Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 01:40 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,389,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlmntc08 View Post
kid was targeted by white kids upset that she had a white friend drive her to school. bullied to suicide by them. sad.
It's not clear to me that it was white kids bullying her, at least not exclusively. One of the alleged insults was about her being friends with "that white boy."

Old 12-13-2018, 03:45 PM

7,982 posts, read 7,336,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j7r6s View Post
It's not clear to me that it was white kids bullying her, at least not exclusively. One of the alleged insults was about her being friends with "that white boy."

Yeah, that's the impression I got, too, from the article that I had originally read.

Of course, it doesn't matter who bullied a 9 year old child and why, if the 9 year old child ends up hanging herself.

Old 12-13-2018, 06:07 PM

45,084 posts, read 60,132,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
While that may have been true for your school and community, I know that many schools now have online bullying forms that you can use to report. Here may parents do use those.

At any rate, these kinds of complaints should be filed in writing if they are going beyond the teacher in the child's classroom.
The forms are new, and even with them, when it comes down to putting something down on paper, a lot of people hesitate and walk away.

Also, the idea that teachers should somehow "stop" it that's a pipe dream. Bullying doesn't so much happen in class but between classes, in the restroom, in gym (OK, that's a teacher thing), out of school in the neighborhood and online.

It's also the rare kid who will say something to a teacher about it.

The definition of bullying is so nebulous that literally anything can be considered it. Boy asks a girl out, girl says no and mentions the boy's weirdness? That's bullying.

A teacher tells a kid he needs to pay attention and there are kids who will claim they were bullied.

And yeah, I saw both of the above happen.

Old 12-13-2018, 06:22 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,180,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Not really. Probably at home.
Kids nowadays don't learn anything at home. They live in a secret society that their parents can't even imagine. What kids really learn is how to game the system. And that being useful, they may learn that by following their parents' example.

Old 12-13-2018, 06:26 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,321,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
The definition of bullying is so nebulous that literally anything can be considered it. Boy asks a girl out, girl says no and mentions the boy's weirdness? That's bullying.
A boy asks a girl out, she then laughs about it and tells all her friends how weird he is, actually is a form of bullying. Just because it's not physical abuse doesn't mean it's not bullying. This actually happened to a boy I knew in high school who was an immigrant kid, an outsider, and he liked a girl, she went around laughing about it and telling everyone he was a gross weirdo and other stuff. She was a total jerk about it. It was part of a pattern of bullying that he went through from not only her but other people.

Old 12-13-2018, 06:28 PM

45,084 posts, read 60,132,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
A boy asks a girl out, she then laughs about it and tells all her friends how weird he is, actually is a form of bullying. Just because it's not physical abuse doesn't mean it's not bullying. This actually happened to a boy I knew in high school who was an immigrant kid, an outsider, and he liked a girl, she went around laughing about it and telling everyone he was a gross weirdo and other stuff. She was a total jerk about it.
A jerk? Yes. A teenage girl? Again yes..

Like I said, so nebulous that anything is.

Old 12-13-2018, 06:42 PM

8,296 posts, read 2,921,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlmntc08 View Post
kid was targeted by white kids upset that she had a white friend drive her to school. bullied to suicide by them. sad.

Nowhere in the article did it say "kid was targeted by white kids". Where did you get that info?

Old 12-13-2018, 10:27 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,564,537 times
Default I'm not the only one

Quote:
Originally Posted by VexedAndSolitary View Post
Am I alone in thinking the girl may've been murdered by a family member who staged it as a suicide?

Suicides in children of that age are incredibly rare.
Glad to see that I'm not the only one. It crossed my mind briefly in the form of a question "what if an adult murdered the child and then created this suicide story?" But then I quickly dismissed it. I see that I'm not the only one who had this thought. In this day and age, I wouldn't put it pass anyone parent or otherwise, to murder a child, rape a child, rape & murder a child and then make up some story as a cover. Unfortunately, it's an occurrence that we hear in the news from time to time.

Old 12-14-2018, 07:58 AM

23,831 posts, read 33,360,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
A 9-year-old’s family says she committed suicide after racist bullying, including taunts of ‘kill yourself’
https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...=.7496ff0998c5

What is wrong with people!! Why would they pick on this beautiful little girl. I just don't get this, at all. Why did this happen. Why didn't somebody at school defend her.
Kids that age are cruel. I was bullied from kindergarten until 9th grade. It got really bad in middle school which I didn't understand because I started late due to a broken leg. The kids singled me out. It was horrible. I can't even imagine what she went thru with kids telling her to kill herself plus racial slurs.

From the article
Quote:
According to StopBullying.gov, a website managed by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, as many as 1 in 3 students say they have been bullied at school. Most of the abuse happens in middle school...

Meanwhile, only about 20 to 30 percent of bullied students tell an adult, according to HHS.

Harris told the Tuscaloosa News that her niece had been forced to transfer out of a previous school because of bullying, which prompted her mother and grandmother to complain to the Alabama State Board of Education.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
I hadn't thought about that, but it just sounds like more victim mentality to blame others for a lack of parenting. Did they start a Go Fund Me to collect from the community?
Yes, her aunt a TV host started one. $7,795 of $10,000 goal raised

Quote:
...9-year-old’s aunt, Eddwina Harris,...

Harris, a TV host in Atlanta, is promoting a GoFundMe page soliciting donations for “The McKenzie Foundation,” which “will serve as a source to stop” bullying, the page promises.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
I agree with the grandmother. Kids 9 years old saying such things makes you wonder where on earth they learned it.
Not really. Probably at home.
Doubt they learned it at home. They probably learned it at school and thru you tube videos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I will say what I have said before:

If you child is being bullied (of course, the definition of bullying has gotten awfully confusing nowadays), give the school one chance to solve the issue.

If the school doesn't promptly take care of it:
1. Put detailed complaints in writing directed to the principal of the school...and even better, send them through registered mail.
2. Forward copies of the complaints to the superintendent and the president of the board of education...even better, via registered mail.

Few school officials will ignore such hints that legal action could follow.

There is one caveat: You need to be sure that bullying actually took place, and every bit of unpleasantness is not bullying.
It sounds like her parents didn't put anything in writing. Poor kid was even bullied in kindergarten.

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
The forms are new, and even with them, when it comes down to putting something down on paper, a lot of people hesitate and walk away.

Also, the idea that teachers should somehow "stop" it that's a pipe dream. Bullying doesn't so much happen in class but between classes, in the restroom, in gym (OK, that's a teacher thing), out of school in the neighborhood and online.

It's also the rare kid who will say something to a teacher about it.

A teacher tells a kid he needs to pay attention and there are kids who will claim they were bullied.

And yeah, I saw both of the above happen.
The walk to school is when the girls used to bully me. Also the bathroom and switching classes. I was jumped after school by a group of 6 girls right on the high school property.

Old 12-14-2018, 08:15 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,883,047 times
I was bullied, too. See:

//www.city-data.com/forum/psych...s-results.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events