Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2018, 08:51 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I agree it's likely the shelves were over loaded and not sturdy.

But he stopped, assessed the situation, and decided that forklift could fit through that tiny space and he was wrong. I may say, very wrong. I wonder how much experience he had where he didn't know the dimensions of the forklift he was driving.
The driver had all his concentration on the skid in the middle and not the shelving. That was a mistake on his part. Play the security tape one second at a time during that crucial hit. It did not look like he was going fast; it was simply a bump. To bring down the warehouse like this from just a bump is not the forklift driver's fault.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2018, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
If you look at the date/time stamp of the lower left corner, it looks like it reads, 04 07 2017 Tues.

If you look up July 4th, 2017, it was indeed on a Tuesday, so you need to find a warehouse accident that occurred on that date, unless of course the date/time stamp is wrong.

It seems the two warehouse accidents referenced above from Great Britain didn't occur during that time?
Thank you but the original post did not show the date and time. Apparently we are dealing with two accidents and one was recent and the other took place last year! I would think that it is a great time for Great Britain's equivalent of OSHA to step in and look at warehouse safety!

Old 12-23-2018, 08:57 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 1 day ago)

35,580 posts, read 17,923,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
The driver had all his concentration on the skid in the middle and not the shelving. That was a mistake on his part. Play the security tape one second at a time during that crucial hit. It did not look like he was going fast; it was simply a bump. To bring down the warehouse like this from just a bump is not the forklift driver's fault.
I completely agree he wasn't going fast.

He came to a complete stop, decided that forklift could fit in that narrow space, and advanced forward.

He wasn't even CLOSE to being able to fit.

Indicating, to me, the likelihood that he had little experience driving that thing. Like someone who rents a large van and doesn't know the dimensions of the van and hits something.

Old 12-23-2018, 09:05 AM

Quote:
I completely agree he wasn't going fast.

He came to a complete stop, decided that forklift could fit in that narrow space, and advanced forward.

He wasn't even CLOSE to being able to fit.

Indicating, to me, the likelihood that he had little experience driving that thing. Like someone who rents a large van and doesn't know the dimensions of the van and hits something.
Have you ever bumped your shin or funny bone? Think of a forklift as simply a larger you that you have to be aware of at all times. I also drove doubles and straight 53' foot trailers on our roads without an accident. But I am aware that others make mistakes. Just look at the broken concrete curbs in any Walmart parking lot from the big trucks that have made small miscalculations. Humans are human and all of us can and do bump into things from time to time.

Whatever safety agency they have on the other side of the Atlantic I am sure that it will be rethinking what is permissible and what is not. They were catastrophic failures that never should have happened.

Old 12-23-2018, 09:46 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 1 day ago)

Quote:
Have you ever bumped your shin or funny bone? Think of a forklift as simply a larger you that you have to be aware of at all times. I also drove doubles and straight 53' foot trailers on our roads without an accident. But I am aware that others make mistakes. Just look at the broken concrete curbs in any Walmart parking lot from the big trucks that have made small miscalculations. Humans are human and all of us can and do bump into things from time to time.

Whatever safety agency they have on the other side of the Atlantic I am sure that it will be rethinking what is permissible and what is not. They were catastrophic failures that never should have happened.
Well, I've never bumped my shin on a coffee table after stopping in front of the coffee table, assessing it, and moving forward anyway!

He hit that wall, after assessing the space he had available, and grossly miscalculating it.

Old 12-23-2018, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Well, I've never bumped my shin on a coffee table after stopping in front of the coffee table, assessing it, and moving forward anyway!

He hit that wall, after assessing the space he had available, and grossly miscalculating it.
And for one miscalculation you think that it is fine to have shelving units that come down destroying the warehouse? This was one weak point and regardless of the driver's miscalculation; it should never have happened. If we cannot build sturdier shelving units that this one; then we should have no shelves.

I am glad that you plan your every move and never make a mistake; perhaps you should see if there are any openings for the position of god?

Old 12-23-2018, 11:17 AM

Quote:
And for one miscalculation you think that it is fine to have shelving units that come down destroying the warehouse? This was one weak point and regardless of the driver's miscalculation; it should never have happened. If we cannot build sturdier shelving units that this one; then we should have no shelves.

I am glad that you plan your every move and never make a mistake; perhaps you should see if there are any openings for the position of god?
I'm not saying I never make a mistake, or that these shelving units weren't a hazard waiting to happen and probably wouldn't meet code (if there is a safety code for warehouses there), I'm saying those in this thread who say it wasn't the driver's fault for bumping into the shelves is wrong, IMHO.

If the forklift operator had placed a pallet on top of the unit, where it was supposed to go, and the unit came crashing down I'd say that wasn't the fault of the forklift driver. He was carefully doing what he was hired to do, and doing it well.

But he drove into the shelf, because he miscalculated the size of the forklift. That's his fault.

The incredible amount of damage that he caused couldn't have been predicted, and shouldn't have happened, IMHO, but it's his fault that he hit the wall.

I am always a consumer advocate, and think that people's mistakes and errors shouldn't cause terrible damage if it can be prevented, because people make mistakes.

But this guy, made a mistake. And the fall out of his mistake was a LOT of damage that probably should have been engineered against.

Old 12-23-2018, 11:38 AM

21,097 posts, read 19,694,480 times
Whenever you’re having a bad day, think of this.

Old 12-23-2018, 11:52 AM

Quote:
I'm not saying I never make a mistake, or that these shelving units weren't a hazard waiting to happen and probably wouldn't meet code (if there is a safety code for warehouses there), I'm saying those in this thread who say it wasn't the driver's fault for bumping into the shelves is wrong, IMHO.

If the forklift operator had placed a pallet on top of the unit, where it was supposed to go, and the unit came crashing down I'd say that wasn't the fault of the forklift driver. He was carefully doing what he was hired to do, and doing it well.

But he drove into the shelf, because he miscalculated the size of the forklift. That's his fault.

The incredible amount of damage that he caused couldn't have been predicted, and shouldn't have happened, IMHO, but it's his fault that he hit the wall.

I am always a consumer advocate, and think that people's mistakes and errors shouldn't cause terrible damage if it can be prevented, because people make mistakes.

But this guy, made a mistake. And the fall out of his mistake was a LOT of damage that probably should have been engineered against.
Of course it could have been predicted! Because of the confusion I cannot say with certainty that the pallets contained cheese; which is very heavy. But there was definitely too much weight for the shelving units. Like I tried to explain before; there are many ways a driver could damage one of the slots in the shelving units - like if a skid gets cocked and not straight.

There are some old target rifles that had two triggers: You pulled one trigger and it set the other trigger as a 'hair' trigger. The slightest pull on the second trigger would fire the weapon. These shelving units, when loaded with a lot of weight, are like those old target rifles with one trigger pulled. They are just waiting for the slightest nudge.

We will probably never see the report from the investigation. Hopefully it will take in a full account of the safe supporting weight for all these units, the weight that was loaded on all units, as well as the bump from the forklift. My feeling and it is only my feeling it that the weight limit was not taken into consideration when the owners decided to load these units all the way to the top rack.

Old 12-23-2018, 07:22 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,580,581 times
Quote:
I was wrong (I think - I had guessed China) that was the accident at Haverhill in the UK: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-suffolk-46317195. The forklift driver was killed. I am surprised that more were not killed! They were very lucky.

The UK accident you're referring to occurred in a chilled food warehouse. The video up above did not happen in a chilled food warehouse. You can see the door in the background is wide open and the workers in the front are wearing short sleeves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events