Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2018, 10:14 PM

15,426 posts, read 7,482,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
Storage Wars is 100% fake and staged.

When somebody stops paying for their storage unit and the company forecloses, they MUST do a complete inventory of the unit, and send it to the renters with details that they are going to sell it at auction.

They know everything that's in the unit, and the former owners will almost always likely come back to remove anything they feel has enough value to bother with. Unless maybe the former owners are dead, etc.
California law appears to only require a general description of the goods, not a detailed inventory. In this case, that would mean the description would include "safe". The storage facility isn't going to open the safe. I think it's also safe to assume that many of the units are described as "many boxes full of stuff". The unit in the story wasn't part of a Storage Wars episode, it was sold in an auction conducted by the Dotsons, who are the most frequent auctioneers in the show. Not every auction they do is on the show.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2018, 11:29 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
My (friendly) ex has a storage unit, and I've repeatedly urged him to write down somewhere (where we can find it), the location, locker number, etc. Because if he doesn't, we have no idea where it is, and he's getting up in years and needs to start thinking about making things easier for my son and the other relatives when he passes on.

However, from what he told me last time we discussed it a few months ago, there isn't much of anything of value in there, and he regrets having paid the rent on it for over 15 years. So I'm hoping he might just clean it out and stop paying to rent it. If not, and we can't find where it is, someone is getting a lot of orchid potting medium and some other fairly low-value items if it goes to auction.

So I do understand how these things happen. Lack of communication with family members --> sudden death --> unclaimed locker.
I did notice once that tv show became somewhat popular (storage wars), I would see storage unit auctions in the newspaper a lot more often, I knew a few people that attended, they said nearly everything was all junk, but I guess that can vary greatly, depending on the area.

Seems like that show has been good the storage locker people, auctioning off the contents makes them some extra profit, and more importantly they do not have to empty the unit out, people go to the auctions thinking they are going to hit the jackpot, but do not realize, its similar odds to winning the powerball.

Old 11-24-2018, 05:43 AM

16,277 posts, read 10,408,335 times
I am one to doubt any truth on a reality TV show. But for fun I'll pretend this story is true. My first thought was why would the person feel the need to settle? It's that person's property now. But if it were me who discovered the money I'd instantly be concerned. What law abiding person keeps that much cash? No I would assume it's drug money and the owner could be in prison. He could also find me very easily and have his boys pay me a visit. Like finding a bag of money under a bridge this would make me nervous.

Old 11-24-2018, 06:12 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,313,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I am one to doubt any truth on a reality TV show. But for fun I'll pretend this story is true. My first thought was why would the person feel the need to settle? It's that person's property now. But if it were me who discovered the money I'd instantly be concerned. What law abiding person keeps that much cash? No I would assume it's drug money and the owner could be in prison. He could also find me very easily and have his boys pay me a visit. Like finding a bag of money under a bridge this would make me nervous.
Yeah kind of agree unless this is a publicity stunt it would be strange to just come across that much cash and not wonder where it came from since most people keep that large of an amount in the bank.

Old 11-24-2018, 06:22 AM

17,302 posts, read 22,030,713 times
How big was the safe? Roughly a million fits in a briefcase if you use $100 (US) bills.

Old 11-24-2018, 06:44 AM

2,211 posts, read 1,572,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Good point, but there is a reality show involved? Perhaps that had something to do with it. Maybe the show paid them, it's hard to tell about these things sometime. I also seem to remember that "Storage Wars" came under fire for being staged, which, if true, must have been egregious, because all reality shows are staged, to some degree.
"To Some Degree" ? I stopped watching TV a long time ago, they are produced "just like any other show." Even the Court shows are "staged" .. it's real Judges/"Arbitrators" but the show itself is "Take 1," "Take 2," ....

Storage Wars, Parking Wars, "Oh they are filming something today"

Old 11-24-2018, 06:46 AM

2,211 posts, read 1,572,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
Yeah kind of agree unless this is a publicity stunt it would be strange to just come across that much cash and not wonder where it came from since most people keep that large of an amount in the bank.
Drug dealers ain't most people

(I only have a shoebox with $125 in it now. Twice, have I had north of $500. All tips from the gas station. Get that money...)

Old 11-24-2018, 08:22 AM

8,757 posts, read 9,462,454 times
Quote:

Would not the drug dealer have had eyes on the unit, he wouldn't have let that unit go into auction to begin with. Someone would have claimed it for him long before at the very least moved the money to another unit. If anyone says maybe the dealer was worried about law enforcement/feds watching then someone would still be watching when they came forward to claim the money.

Old 11-24-2018, 10:04 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times
Quote:
This is a great point to bring up about these kinds of shows...I very much doubt they are real, like they claim.

I remember the times when everyone thought 'To catch a predator' was real....turns out though, none of it was real, they were all actors and everything was scripted.

Old 11-24-2018, 10:26 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,616,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I did notice once that tv show became somewhat popular (storage wars), I would see storage unit auctions in the newspaper a lot more often, I knew a few people that attended, they said nearly everything was all junk, but I guess that can vary greatly, depending on the area.
Most of the time, it's just old furniture and boxes and boxes of old clothes and neglected paraphernalia. Nothing you or me would likely choose to bother with, especially at auction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events