Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2018, 09:56 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Military or police?

Trash collector.

Gotta love auto-correct sometimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2018, 10:04 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,822,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
It sounds as if the employee was making fun of the child's name, not the child herself. She should have been making fun of the mother for giving the girl such a,silly name. And btw, what does the fact the girl has epilepsy have to do with anything? That wasn't being made fun of either.

I wonder if the name has some meaning in some other language.

Sure. The employee was behaving foolishly but the mother is overreacting. That can't make the kid feel good either.
It's called padding the issue. Makes things look worse on an offender, and more sympathy for the offended. It's ever so commonplace, nobody generally notices.

Old 11-30-2018, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltdontcare View Post
The little girl asked her mom why someone was making fun of her name. Wait til the kid is old enough to know that her mom is an idiot.

I wonder what her middle name is...
Wontoothree?

Old 11-30-2018, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsa71 View Post
I heard the mother's favourite song was Bohemian Rabcde
That's how I'm going to spell my last name, now. Jax Rabcde.

Old 11-30-2018, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Posting the boarding pass was stupid.
I do wonder why the mom stopped at E, why not Abcdefghi to really make a statement! Or did she think that would be too hard to spell?
Abciteifae?

Old 11-30-2018, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
I once had a student named Orangello. He told me it was his mom’s favorite flavor of gelatin dessert.

People often forget that having the right to free expression does not mean that one’s use of that right protects one from ridicule and contempt.
A psychic walks in to a beauty salon and sees four women each with a kid.
The psychic looks at them and sez; "I bet I can guess each of your kids names and why."
They challenged her, and told her to prove it.
She looked at the first woman; "You are a golddigger, you love money, that's why you named your daughter; Penny."
At the second woman; "You love luxury cars. You love them so much, you named your daughter; Mercedes."
The third woman; "You like food, just loves to eat. You named your daughter; Debbie."
The fourth woman looked at her son and said; "C'mon Dick, let's get outta here."

Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniej65 View Post
I won't give her name since the internet can be creepy (especially for younger women). My sister changed it because she finally realized that it was stupid and my niece was starting pre-school and if she was going to change it she needed to do it before she started school.
My oldest has a normal name, but in his first name I replaced two letters with one, that makes the same sound and replaced one letter in his middle name with a letter that makes the same sound. Still pronounced the same it normally is.

Old 11-30-2018, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
I prounouce it McCall I usually write it Mic-Hal. I expect the Hebrew pronunciation would sound different but I have enough trouble getting people to say McCall.
Hebrew pronunciation is probably Mi-hock a lugee-call.

Old 12-01-2018, 12:19 AM

2,163 posts, read 1,550,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Agent is wrong, but damn, that parent is an idiot and deserves to be mocked for naming the kid such a stupid name.

This is just the beginning for the kid...I am sure she will use an alternative name pretty quickly.
Oh, the stupidity and selfishness of it. 'I'll name her a ridiculous name and revel in how cute everyone tells me it is!!!!'

Nevermind that she has to grow up with that horrific name. Reminds me of the guy who went through his entire life with his name misspelled 'Xzavier' because his mom had no clue.

Old 12-01-2018, 12:31 AM

5,818 posts, read 2,669,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobCaldwell View Post
Oh, the stupidity and selfishness of it. 'I'll name her a ridiculous name and revel in how cute everyone tells me it is!!!!'

Nevermind that she has to grow up with that horrific name. Reminds me of the guy who went through his entire life with his name misspelled 'Xzavier' because his mom had no clue.
Maybe she did know, but was trying to be "neat" or "original".

That's just as awful, though.

Old 12-01-2018, 02:03 AM

2,360 posts, read 1,439,019 times
For all those ragging on the SWA employee...

Yes, that was unprofessional, but, guess what? Sometimes you will be around tactless, unprofessional people and they will be jerks, they will say stupid, damaging things, and you will not be able to control what they say.

As I posted before, I have an unusual first name and it was my 4th GRADE TEACHER who twisted my name into something even more strange and actually encouraged the classroom to join in. That was a terrible year that permanently traumatized me. I also had a very weird “maiden” name, so I learned to put up my fists at an early age in order to not be bullied.

When I married my 2nd husband, I kept the last name of my much-hated 1st husband, because #2 had a weird last name, #1’s last name was extremely common, and I was not going to go through any more s*** because of my name.

Really, I would have loved to legally change my name to Jane Jones, but didn’t want to go through the hassle with D/L, SS, passport, credit, professional licensure, property records etc., etc.

Moral of story, don’t give your kid a weird name and expect that they won’t suffer because of your stupidity/arrogance/narcissism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events