Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 12:43 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,208,506 times

Advertisements

He should have sat in the passenger seat or the back. Then this wouldn't be a thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2018, 12:56 PM

3,658 posts, read 2,548,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
He should have sat in the passenger seat or the back. Then this wouldn't be a thing.
Do you guys think this is like the "Jetsons"? The car isn't 100% driver free. He is STILL responsible for what happens in the car. He can't just get hammered and say: "Home James" and expect to dose off until he is in the driveway.

Old 12-04-2018, 01:38 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,542,114 times
i wonder if it is a crime to sleep in a car (not drunk) with auto-pilot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
... Highway patrol officers say when the Model S driver failed to yield for a traffic stop
so the auto-pilot malfunctioned ?
if he wasnt drunk or asleep would he get the traffic ticket or would the police department mail the ticket to tesla ?

Old 12-04-2018, 01:49 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,705,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
i wonder if it is a crime to sleep in a car (not drunk) with auto-pilot.so the auto-pilot malfunctioned ?
if he wasnt drunk or asleep would he get the traffic ticket or would the police department mail the ticket to tesla ?
There are no commercially available cars that have true autonomous function. Tesla's "autopilot" is a dumbed-down version of what's on their test vehicles, and it's meant to be a driver assist, not a chauffeur.* There are new laws that specifically state such commercially-made assists can be used but the driver must be alert and ready to take control at any time.

So, no, you can't take an un-inebriated nap, either. Nor read, check your texts or have sex.

And no, there is no legal situation yet where the maker would be responsible; remember that "alert" driver?

* Actually, it's more of a marketing gimmick and the sort of lower-lip-out sulk at regulating authorities of a kid who shouts back, "I'm not in the refrigerator, I'm in the kitchen!"

Old 12-04-2018, 01:51 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,208,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
Do you guys think this is like the "Jetsons"? The car isn't 100% driver free. He is STILL responsible for what happens in the car. He can't just get hammered and say: "Home James" and expect to dose off until he is in the driveway.
Just saying if he wasn't in the driver's seat he wouldn't have been "driving".

Old 12-04-2018, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
Just saying if he wasn't in the driver's seat he wouldn't have been "driving".
1) You can't autopilot a car from the back seat.

2) If you throw a rock, it's not the rock's fault it goes through a window.

Just sayin'.

Old 12-04-2018, 02:04 PM

3,254 posts, read 3,745,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Self driving cars will be cheap? Like out to what year are we projecting?

If cannot afford a way back, probably should not be out drinking.
In theory, self-driving cars should be very cheap. As to what year, I would say about 10 years after the first major city or state takes the plunge and allows them on their roads and the benefits are realized immediately. Go look at how quick Broadway in New York City went from having >95% horses to >95% cars. It was less than 15 years.

Ubers are already fairly inexpensive and when you remove having to pay the labor (driver), the cost is going to drop dramatically.

Over the life of my car, I spend about $750/month on it. That includes the payment, gas, insurance, maintenance, etc.

There will likely be fewer reasons to own a car as self-driving cars will be all over the place. Why waste that $750/month on a car when you can just put that money towards autonomous driving rides... which will be a fraction of the cost they are right now?

Seems much more efficient than having a 4000 pound machine sitting around doing nothing for 23 hours a day. I could see people having a fleet of their own self-driving cars that generate passive income for them. Margins will be razor thin because otherwise it would be so easy to just print money doing this.

There are also some pretty obvious advantages. If you spend 1 hour out of the 16 you are awake driving, you can now spend that hour surfing the internet, reading a book, working, watching TV, etc.

Old 12-04-2018, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
In theory, self-driving cars should be very cheap.
"...but in practice, theory and practice are not the same thing."

Other than goodwill towards the masses, why on earth would auto makers make AVs cheaper (net) than cars today? You completely fail to grasp the economics of the consumer-goods industry here.

Quote:
Ubers are already fairly inexpensive and when you remove having to pay the labor (driver), the cost is going to drop dramatically.
Will they, now. Or - just maybe - will the price remain about the same because a market standard has been established over the last 100 years and there is absolutely no reason nor advantage to slashing its street cost?

Quote:
Over the life of my car, I spend about $750/month on it. That includes the payment, gas, insurance, maintenance, etc.
And you could slash that by driving a car for 10 years instead of 4.

Old 12-04-2018, 03:05 PM

3,254 posts, read 3,745,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
"...but in practice, theory and practice are not the same thing."

Other than goodwill towards the masses, why on earth would auto makers make AVs cheaper (net) than cars today? You completely fail to grasp the economics of the consumer-goods industry here.
What? The point is that you won't need to buy a car. That's why it will be cheaper. The fact that new car sales could dip by 75% could definitely put downward pressure on prices.

Quote:
Will they, now. Or - just maybe - will the price remain about the same because a market standard has been established over the last 100 years and there is absolutely no reason nor advantage to slashing its street cost?
The cost of a driverless taxi will obviously plummet compared to one with a driver. If you take an uber ride that today costs $20 and remove the driver's labor, you are talking about slashing 50% or more of the cost of the ride. Allow for a modest profit for the owner of the car, and you are still talking about a $10 trip instead of a $20 trip. If you don't think adding tens of millions of taxi drivers (computers) to the roads will drive down the cost of a taxi ride, I think it is you that fails to grasp economics.

No advantage to slashing the cost of a driverless ride? How about the fact that everyone else has dropped their price so if you don't, you'll get no business? Would that qualify as a "reason or advantage"?

Quote:
And you could slash that by driving a car for 10 years instead of 4.
I'm in my mid 30s and drove a '98 from 2002 to 2008 and a '05 from 2008 to 2018. Even when you hold on to cars for a long time, they still eat money.

Old 12-04-2018, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
What? The point is that you won't need to buy a car. That's why it will be cheaper. The fact that new car sales could dip by 75% could definitely put downward pressure on prices.

The cost of a driverless taxi will obviously plummet compared to one with a driver.

No advantage to slashing the cost of a driverless ride? How about the fact that everyone else has dropped their price so if you don't, you'll get no business? Would that qualify as a "reason or advantage"?
I see you've studied a little economics. Google up the quote about a little learning etc.

I'll simply point out that you are reasoning from the "everyone plays fair and for the public good" notion that infuses all Biz/Econ/Mgmt 1xx classes and their little Fisher-Price play worlds. That notion is... something you would study in more detail over in the Ag buildings, especially if you're majoring in the care and feeding of livestock. Every one of the entities you assume would drop prices would find ways to maintain market-expected levels, if not raise them. To think otherwise is to have not gone on to any honest history of business and economics. (F'rex, a basic computer should cost about $25. Funny how shelf pricing has stayed pretty level for almost 30 years, isn't it?)

Quote:
Even when you hold on to cars for a long time, they still eat money.
Not nearly as much as when you buy them on reasonable terms, pay them off and have no payments at least 50% of the time. It is simply not true that a newer car costs just as much in year 5 as it did with payments in years 1-4... and that trope right there is a good example of how the market coerces you into signing up for yet another round of expenses, instead of saying, "Hey, kid, why don't you save a bunch of money until you really need a new car?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events