Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 02:00 PM

28,671 posts, read 18,795,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
No, it's really not easy to see how someone could hear Chang for John. They don't sound anything alike.
Yes, they do:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAEYFQ7rVHg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2018, 04:41 PM

4,004 posts, read 2,082,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post

Maybe, like if you were drinking tequila shots on your break or something, and then thought you heard Chang instead of John when you returned to your job.

Old 12-02-2018, 05:34 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,400,677 times
Quote:
No, it's really not easy to see how someone could hear Chang for John. They don't sound anything alike. When asked about why she put "Chang" down for the name, she laughed. She did it to be funny. It's not funny though, it was extremely rude to the customer.
Then the claim it being racist seems to carry merit. Wonder how much longer until the lawsuit card is utilized.

Old 12-02-2018, 05:52 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
He didn't order through the app, he ordered at the register. He payed with a gift card through the Starbucks app, but still gave his name to the cashier verbally.

When the barista asked for his name, Festejo said, "I said, 'My name is John.'"

His full name, Johncarl, was also clearly displayed on the app he used to pay for his order.

However, the barista chose a different name for him.
https://www.kcra.com/article/vacavil...-race/25364863
I can almost see how the name Johncarl could be misheard as Chang. What if he pronounced it like the French "Jean"? It's hard to hear anything when those those infernal espresso machines are gurgling in the background.

In any event, these baristas should be sent back to name-decipering training camp.

Old 12-02-2018, 06:16 PM

3,101 posts, read 2,003,983 times
People & their outrage has been a long time thing, even though I do see it getting ridiculously worse. We can't know everything about everyone & in a huge melting pot of a country with 330M citizens. How on earth are we supposed to be aware of every single culture/language in every single 'hood, in every single city, in every single state/province/county/territory in every single country on every single continent? I'm 3 different, obscure nationalities of which most know little... so? Why should you be expected to?

I've had foreign friends who could never say my name properly... so be it. Neither can most of my neighbors. I don't shame them for insulting my heritage or culture or bother correcting others unless it's at work, where a person is going to call me by a different name day after day. Most are so fearful, they just don't call me anything... a bit impersonal, but I get it, because it seems Americans take the brunt of the shaming when one isn't completely aware or makes a minor flub. Others seem to get a pass. And, now, those who blow molehills into mountains tell 300M of their closest friends on FB or Twitter that they got hurt feelings & oh, yeah, the person was also racist & rude. Stop it.

Firstly, who gives their real name at SBucks? Part of the fun is to be 3 different people/wk... start with A, work down to Z. Or, give as many tree names as you can (Cherry, Aspen, Ash) then switch to animals (Lark, Fawn) then switch to punk band names from the 70s. Hee haw, you can have a whole lotta fun at your local java joint.

Seriously, no one can properly pronounce my 1st or last name, so if at SBucks I spell it... the barista then looks at it, realizes they'll not get it & just announces my drink. Lol. It's part of the fun to see if they'll attempt. Nope, no one, never. I don't care. Just make me a great drink, I'll give ya a handful of shiny coins & we'll call it even... I'll still think of ya as my friendly, neighborhood barista.

Besides, those who complain are usually the ones who are the least aware, in my experience. I've worked with people who weren't particularly caring or knowledgeable of other's heritages & at times, said silly things & stuck their feet in their mouths (that goes 'round the block... male/female, varying ages, varying countries of origin)... however, if someone pronounced their name differently or didn't know a small detail of their culture/language/traditions/religions, they'd toss a fit.

I don't care if you can pronounce my name. Just be polite & we're good & if ya really wanna know, ask & I'll repeat it as many times as you'd like.

Old 12-02-2018, 10:20 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,994,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
Maybe, like if you were drinking tequila shots on your break or something, and then thought you heard Chang instead of John when you returned to your job.
Or if you're in a loud, busy Starbucks in the morning.

Old 12-02-2018, 10:27 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I can almost see how the name Johncarl could be misheard as Chang. What if he pronounced it like the French "Jean"?
Why would he pronounce it like Jean? That nakes no sense.

And he gave his name as John, not Johncarl.

Old 12-02-2018, 10:28 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Or if you're in a loud, busy Starbucks in the morning.
They were able to hear all three items he ordered jist fine, but when it came to giving his name suddenly they hear John as Chang? Not buying it. The cashier was being an idiot and thought she was being funny.

Old 12-02-2018, 10:45 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,994,090 times
Quote:
They were able to hear all three items he ordered jist fine, but when it came to giving his name suddenly they hear John as Chang? Not buying it. The cashier was being an idiot and thought she was being funny.
I worked in service through school, at a busy and often rather loud ice cream chain, with machines on and going right behind me half the time, and I can say it is definitely possible to hear some things a customer says and not others, or to hear them wrong because of the noise. Happened to me a bunch of times. Places like that get loud, between blenders whirring and other machines making sounds, customers being loud, sometimes having multiple registers with multiple people ordering at once.

I agree with those saying it's unlikely any employee did this on purpose, maliciously, knowing the receipts are visible right on the cup for the customer to see.

Old 12-03-2018, 02:32 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
I don't care and neither should anyone else, including Chang.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events