Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 05:01 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,952,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
I have never sent a text in my life, so I don't care. And I cant imagine I will ever need to.
Nearly every service provider I deal with from plumbers to electricians and landscapers to pool maintenance will only communicate via text.

That way they (and I) have a record of the communication.

You're a little bit in the Dark Ages, but if that works for you, great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2018, 05:10 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,206,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
Interesting. I probably haven't made a phone call in over 5 years. Everybody I deal with uses text including my elderly parents, businesses and even 911. I can't imagine why I would ever have to or want to talk on a phone ever again
I guess you and I will just have to communicate like this. Will your device still support voice, or have the current models discontinued that? Like freenets and DOS, which were not just un-taxed, but completely free.. With faster connection speed than I get now. In 2001, still using DOS and dial-up freenet, I could snipe bidders using Window on ebay.

Last edited by cebuan; 12-13-2018 at 05:26 PM..

Old 12-13-2018, 05:21 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,754,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
How will the CPUC enforce this in these cases::

1/ Someone buys an out of state phone with a non-California area code, and brings it in state?
2/ A California area code mobile phone gets taken out of state, is it still charged?
3/ A mobile user who doesn’t use text, are they still charged?
The question is, why would anyone bother trying to dodge a tax that will be smaller than the e911 fee?

Old 12-13-2018, 05:32 PM

17,340 posts, read 11,268,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
The question is, why would anyone bother trying to dodge a tax that will be smaller than the e911 fee?
Some if not many people text all day long, text after text after text. If you're changed per text it would add up quickly. I doubt people call 911 very often.

Old 12-13-2018, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Some if not many people text all day long, text after text after text. If you're changed per text it would add up quickly. I doubt people call 911 very often.
The idea that there will be a per-text charge is a remnant of the repeated panic-hoax of "a ten cent charge per email" that recurred endlessly from the '90s on. Phone users might have noticed that they are not charged or taxed "per call" by any such fee, nor is the e911 charge based on any calls to 911.

Utility taxes are a (tiny) percentage of the bill or an even tinier fixed amount. Even if this proposal is implemented, its impact will be... essentially invisible.

But by all means, go ahead, panic, riot in the streets, call California names, wave the yellow flag...

Old 12-13-2018, 05:45 PM

Quote:
The idea that there will be a per-text charge is a remnant of the repeated panic-hoax of "a ten cent charge per email" that recurred endlessly from the '90s on. Phone users might have noticed that they are not charged or taxed "per call" by any such fee, nor is the e911 charge based on any calls to 911.

Utility taxes are a (tiny) percentage of the bill or an even tinier fixed amount. Even if this proposal is implemented, its impact will be... essentially invisible.

But by all means, go ahead, panic, riot in the streets, call California names, wave the yellow flag...
I didn't panic. In fact, I don't give a damn. I just made a statement that if it's taxed per text it would add up quickly. Did I need permission to say that? Next time I'll check with you first.

Old 12-13-2018, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I didn't panic. In fact, I don't give a damn. I just made a statement that if it's taxed per text it would add up quickly. Did I need permission to say that? Next time I'll check with you first.
No, you have blanket permission to say any stupid, irrelevant things you like. Me, I wonder what will happen when any cop can pat you down for a phone and charge you $10 on the spot for having one. Wouldn't that be terrible?

Old 12-13-2018, 05:52 PM

Quote:
No, you have blanket permission to say any stupid, irrelevant things you like. Me, I wonder what will happen when any cop can pat you down for a phone and charge you $10 on the spot for having one. Wouldn't that be terrible?
You must be having a very bad day

Old 12-13-2018, 07:01 PM

9,885 posts, read 10,969,651 times
I don't care, because:
1. I don't live in California, nor do I know anybody who lives there now since my son moved out.
2. My dumb phone is not text enabled. I do not send texts messages. EVER!

As for "service providers" that will only answer to text messages, I do not know of any around here. If there are, they will never set foot in my house. I will never request their services.

Old 12-13-2018, 07:04 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,072,821 times
This is what happens in a state where everything has been regulated and there is nothing else left to tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events