Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2018, 10:40 AM

8,411 posts, read 7,420,628 times

Advertisements

I say whatever works for you. We do both. We open half on Christmas Eve and the others Christmas morning if we aren't busy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2018, 11:16 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,080,364 times
my mother made sure we never enjoyed Christmas that is for sure . we each had three presents to open . We never had a tree she said because her family never had a tree .and my dad was okay with that which was I suspect was a money saver . we opened all three on Christmas eve because my mother wanted to sleep in and so did my dad . We always had to say thank you to them even if it was just underwear and socks which It usually was . My mother was raised during the depression and she believed that American children were too spoiled on Christmas . Our two sister friends came over and wanted to see what we got for Christmas and they had new coats on and were riding new bikes and my mother told us they were spoiled brats and their mothers boyfriend probably bought those gifts trying to cozy up with the bar fly (mother called her that cause she was divorced and had a lot of bfs ) . I talked to one of the sisters later that week and she told me that she was sorry that we got hardly nothing on Christmas . Yep underwear , socks and a bottle of nail polish for the girls in the family and the boys got underwear , socks and cheap cologne .

Old 12-24-2018, 01:31 PM

10,890 posts, read 7,382,548 times
We opened presents yesterday, with the family we won't see on Christmas or Christmas eve. We'll open more on Christmas morning, with other family.

As kids, we were allowed to open one gift on Christmas eve, the rest on Christmas day. Santa didn't wrap presents at our house, just left them in a heap.

Old 12-24-2018, 04:24 PM

11,119 posts, read 5,587,588 times
Here's another tradition that I wonder if any other families observed------each child would have a couple of minor presents held out at Christmas and these would be opened on New Year's Day.

Old 12-24-2018, 04:28 PM

11,119 posts, read 5,587,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
It was actually Boxing Day, the 26th December day when Christmas Boxes were once exchanged in the UK.

A 'Christmas Box' in Britain is a name for a Christmas present. Boxing Day was traditionally a day off for servants and the day when they received a 'Christmas Box' from the master. The servants would also go home on Boxing Day to give 'Christmas Boxes' to their families.

Boxing day is a public holiday in the UK, however most people now open christmas presents on Christmas Morning.

Boxing Day - Wikipedia

So that's what Boxing Day is all about! All these years, I was thinking that the English spent the day having fist fights. It seemed only logical, as they're all soccer fans.

Old 12-24-2018, 04:38 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,185,807 times
We open everything on Christmas Eve and Santa leaves the presents unwrapped on Christmas day. I like breaking things up so there's something to look forward to each day.

Old 12-24-2018, 05:14 PM

314 posts, read 237,212 times
We have always opened. Presents on Christmas Eve. We did the huge dinner ( Wigilia) then everyone opened presents, cake coffee and just ate. Afterwards everyone would get ready and go to midnight mass, which usually was around 2 hours. Christmas Day was always for lounging around and cleaning up putting things away from the day before and eating all the food. As far as presents from Santa we would get 1 big gift and that was left in the room by the pillow ( when I was a kid)

Old 12-24-2018, 05:36 PM

15,419 posts, read 9,069,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
When I was a kid, we used to open presents really early on Christmas morning, probably between 5am-7am. Hopefully I didn’t wake up my poor parents any earlier than that! lol
When I was really young, my parents would make me wait until my grandmother and other relatives arrived about 10 or 11AM to open my presents. Nothing I could say would convince them to let me open them earlier. But when I got into my teens, my parents would wake me up at about 6AM and tell me to get up because my younger brothers wanted to open their presents. LOL. It seemed so weird for me to be opening presents that early.

Looking back on it, I kind of liked waiting until late morning. There was a sense of anticipation seeing that big stack of presents under the tree.

Old 12-24-2018, 05:42 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,145,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Yep underwear , socks and a bottle of nail polish for the girls in the family and the boys got underwear , socks and cheap cologne .
Times change: I'd be thrilled to receive underwear, socks, and (good) cologne. As long as the socks were Merino Wool, underwear LDComfort Motorcycle Baselayer, and cologne Creed Green Irish Tweed. But hey, that's me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events