Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2018, 11:10 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,093,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I don't think this stacks up - one society declares war, while fisherman from another nation get charged with an offense.

I think this is about creating a zoo, and overlooking murder, to justify that.
Nah.. yours doesn't stack up. I don't think the natives nor anyone in that area thinks of that island as a zoo. You are free to think of that way but no one cares.

I never said anything about the fisherman. India has strict laws regarding that island and the fisherman violated those laws. They should be charged. There are reports of individuals approaching the island (not landing) and they too have been charged. I also believe they are in the process changing those rules (revoking them). So idiots who approach it are doing so at their own risk.

Old 11-22-2018, 11:17 AM

"In practice, Indian authorities recognise the islanders' desire to be left alone and restrict their role to remote monitoring; they do not prosecute them for killing non-Sentinelese people.[8][9] The island is in effect a sovereign area under Indian protection."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Sentinel_Island

So its only murder if the Sentinelese people say its murder. I'm sure they have ways to deal with cases of murder from within their own. They are considered sovereign... governing themselves. They have the right to treat it as an invasion and act accordingly.

The guy died at his own volition knowing very well the risks he is taking (he wrote about it in left behind letters and diary). He was also warned when they shot at him on his first approach and confronted by youths. That in of itself probably but the people at high alert.

Old 11-22-2018, 11:17 AM

2,660 posts, read 1,554,286 times
Quote:
It seems like many don't care about murder either.

They probably don't care about the right of the children in those islands either, because they want some sort of zoo that offers a "window to our past", or some other such garbage
These people don't leave their island so they pose no threat, all they ask is to be left alone. Your imperialistic attitude is pretty disgusting, I have to say.

Old 11-22-2018, 11:21 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,661,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Nah.. yours doesn't stack up. I don't think the natives nor anyone in that area thinks of that island as a zoo. You are free to think of that way but no one cares.

I never said anything about the fisherman. India has strict laws regarding that island and the fisherman violated those laws. They should be charged. There are reports of individuals approaching the island (not landing) and they too have been charged. I also believe they are in the process changing those rules (revoking them). So idiots who approach it are doing so at their own risk.
India has strict laws about a society that decides it can declare war whenever it wants? -how does that work?

If India is changing it's laws now, then obviously all the talk of germs and viruses, was likely exaggerated.

Old 11-22-2018, 11:21 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,130,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Impose my beliefs on you and others? Really? Surely you didn't mean to type that, right? I have as much right to discuss my opinion as does anyone else in here. You don't have to agree... but just because you don't doesn't mean I'm imposing my beliefs on you.
Sharing your views with someone who is interested or accepting is one thing. Pushing yourself on people who have expressed their desire to be left alone IS imposing, and I can't think of a stronger way to express the desire to be left alone than to shoot arrows at someone.

Old 11-22-2018, 11:24 AM

Quote:
India has strict laws about a society that decides it can declare war whenever it wants? -how does that work?

If India is changing it's laws now, then obviously all the talk of germs and viruses, was likely exaggerated.
You don't need to declare war to have the right to protect your own. War was mentioned in my post to counter your point that murder of an invading external entity is unjustified. No I also never said that India nor the Sentinese declared war... that's you.

You simply taking it out of context because you have no foundation to debate.

Old 11-22-2018, 11:26 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,661,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
These people don't leave their island so they pose no threat, all they ask is to be left alone. Your imperialistic attitude is pretty disgusting, I have to say.
Who knows what they think? -it's a closed society

Do you think all North Koreans think, whatever their government says?

Your desire to treat these people as specimens, is disgusting.

Old 11-22-2018, 11:26 AM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
What's sad is your tortured attempt to make this story about one of your myriad political obsessions.
Yes, and his POV is deplorable.

Old 11-22-2018, 11:31 AM

10,345 posts, read 8,561,064 times
Quote:
Seems like some don't understand the meaning of what a savage is, but then want to preach about noble savages.

A taste of disease will be good for these people -no more brainwashed kids who fear the outside world, for starters.

It's amazing how easily some people justify murder. It's not about christianity either -these savages would murder the shipwrecked sailor.
A taste of disease will be good for them?....
If it wipes all of them out?
Maybe you need to get a better understanding of the outside world yourself.

Old 11-22-2018, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Who knows what they think? -it's a closed society

Do you think all North Koreans think, whatever their government says?

Your desire to treat these people as specimens, is disgusting.
Hands off approach is the ultimate sign of respecting their wishes. That isn't treating them like specimens.

Your attempt to bring North Korean into the mix is weak...

Yes I do agree though... closed society... as such let them decide how to act according to their laws whatever that may be. They are to be treated as a sovereign nation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events