Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2018, 05:14 PM

19,803 posts, read 9,353,220 times

Advertisements

I am so sorry for the people who are suffering from Lasik, but I have never even been tempted.

Yes, contacts and glasses can be expensive and something of an inconvenience, but I always figured that putting up with a little bit of inconvenience would be better than being blind.

I hope that these tragedies receive a LOT of publicity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2018, 05:20 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,472,094 times
There had to be other unresolved issues. The Lasiks may have put her over the edge.

I've always worn glasses. I don't want to be sticking pieces of glass or plastic into my eyes. I cringe at the thought of eye surgery. Never!

Old 12-14-2018, 06:38 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,213,138 times
Good grief. Whenever there is a story involving LASIK the curmudgeons come out in force to brag about how they only wear glasses or contacts. The complications rate for LASIK, when done by a quality surgeon, are extremely low. It's not as if glasses and contacts are any safer.

Researchers found injuries related to wearing eyeglasses sent an estimated 27,000 people to emergency rooms in the U.S. during a recent two-year period. More than 1,000 of those injured by their eyeglasses were admitted to the hospital for further treatment for their injuries.
https://www.webmd.com/eye-health/new...be-hazardous#1

In the study, CDC researchers analyzed nearly 1,100 cases of eye infections related to use of contact lens that were reported to the FDA between 2005 and 2015.
According to the researchers, nearly 1 in 5 patients had either a scarred cornea, required a corneal transplant or had other types of eye damage because of the infection.

More than 10 percent of the patients had to go to a hospital ER or urgent care clinic for immediate treatment.
https://www.webmd.com/eye-health/new...age-cdc-says#1

Old 12-14-2018, 06:52 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,208,266 times
Excuse me, it's "hanged herself"' Carry on.

Old 12-14-2018, 06:53 PM

2,264 posts, read 1,483,680 times
Quote:
A beloved Fox TV meteorologist and mother-of-two who killed herself on Wednesday is one of 11 people to have taken their own life after undergoing Lasik eye surgery.

Millions of Americans have had LASIK.

Tens of thousands of Americans commit suicide every year.

In other words, far more than 11 people have killed themselves after having LASIK because of a little something called ... math.

Old 12-14-2018, 07:00 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
How can you be so selfish by killing yourself when you have two young kids? For chrissakes live, if not for yourself, at least for your two kids. They are now devastated and will have no mother.
People who say stuff like this clearly don't understand mental illness... which she obviously had, since I doubt it was the surgery alone that led her to do this.

Old 12-14-2018, 07:15 PM

6,454 posts, read 3,974,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Why do we think, btw, that it was BECAUSE of the Lasik that she killed herself?

Seems a bit extreme.
I'm a bit skeptical as well, if they're blaming it solely on the fact that she mentioned it before she died. Especially since it seems to say that this mention was a month ago (November 14, if I'm reading the article correctly)? Sounds to me like grasping at straws-- understandable when you're having a hard time understanding why someone would commit suicide, but still not necessarily accurate. There are many reasons people kill themselves, and sometimes even those closest to them haven't an inkling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
People who say stuff like this clearly don't understand mental illness... which she obviously had, since I doubt it was the surgery alone that led her to do this.
People have, and have wanted to, kill themselves because of chronic pain and/or illnesses before. When it's bad enough, it can affect your life and even make you largely unable to do much... at which point, yes, some people don't see a point in going on.

Old 12-14-2018, 07:18 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Good grief. Whenever there is a story involving LASIK the curmudgeons come out in force to brag about how they only wear glasses or contacts. The complications rate for LASIK, when done by a quality surgeon, are extremely low. It's not as if glasses and contacts are any safer.

Researchers found injuries related to wearing eyeglasses sent an estimated 27,000 people to emergency rooms in the U.S. during a recent two-year period. More than 1,000 of those injured by their eyeglasses were admitted to the hospital for further treatment for their injuries.

In the study, CDC researchers analyzed nearly 1,100 cases of eye infections related to use of contact lens that were reported to the FDA between 2005 and 2015.
According to the researchers, nearly 1 in 5 patients had either a scarred cornea, required a corneal transplant or had other types of eye damage because of the infection.

More than 10 percent of the patients had to go to a hospital ER or urgent care clinic for immediate treatment.
Not bragging.
Just not a fan of elective surgery of any kind, let alone on your eyes. Plus I know too many people who wound up back in glasses anyway.
Something 16 years as a physician has taught me is that the odds don't apply to an N of 1.

I still think it's odd that they are trying to relate her LASIK with her suicide.

Old 12-14-2018, 07:29 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post

Who is bragging?

As for the above, there are plenty of idiots who do not use lenses properly. They were them all month instead of bi-weekly, they do not clean the case, sleep with them, change the solution each time, etc.

Someone who wears lenses properly have basically zero issues.

Old 12-14-2018, 07:45 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
People have, and have wanted to, kill themselves because of chronic pain and/or illnesses before. When it's bad enough, it can affect your life and even make you largely unable to do much... at which point, yes, some people don't see a point in going on.
True, but something like LASIK complications is much different from a lifelong chronic illness - or a terminal one like end-stage cancer, where you're just speeding up the inevitable.

One could also argue this is a form of mental illness, since the suffering affects your ability to reason like a healthier person. Point being, one is not generally thinking as clearly (e.g. considering how it will affect your loved ones) when they've reached this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events