Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2018, 12:57 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,510,660 times

Advertisements

A fellow leaves his wallet on a London bus.
It's found by a retired New York cop who managed to track down the owner and return it to him.
They get talking.
Turns out the cop has written rather a good book about his time in the NYPD.
The fellow decides to return a good favour.
And asks everyone to retweet it.
In this cynical world of ours it's nice to know honesty and decency still exist.

https://mobile.twitter.com/FraserSte...01083950043136
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2018, 02:41 AM

5,792 posts, read 5,106,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoe conkling View Post
a fellow leaves his wallet on a london bus.
It's found by a retired new york cop who managed to track down the owner and return it to him.
They get talking.
Turns out the cop has written rather a good book about his time in the nypd.
The fellow decides to return a good favour.
And asks everyone to retweet it.
In this cynical world of ours it's nice to know honesty and decency still exist.

https://mobile.twitter.com/fraserste...01083950043136
👍👍👍

Old 12-15-2018, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
👍👍👍

Old 12-15-2018, 04:15 PM

3,318 posts, read 2,338,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
It's all over the place, it's just that the media/social media focuses on the negative and you have to go out of your way to look for the good.

They don't report on the 1,000s of airplanes that take off and make it to their destination safely every day, they report on the one that doesn't.

Old 12-15-2018, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyfromnc View Post
It's all over the place, it's just that the media/social media focuses on the negative and you have to go out of your way to look for the good.

They don't report on the 1,000s of airplanes that take off and make it to their destination safely every day, they report on the one that doesn't.
It's like Christmas.
50 weeks of the year my wife is an absolute peach.A darling.Can't believe how lucky I am to be married to her.
But between now and early January she turns into a dragon.
Every bloody year.
She starts drinking at times of the day when for the rest of the year if I even suggested I was popping out for a beer at the same time she'd nuke me.
But because she thinks it's Christmas ( It's 9 days away for frikkin' Christ's sake ) all the usual rules have gone out of the window.
This is what gets me - she suddenly starts drinking Baileys.Some godawful Irish drink concocted by an advertising company that's meant to be a mix of fresh cream and Irish whiskey but is actually like I imagine Gollum's snot would taste like.
And I swear I heard the same Christmas song seven times on the radio this morning before I'd even ventured out of the font door.
I hate Christmas with a vengeance.
And tonight I moved into official Christmas Damage Limitation Mode.
It’s the official start of two weeks of hell when my nearest and dearest suddenly drink far more than they can cope with – because it’s Christmas.
And because I drink heavily all year but not enough to to make a tit of myself on a regular basis and now I’m urging restraint on these alcoholic amateurs they’re suddenly Ernest Hemingway admonishing Florence Nightingale.
I’m like the designated driver of getting ordinarily sober people who are hammered back home into their beds.
Everyone,including my nearest and dearest,suddenly start behaving like jackasses simply because it's Christmas and I hate it.
I’m heading into the holiday season equivalent of the Dark Side Of The Moon now and I’ll emerge,Syd Barrett-style,like a zombie on about January the 4th.
I hate bastard Christmas.
Really hate the bastard thing.

Old 12-15-2018, 05:42 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,616,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
It's like Christmas.
50 weeks of the year my wife is an absolute peach.A darling.Can't believe how lucky I am to be married to her.
But between now and early January she turns into a dragon.
Every bloody year.
She starts drinking at times of the day when for the rest of the year if I even suggested I was popping out for a beer at the same time she'd nuke me.
But because she thinks it's Christmas ( It's 9 days away for frikkin' Christ's sake ) all the usual rules have gone out of the window.
This is what gets me - she suddenly starts drinking Baileys.Some godawful Irish drink concocted by an advertising company that's meant to be a mix of fresh cream and Irish whiskey but is actually like I imagine Gollum's snot would taste like.
And I swear I heard the same Christmas song seven times on the radio this morning before I'd even ventured out of the font door.
I hate Christmas with a vengeance.
And tonight I moved into official Christmas Damage Limitation Mode.
It’s the official start of two weeks of hell when my nearest and dearest suddenly drink far more than they can cope with – because it’s Christmas.
And because I drink heavily all year but not enough to to make a tit of myself on a regular basis and now I’m urging restraint on these alcoholic amateurs they’re suddenly Ernest Hemingway admonishing Florence Nightingale.
I’m like the designated driver of getting ordinarily sober people who are hammered back home into their beds.
Everyone,including my nearest and dearest,suddenly start behaving like jackasses simply because it's Christmas and I hate it.
I’m heading into the holiday season equivalent of the Dark Side Of The Moon now and I’ll emerge,Syd Barrett-style,like a zombie on about January the 4th.
I hate bastard Christmas.
Really hate the bastard thing.
I quit drinking a while ago. After I quit I realized Christmas was the reason I drank in the first place. I agree with you about this time of year.

Old 12-15-2018, 08:27 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,473,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
I quit drinking a while ago. After I quit I realized Christmas was the reason I drank in the first place. I agree with you about this time of year.

I'm a Christian. I also hate this time of year. How sad is that?! It's got everything to do with people's bad behavior. Thanksgiving is only a prelude to the drunkenness that lasts until January.
Every year I dread it more.

Old 12-16-2018, 05:15 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,132,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
I agree too. Thinking of lost family, fighting with the ones you still have, crowds, the non stop assault of awful Xmas music (I worked in retail, withstood a Micheal Bolton Xmas marathon for a month) and having to spend all that cash on gifts would drive anyone to seek an escape. I always thought one should never be blamed for seeking comfort in things like booze and the like. We know it's not the best way, but it is natural and human to seek solace like this. Plus, it's dark and cold in lot of parts this year. Can be a real grind.

Old 12-17-2018, 09:16 AM

1,415 posts, read 1,188,373 times
I thought 'No good deed goes unpunished'.

Old 12-17-2018, 09:31 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,505,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyfromnc View Post

There is the assumption of normalcy. It's normal that planes land safely. The plane crashing is what makes it newsworthy.

There is no plot to only report negative stuff. A determination is made as to what is newsworthy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events