Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2018, 04:41 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
That was the problem with having the YouTube video without additional information. One of the comments stated that it was the Haverhill accident; which I posted. Of course that link for the Haverhill accident did not give any specifics other than a man was killed.

The accident was a terrible accident and the driver was very lucky to survive. It is interesting that Great Britain could possibly have two similar accidents at about the same time. Of course we still need more information; but it is something that would lead to an extensive investigation (if that is the case).

Thank your!
I think Haverhill is right because I have a story for the accident 11/21/18 that has the same video. The Haverhill story is dated 11/23/18

Amaz-in! Forklift driver causes an entire warehouse to fall like dominoes when he nudges a shelving unit 21 November 2018

Quote:
It is unknown whether the forklift driver was injured or managed to keep his job after the catastrophe.

Do you know where this footage was filmed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2018, 06:33 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I think Haverhill is right because I have a story for the accident 11/21/18 that has the same video. The Haverhill story is dated 11/23/18

Amaz-in! Forklift driver causes an entire warehouse to fall like dominoes when he nudges a shelving unit 21 November 2018
This is very confusing? If you look at the link that was posted in post #18 (https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...hropshire.html) and you look at your link; the metal shelving is a different color. One is grey or silver and the other one is blue. This suggest that there were at least two similar accidents in Great Britain. If that is the case; there could be other warehouses that are simply waiting for just the wrong nudge.

I hope that some news station sorts all of this out and gives us the facts.

Old 12-23-2018, 07:19 AM

Quote:
This is very confusing? If you look at the link that was posted in post #18 (https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...hropshire.html) and you look at your link; the metal shelving is a different color. One is grey or silver and the other one is blue. This suggest that there were at least two similar accidents in Great Britain. If that is the case; there could be other warehouses that are simply waiting for just the wrong nudge.

I hope that some news station sorts all of this out and gives us the facts.
Apparently there are 2 accidents. The link I posted has the same video as posted in the 1st post.

Old 12-23-2018, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Apparently there are 2 accidents. The link I posted has the same video as posted in the 1st post.
One might think long and hard before they apply for an opening driving forklift in GB! I hope that somebody can tell us all the facts.

Old 12-23-2018, 08:10 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

35,605 posts, read 17,927,273 times
I don't know why anyone thinks the driver is not at fault.

For some reason, rather than getting the other employee to move the vehicle parked in center of the aisle, the driver incorrectly believes he can fit that forklift between the other vehicle and the storage wall.

What did he think would happen if he was wrong? I didn't expect the entire right hand side of the warehouse to fall, but I certainly expected that grouping of shelves to fall, and fall on the forklift.

Reminds me of an episode of The Office where Michael decides to work in the warehouse to show he's in tune with the "little guy". Similar result.

Last edited by ClaraC; 12-23-2018 at 08:26 AM..

Old 12-23-2018, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I don't know why anyone thinks the driver is not at fault.

For some reason, rather than getting the other employee to move the vehicle parked in center of the aisle, the driver incorrectly believes he can fit that forklift between the other vehicle and the storage wall.

What did he think would happen if he was wrong? I didn't expect the entire right hand side of the right hand side of the warehouse to fall, but I certainly expected that grouping of shelves to fall, and fall on the forklift.

Reminds me of an episode of The Office where Michael decides to work in the warehouse to show he's in tune with the "little guy". Similar result.
Have you ever worked in a warehouse or driven a forklift? I have driven a forklift for maybe a total of about 26 years. I was a good driver and got my job done quickly and efficiently. But there are almost no structures that have not been bumped by a lift; drivers will eventually make mistakes. How many times have you personally bumped into something while just moving your body around the house? You're concentrating on what's behind you or in front of you and you make a mistake. This 'accident' was inevitable and predictable. You cannot store that much weight, that high, without creating the possibility of a catastrophic failure - which is what happened in this case.

This will start an investigation and I am sure the company will share plenty of fault for this particular catastrophe. It never should have happened.

Old 12-23-2018, 08:39 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,694,459 times
Wow. Something wasn't built or secured properly. No way that shoulda happened the way it did.

Old 12-23-2018, 08:41 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

35,605 posts, read 17,927,273 times
Quote:
Have you ever worked in a warehouse or driven a forklift? I have driven a forklift for maybe a total of about 26 years. I was a good driver and got my job done quickly and efficiently. But there are almost no structures that have not been bumped by a lift; drivers will eventually make mistakes. How many times have you personally bumped into something while just moving your body around the house? You're concentrating on what's behind you or in front of you and you make a mistake. This 'accident' was inevitable and predictable. You cannot store that much weight, that high, without creating the possibility of a catastrophic failure - which is what happened in this case.

This will start an investigation and I am sure the company will share plenty of fault for this particular catastrophe. It never should have happened.
I agree it's likely the shelves were over loaded and not sturdy.

But he stopped, assessed the situation, and decided that forklift could fit through that tiny space and he was wrong. I may say, very wrong. I wonder how much experience he had where he didn't know the dimensions of the forklift he was driving.

Old 12-23-2018, 08:43 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,323,454 times
If you look at the date/time stamp of the lower left corner, it looks like it reads, 04 07 2017 Tues.

If you look up July 4th, 2017, it was indeed on a Tuesday, so you need to find a warehouse accident that occurred on that date, unless of course the date/time stamp is wrong.

It seems the two warehouse accidents referenced above from Great Britain didn't occur during that time?

Reddit has a whole thread on the video and nobody is in agreement where it occurred either, some think it says 2012 on the date/time stamp, but 7/4 and 4/7 were not on Tuesdays that year.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Catastrophi...ks_and_causes/

Last edited by cjseliga; 12-23-2018 at 08:54 AM..

Old 12-23-2018, 08:43 AM

Quote:

I agree. The shelves weren't secured properly and the weight of the boxes added to it. I have to wonder how they never had it happen before.

I've driven a fork lift. I can't imagine how they even loaded those shelves without it coming down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events