Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 04:02 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,023,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachie123 View Post
i'm with fluffycat...i don't understand any of this...

makes three of us......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2018, 05:05 PM

3,563 posts, read 1,877,830 times
So thus far all responders -save one- agree this is wrong.

It was on my local news and the comments there (online) are overwhelmingly POSITIVE. WTH.

Old 12-12-2018, 07:29 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,055,330 times
Munchausin mom.

Old 12-12-2018, 07:54 PM

736 posts, read 455,871 times
I'm sure the other children enjoyed seeing a child thier age with a tube in his tummy and that this child will treasure the memory of the day mom made a spectacle of him in public.

Old 12-13-2018, 03:55 AM

1,860 posts, read 1,244,829 times
I really dont think it's that bad. I mean it seems an odd request but she asked permission, santa agreed. The child was reportedly ecstatic about it and there is a plate of cookies on the chair with him. It seems she wanted to commemorate having "cookies and milk" with santa. Just because hes been cleared for oral doesnt mean hes actually getting his nutrition from it, just getting started. I felt it was a sweet moment. Again focusing on the happiness and joy this moment gave the child is what Christmas is about.

Old 12-13-2018, 06:14 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,467,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I too am baffled, by this comment from Salzbrenner's Facebook page:

This santa deserves to be recognized for his willingness to tube feed my little guy so that he felt included in sharing cookies with santa!

It makes no sense.

There's this from the news story:

She got the idea to get a picture of Santa feeding her son from a Facebook page she follows of other moms with kids that use feeding tubes.

I conclude the OP is correct: The photos were social media fodder, intended to boost the mom's stock.
Fluffy beat me to it. Facebook was my first thought. Mama wanted to post the attention-getting photo on Facebook. It's too sick for my tastes. Plus, I don't trust anybody.

Had I been Santa I would have refused the strange request. Suppose something went wrong... or maybe mama was crazy and did something bad to the feeding tube, so she could later blame the kids sickness or death on Santa.

Sharing a real cookie with Santa would have made more sense.

Old 12-13-2018, 06:49 AM

3,563 posts, read 1,877,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PesachSeder View Post
I'm sure the other children enjoyed seeing a child thier age with a tube in his tummy and that this child will treasure the memory of the day mom made a spectacle of him in public.
Right?! It's a medical situation, one that is able to be concealed. Why is broadcasting our medical needs now a thing? Not to mention the boy is 4 and has no say in the matter; pure exploitation by Mother.

Old 12-13-2018, 09:36 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,336,894 times
When my kids were young they visited Santa yearly. Never did they share a cookie or snack with Santa.

I have a lot of empathy for parents and children where a feeding tube is involved. One of my nephews had one from about 3 months old until he was about 7 or so. I can't imagine my sister every asking Santa to feed the child.

It's just an odd choice. While I appreciate taking him to the front of the line, the mother ignored that kindness and the needs of the other families in line by extending the time the little boy spent with Santa. I don't always immediately think some of these social media things are attention seeking stuff. This one definitely falls into the attention seeking category. Guess she got the 15 minutes of fame she wanted.

I think the station must have run the story as a "feel good" holiday story. It's quite the opposite in many ways.

Old 12-13-2018, 09:43 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,336,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdarocks View Post
What did I just read??

If I understand correctly, he can eat orally now (so that's great!). If that's the case, why the formula being poured into the feeding tube? Was that the milk part of milk and cookies?
Sometimes even when children are able to consume food orally they remain on a feeding tube for awhile. They may not be able to get all of their nutritional needs met orally. Tubes often continue to be used as a supplementary (or even primary source) of nutrients until medical professionals are sure the child can eat enough to meet their needs.

Old 12-13-2018, 10:07 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,244,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VexedAndSolitary View Post
Happy to see the responders so far agree this was strange and inappropriate.

I feel this is one of those Mothers who uses her child's issues to get attention; the whole thing vibed so icky to me. Having raised a child with a chronic illness I logged many an hour in pedi medical facilities and the "type" of Mother who almost glories in the attention she gets for having an ill child is fairly commonly encountered; I class this woman with that group.

Wouldn't it have made more sense to normalize the experience for the wee lad (who looks darling by the way) and let him just sit on Santa's lap like the others? Why make a spectacle of his medical needs which were not apparent until she chose to do this.
Yep.

But....but if she normalized it no one would have cared on social media!

A normal mother would have fed child prior and just been done with it.

The world has gone mad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events