Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 01:50 PM

19,625 posts, read 9,159,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
If schools want to discuss all the different holidays and celebrations that occur, then of course Christmas and other Christian holidays should be included. My concern is when Christmas and Easter are the ONLY ones that get mentioned and observed in any manner.

More information and exposure to all the beliefs and cultures of the people who make up our country is great. Forcing one particular belief system on everyone because it's the majority is not.
I am 65, but even long ago when I attended public school way in a predominantly Protestant Ohio suburb, I still remember learning about Hanukkah and the menorah and the dreidel, so I do think that even back then, schools did make an effort to be inclusive, but the challenge now is that there are many more cultures and religions more prominent in the U.S. now then there was in the mid-20th century.

According to the following link:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...-of-americans/

In 1960, the percentages by religious affiliation looked like this:

Protestant: 67%
Catholic: 25%
Jewish: 3%
Other Specific: 2%
None: 2%
Undesignated: 1%

However, in 2017, according to the same link, more categories are listed, and the percentages look like this:

Protestant: 38%
Catholic: 21%
Non-Specific Christian: 9%
Mormon: 2%
Jewish: 2%
Other Specific: 5%
None: 20%
Undesignated: 4%

So, in 57 years, the percentage of people identifying themselves as Christian has gone down from 92% to 70%, while the percentage of people in the 'Other Specific' category has gone up from 2% to 5%, and the percentage of people saying they don't have any religious affiliation has gone up from 2% to a whopping 20%!

So, my opinion is that people who were born before 1970 or so need to realize that the U.S. they grew up in has changed and will continue to change, and the simple fact is that Christians are not nearly as much of a majority as was the case when they were young. That being so, I think that they can either (1) accept it, (2) rant and wail about it, or (3) live some place where Christians are still very much the majority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2018, 01:54 PM

36,163 posts, read 30,636,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobs View Post
Pencils are allowed. They're not shaped like a J.
They can put someones eye out though.

Old 12-12-2018, 01:55 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,894,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
I like this part of her reasoning the best-

"The principal said it was a way to be “inclusive and culturally sensitive” to all students"

Except to the students that happen to like Christmas.

Candy Canes are called that because they are made of candy in the shape of a traditional walking cane, not an inverted J.

Your tax dollars at work folks.
Yep.

If you hear those words, know that the activity being promoted is LGBT or minority promoted, and generally means that you MUST take part in said activity. Or else you are a racist, homophobe anti-something or other.

Or it means that the activity is not ALLOWED to happen because someone who is not LGBT or minority suggested it. Which means that they don't want it because it is racist, homophobe anti-something or other.

That's what tolerance means.

Old 12-12-2018, 02:05 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,439,834 times
It's amazing that people rarely speak out against religious beheadings or of those fanatical Muslims who throw gays off of tall buildings. People are too concerned about the dangers of the offensive Christian candy canes and hot cross buns.

Old 12-12-2018, 02:28 PM

3,199 posts, read 2,398,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VexedAndSolitary View Post
https://www.newsweek.com/nebraska-pr...-jesus-1248609

Someone PLEASE kill me....this is beyond the beyonds.

(she also banned Santa and ornament making)
Stupidity of people, the shape is for a Cane so it can be hung on a tree, not for Jesus. I think the principal better check out Snopes for fake news.

Old 12-12-2018, 02:37 PM

24,296 posts, read 17,043,427 times
The Principal might have a "point" because a kid sucking on one can turn the cane into a point that could be used like a weapon or gasp it could really prove deadly if the kid was to run with the pointed cane in his hand much like the dreaded scissors! Someone could lose an eye or have their jugular gouged out!

All that makes sense, banning the candy cane because it reminds him of the "J" for Jesus is just plain stupid...
Of course "J" also stands for Jew... is it PC to be anti semitic or is it just ok to be anti Christian?

Old 12-12-2018, 03:18 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,705,241 times
Does anyone stop to consider that there are always idiots around, and this is the result of one (1) idiot practicing her trade, not some kind of national movement or legislated oppression?

It's worth a yuk or two. It hardly seems worth 100 posts of argument.

Old 12-12-2018, 05:35 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,439,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Does anyone stop to consider that there are always idiots around, and this is the result of one (1) idiot practicing her trade, not some kind of national movement or legislated oppression?

It's worth a yuk or two. It hardly seems worth 100 posts of argument.

You are post #107. Thanks for your argument (opinion).

Old 12-13-2018, 08:04 AM

5,768 posts, read 3,206,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I am 65, but even long ago when I attended public school way in a predominantly Protestant Ohio suburb, I still remember learning about Hanukkah and the menorah and the dreidel, so I do think that even back then, schools did make an effort to be inclusive, but the challenge now is that there are many more cultures and religions more prominent in the U.S. now then there was in the mid-20th century.

According to the following link:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...-of-americans/

In 1960, the percentages by religious affiliation looked like this:

Protestant: 67%
Catholic: 25%
Jewish: 3%
Other Specific: 2%
None: 2%
Undesignated: 1%

However, in 2017, according to the same link, more categories are listed, and the percentages look like this:

Protestant: 38%
Catholic: 21%
Non-Specific Christian: 9%
Mormon: 2%
Jewish: 2%
Other Specific: 5%
None: 20%
Undesignated: 4%

So, in 57 years, the percentage of people identifying themselves as Christian has gone down from 92% to 70%, while the percentage of people in the 'Other Specific' category has gone up from 2% to 5%, and the percentage of people saying they don't have any religious affiliation has gone up from 2% to a whopping 20%!

So, my opinion is that people who were born before 1970 or so need to realize that the U.S. they grew up in has changed and will continue to change, and the simple fact is that Christians are not nearly as much of a majority as was the case when they were young. That being so, I think that they can either (1) accept it, (2) rant and wail about it, or (3) live some place where Christians are still very much the majority.

Yes, religious demographics have changed. However I don't think that it is your whopping 20% that has issues with Christmas, or Santa, or candy canes, or the colors green and red. In the video that I posted earlier, Prager assigns a hostility toward everything Christmas to a much smaller minority, the anti-religious left. In fact this anti-religious left not only has a problem with everything Christmas but with everything American.

What's troubling about this is that the media actually listens to this radical group of extremists and seeks to placate them. I guess that this goes with the media's commitment to reporting nothing of importance. They keep droning on about who has been murdered now or sexually harassed. As long as it doesn't have a negative impact on corporate bottom line it's OK.

Last edited by Tonyafd; 12-13-2018 at 08:17 AM..

Old 12-13-2018, 09:38 AM

19,625 posts, read 9,159,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
Yes, religious demographics have changed. However I don't think that it is your whopping 20% that has issues with Christmas, or Santa, or candy canes, or the colors green and red. In the video that I posted earlier, Prager assigns a hostility toward everything Christmas to a much smaller minority, the anti-religious left. In fact this anti-religious left not only has a problem with everything Christmas but with everything American.

What's troubling about this is that the media actually listens to this radical group of extremists and seeks to placate them. I guess that this goes with the media's commitment to reporting nothing of importance. They keep droning on about who has been murdered now or sexually harassed. As long as it doesn't have a negative impact on corporate bottom line it's OK.
I know that the term "SJW" is used a lot and is upsetting to many people, but I do agree with you that the extreme and/or anti-religious left is responsible for much of the discord and hatred in the U.S,* and I also agree that the media (generally speaking) is at least as guilty as the SJWs for promoting the so-called "War on Christmas" (although I do think that term is an exaggeration). I don't know if that is because many of those in control of the media are extreme liberals, or if they intentionally try to create controversy in an effort to increase their viewership or readership ratings, or what, but I think the media has a LOT to do with the 'fact' (?) that there is so much divisiveness and even hatred between Americans today.*

However, that being said, I also think that some of the more "outspoken" pastors and the alt-right sometimes exaggerate the problem (by calling it a "war" against their beliefs) and that increases the divide -- but now that being said, I think that this issue is something that should be addressed before the anti-religion minority obliterates the rights of the religious majority.

*Maybe all the hatred and divisiveness is not really so prevalent today, but it certainly seems that way to me in reading some of the posts on City Data!

Last edited by katharsis; 12-13-2018 at 09:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events