Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2018, 04:52 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,086,259 times

Advertisements

Yes funny video but it’s a shame that these punks just get off scotfree and then go burglarize someone else. There’s no consequences or punishment anymore. We don’t need hotels for jails and prisons and be charged millions. Anyway sick of this crap!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2018, 07:17 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
Brilliant!!

Old 12-21-2018, 07:23 PM

7,244 posts, read 7,066,230 times
The only way this could be better is if he had custom made glitter that was shaped in the word "thief". Imagine trying to get every glittery piece of it up and having to read it over and over.

Old 12-21-2018, 08:14 PM

1,516 posts, read 1,247,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
Casey's videos are monetized and some are sponsored by Samsung, Youtube, etc. Would all his videos since they are monetized (he makes money from them) require him to blur out the faces of random people in the background?

I can understand a news stories, a random person taking a video for his private collection, etc.
Doesn't matter if they are monetized or not. If you're out in public and someone is filming they don't have to get a release from you.

Old 12-21-2018, 08:17 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likealady View Post
It's a shame some of the thieves weren't true thieves but friends. Sounds like Rober wasn't told ahead of time that a friend of a friend had roped them into stealing the package though.
One of the "thieves" in the video was his neighbor. He knew when he made the video. It's highly unlikely that he didnt recognize his own neighbor, the outside of his neighbors house, and his own neighborhood on the gps tracker.

It was a cute concept, but kind of lame that he made up these scenarios to get more clicks.

Old 12-22-2018, 08:37 AM

2,089 posts, read 1,416,016 times
Someone should design and market a low cost fake package for people to leave on their porches. Would probably be a real money maker.

Old 12-22-2018, 03:16 PM

12,383 posts, read 8,136,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
The best thing I've read in response to these porch pirates, was using boxes disguised as packages to stuff all your unwanted garbage in them, so it's like a free giveaway of stuff you no longer want or use.
Won't work. In order to leave the evidence that the goods the police can see were not their's and in order to carry more saleable loot instead of bulky shipping boxes they open the box on site take or leave the contents and then move to the next house on their pirate route.

When the streets on my route are victimized I often come across many slit opened empty boxes and figure they have already been hit as I leave packages

Last edited by Taiko; 12-22-2018 at 03:44 PM..

Old 12-22-2018, 05:30 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,323,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Thanks. So some of the thefts were real and others were (unbeknownst to the inventor Mark Rober) staged. That's too bad. It does, as Rober says, kill his credibility.
True, but with 46 million views so far (and climbing), depending on is YouTube "rate", he's already made a minimum of $46,000 off the video, but probably more like $92,000 or more from AdSense alone! Heck of a lot more than what most people make in an entire year.

He's already said, even though this video went viral, he hopes people (new to him) will watch his other videos that mainly deal with science, since he's a former NASA engineer. Mark is a great promoter of science and science being cool.

Old 12-24-2018, 10:57 AM

50,721 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
One of the "thieves" in the video was his neighbor. He knew when he made the video. It's highly unlikely that he didnt recognize his own neighbor, the outside of his neighbors house, and his own neighborhood on the gps tracker.

It was a cute concept, but kind of lame that he made up these scenarios to get more clicks.
Yes, I read an article this morning that several of the videos were the guy's friends who knew about it. He didn't plan on people he knew grabbing the boxes to be part of the tape, and in fact per the article was PO'd about it because it marred the whole thing.

Old 12-26-2018, 08:17 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,520,307 times
I wish I could take back my view after finding out most, if not all, of the were fake (by people he knew).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events