Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 11:00 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,898,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
At 10 years old walking a mile shouldn't "exhaust" her. She looks to be appropriately dressed for the weather as well.
Make that five miles. It is reported that the child walked five miles, not one mile. If it were only one mile, I would not have a problem with making her walk to school. Five miles is excessive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2018, 11:08 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,630 posts, read 17,968,125 times
I really can't stand it when parents do this.

Really. What an incredible bully.

The apple didn't fall far from the tree, fella.

Old 12-06-2018, 11:30 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,474,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
It would take far more than one hour for an average ten-year-old to walk five miles. I walked one mile home from high school, and it typically took me half an hour, walking at an average pace. So figure I was walking at a speed of two miles per hour - but I was fourteen and a half to seventeen years old during those three years. If I had run, of course I would have made better time - but what ten year old can run five miles during frigid conditions, while laden with school books and other supplies?

I am glad the father walked with his daughter. I hope they had some good conversations - not all about bullying - during that time. Perhaps by the end of the suspension, dad could reminisce about his own youthful errors and/or how it feels to be on the other end of bullying, and the daughter would be able to hear him and benefit by it. And I hope the father truly listened to his daughter and gained insight into what led her to bullying: are her parents pushing her too hard? Does she have low self-esteem? Does she take pleasure in tormenting others? Is her target always the same child or children? What is behind her bad behavior?

If the daughter had walked alone, it would have been potentially dangerous and she would have seethed with resentment, most likely.

Not sure posting this on YouTube was a constructive decision - seems that would lead to further embarrassment for the daughter and more resentment.

I also wonder how exhausted and cold she was when she got to school, and how much learning could take place for an exhausted, shivering child?

So I have mixed feelings about this response. But the daughter will never forget it - for better or worse.

Okay, Just read some responses posting while I was writing this - did the father walk, or did he drive his car along beside his daughter while she walked alone, lecturing her constantly? If the latter, that's very destructive and demeaning behavior.

Then posting it for all the world to see - does this man truly love his daughter, or does he view her solely as a reflection of himself? Again, if it's the latter, it implies narcissism on the part of the father, and it's no wonder the child acted out. She did to others just what her father is likely to have done to her.
Obviously you didn't read the article or watch the video. He didn't walk with her. He didn't talk with her. He drove behind her, filming her. He'd occasionally pull up next to her in his warm car and talked AT her, reminding her why she was walking and freezing for five miles. That's abusive!

Old 12-06-2018, 11:48 AM

29,515 posts, read 22,653,459 times
It reminds me of that loon a while back who grandstandingly filmed himself using his gun to shoot his daughter's laptop, and then patting himself on the back by posting it on social media. Of course people ate it up, praising him for his 'courage' and 'discipline.'

Same same.

All a bunch of narcissist bullies who want their 15 minutes of fame. Where do you think these kids learned their behavior from, the apple truly does not fall far from the tree.

Old 12-06-2018, 12:10 PM

50,789 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
It's going to **** her off... And the dad posting it with hopes of it going "viral" to make himself feel good... Eh... I can go on about the list of things wrong here.
Did you read the last post up? He used the walk to discuss it with her. I came on prepared to lambast him but the details in the last post changed my mind I think he did a good thing.

I don’t automatically blame parents. I know many families with one bad apple kid raised exactly same as the others. My brother bullied me, I was over empathetic. Neither was taught to us but simply our personalities.

Old 12-06-2018, 12:51 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Did you read the last post up? He used the walk to discuss it with her. I came on prepared to lambast him but the details in the last post changed my mind I think he did a good thing.
Did you watch the video? He drove in his car behind her. He didnt walk to school with her, nor did they have a heart to heart chat about bullying.

He wanted to embarrass his daughter by making this video and putting it out there for the world to see.

Old 12-06-2018, 12:56 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,309,828 times
I have no problem with making her walk to school, maybe next time she would think twice about bullying someone on the school bus, however I do have a problem with filming her and posting it on social media. That is just to humiliate her and hurt her. She may be a bully but she is still a child. Punishment such as consequences for their actions should be used as a teaching tool, not a way to humiliate her.

Old 12-06-2018, 01:00 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,474,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post

I don’t automatically blame parents. I know many families with one bad apple kid raised exactly same as the others. My brother bullied me, I was over empathetic. Neither was taught to us but simply our personalities.
He didn't walk with her. You know nothing about what happened because you didn't read the article or watch the video... yet you've determined that the child is "a bad apple kid"?

Old 12-06-2018, 01:03 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,627,476 times
Good for him. These kids need more discipline. Most get whatever they want and do what they want.

Old 12-06-2018, 01:39 PM

50,789 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
He didn't walk with her. You know nothing about what happened because you didn't read the article or watch the video... yet you've determined that the child is "a bad apple kid"?
I’m not saying she’s a bad Apple. I’m saying kids who are, were not necessarily raised poorly. People have this idea that only bad parents get badly behaved kids, I disagree. I got the walk with her part from another post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events