Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 11:11 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,020,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
And you apparently do not realize that there is more than one holiday. In a span of about 6 weeks, there's Thanksgiving, Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, New Years. I say Happy Holidays because I am referring to plural holidays. If you want to be stingy with your well wishes and only refer to one holiday, then you do you, Scrooge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
When 80 to 90 percent of a country celebrates a Christian holiday, you claim that it's not OK to stand by and just be tolerant? No one is demanding that you stand up and say a Hail Mary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Christmas is YOUR holiday. Nearly every culture and religion has a holiday late in the year, including the very secular new year's eve.
People who insist that the only holiday is Christmas seem contemptuous of the beliefs of others. Shame on you.
75% of American adults identify as being "Christian." And a lot of people who aren't Christian celebrate Christmas. I don't think it should be taken offensively when someone says "Merry Christmas," and one definitely shouldn't be offended when they hear, "Happy Holidays!"

Plus, I believe that many people -- even those who don't necessarily celebrate a certain holiday -- are willing to share in the good cheer of the holidays that are traditionally celebrated among those in the United States. For example, I stop in the convenience store right by my house on a daily basis. The owner of the store, as well as the employees who work there, are Muslim immigrants from the Middle East. All have happily told me, "Happy Thanksgiving!," asked me about my Thanksgiving, talked to me about the holiday lights in our town, asked me about my Christmas plans, etc. One guy has even been wearing a Santa hat to work for the past week or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2018, 04:37 AM

3,563 posts, read 1,877,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Exactly!!!

Christmas is a christian holiday, a religious celebration of the birth of Jesus into a human world.

For non-christians, the holiday is N/A (not applicable).

I always laugh at those folks that make it a point to say 'Happy holidays' instead of 'Merry Christmas'...they do not realize Christmas IS THE HOLIDAY!!

On a recent shopping trip to the local mall last weekend, one of my sisters kids said it best, (upon seeing all the christmas stuff), she is 6 yrs old btw, she said " WOW, these stores must really love Jesus"
LOVE love love

Old 12-11-2018, 06:17 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,484,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
When two stewardesses wish a man a merry Christmas and he gets so angry that he is removed from the plane, that's anti social behavior. There are other examples of this antisocial behavior toward Christians, some experienced by me as a Roman Catholic who worked in New York City.
It goes both ways. At least once a year, I wish somone "Happy Holidays" and they angrily snap at me saying "NO! It's MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!"

Old 12-11-2018, 06:25 AM

8,268 posts, read 8,641,305 times
I shop in a Muslim owned store and they always wish me a Merry Christmas this time of year. They are first generation immigrants so it isn't like they have become Americanized over several generations.

Old 12-11-2018, 07:16 AM

5,770 posts, read 3,219,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
There is no such thing as a secular symbol of a religious holiday. Yes, the trees and eggs themselves are secular but they are inextricably tied to a holiday that is religious in nature. As a Jewish person, this is an ongoing struggle every year. My child doesn't celebrate Christmas, period. Trees, candy canes ornaments, Santa Claus, none of it is applicable.

I am no fan of the conservative news media. I am confident that the amount of fake news that they disseminate in a daily basis is staggering. By calling the Christian celebration of Christmas an ongoing struggle for you, are you suggesting that there may be some credibility to their claims of a war on Christmas?

Old 12-11-2018, 07:38 AM

5,770 posts, read 3,219,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
It goes both ways. At least once a year, I wish somone "Happy Holidays" and they angrily snap at me saying "NO! It's MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!"

That's a far cry from being removed from a plane, or threatening a town with a law suit if the tree is set up on town property.

Old 12-11-2018, 07:44 AM

36,492 posts, read 30,820,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
One Christmas tradition website I read said the origin behind the candy cane was to remind people of the crook carried by the shepherds who visited Mary, Joseph, and newborn Jesus in the Bethlehem stable. That was also my vague recollection from childhood too. Well, leave it to the present day to get upset about the shape of a piece of candy. Everything seems to provide fodder for the much-too-easily-insulted, the much-too-easily threatened, the much-too-easily panicked.
And here I always thought it was to make it easier to hang on the Christmas tree.

Old 12-11-2018, 08:14 AM

8,035 posts, read 10,624,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Principal has been placed on leave and issued an apology, as has the school system's Superintendent.
How about an EXPLANATION??

Wow. I'm so glad I grew up when I did, and that my own kids are out of school now. I feel sorry for my future grandchildren.

Old 12-11-2018, 08:15 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,431,197 times
Here's an interesting explanation from one of the comments given.

Different interpretation.

Quote:
Jennifer Sinclair is a perfect example of a christian trying to be "tolerant" from a place of utter ignorance, and not doing the research.
The shape of the candy cane is NOT a "j", and has NOTHING TO DO with Jesus.
Its a sacred staff of a priest of the temple of Saturn.
Saturnalia is december 25th.
The victorians added a curl to the end to hang it from their YULE trees, which honour the Alfather Odin.
The colours are symbolic of the Holly berries and leaves, which keep their colour into deep winter, and are also sacred to the Celtic PAGAN tradition.
Seriously. Christians spent centuries trying to stamp out these symbols precisely because they WERE pagan.

Old 12-11-2018, 08:23 AM

8,035 posts, read 10,624,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Well, I know everyone is criticizing this but the reality is the school is totally missing the point anyway

There is no such thing as a secular symbol of a religious holiday. Yes, the trees and eggs themselves are secular but they are inextricably tied to a holiday that is religious in nature. As a Jewish person, this is an ongoing struggle every year. My child doesn't celebrate Christmas, period. Trees, candy canes ornaments, Santa Claus, none of it is applicable.

If they are doing a unit on holidays in general and include discussions of Hanukkah, Eid al-Fitr, Kwanzaa, Diwali or whatever, then of course Christmas can and should be included.

But when you observe ONLY Christmas but claim it's ok because you are using secular representations, then trust me, a Jewish or other non-Christian child is being discriminated against and being told they are supposed to be observing a Christian holiday.
Interesting. We always studied the Hanukkah traditions, along with the Christmas ones, when I was in school.

I remember singing the dreidel song in school chorus. And that was 40, 50 years ago! Maybe it was because of the area I grew up in.

So, I guess now none of the celebrations of the "Holidays" should be discussed or studied in school. We're left with shopping, snowmen, and hot chocolate. How very blah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events