Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2018, 09:47 AM

190 posts, read 128,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Its kind of funny, they made sure to crack down on the pharma companies and people getting pain pills from doctors, but now all those people hand their cash over t0 the heroin dealers and all that money goes back to the cartel...very suspicious imo.

If I owned a pharma company, I would be PISSED, govt made my drugs harder to get and helped increase cartel profits...isnt that a form of treason when a govt agency uses US laws as a means to help a criminal organization profit or benefit?
70,000+ fatal overdoses a year. Its a eugenics program. To get rid of "undesirables."

Don't even think for a minute these people made mistakes and every single thing they have done so far "inadvertently" made the problem worse. They solved their PR problem too. Support for the drug war and mass incarceration was at an all time low and this opiate thing gave it a major boost.

Why would the cartels allow or bring in fentanyl to kill their own customers and have the public support funding for police action against them ? You don't make billions selling drugs by being stupid.

The pharma companies love it too. All the expensive alternatives to opiates they get to sell now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2018, 10:37 AM

11,981 posts, read 8,317,221 times
A story: A man I know had eight DWIs. He complained to me that it was the Law Enforcement's fault. Why? Because they knew which bar he drank at and hid laying in wait for him to leave. No fair!

This is the way an addict thinks. His drug/alcohol use is never the problem. The problem is society, the law, his family, the church, his doctor and on and on.

Active addiction guarantees life problems which are avoidable when you are sober.

Tired of finding yourself in jail? Try abstinence. This will work for the larger percentage of addicts who aren't mentally ill or sociopaths.

Old 12-30-2018, 10:46 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,444,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtBikeRider View Post
That's interesting, I could do a long post explaining how no one asks for drug or alcoholism but the pity thing kind of works both ways.

When I see on the news that a cop got shot at a traffic stop I don't pity them. Those bad habits of being revenue generators for the state, behaving so badly there are 100,000 videos on YouTube of the most horrific behavior imaginable, these behavoirs are known to be dangerous from the start, yet people chose to engage anyway.

Society lets them get away with this. Skokie woman's face shattered after being launched into concrete jail cell bench

Skokie woman's face shattered after being launched into concrete jail cell bench.

State run playgrounds for sadists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMWDxwL1Zog

They know every one in a wile someone says no way I am not getting kidnapped and extorted tonight and takes action. And I see on the news a dead cop. I don't pity them.
Ya know what else doesn't work for me?

Deflection.

Nice try though.

Old 12-30-2018, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
A story: A man I know had eight DWIs. He complained to me that it was the Law Enforcement's fault. Why? Because they knew which bar he drank at and hid laying in wait for him to leave. No fair!

This is the way an addict thinks. His drug/alcohol use is never the problem. The problem is society, the law, his family, the church, his doctor and on and on.

Active addiction guarantees life problems which are avoidable when you are sober.

Tired of finding yourself in jail? Try abstinence. This will work for the larger percentage of addicts who aren't mentally ill or sociopaths.

8 DUIs. Ya that dude is a retard. His thinking is not the norm.

There is no one size fits all. But it is mental illness. Many people get addicted to alcohol over so called social anxiety disorder. Have a few drinks and its gone, why should all the natural extroverts get all the ladies and popularity ? It almost always starts with self medication.

This will work for the larger percentage of addicts who aren't mentally ill... I don't think there is any such thing as an addict who is not mentally ill.

Got the holiday tomorrow I got to prep. Write more on this later.

Old 12-30-2018, 11:54 AM

50,442 posts, read 36,110,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post

This didn’t work for me with cigarettes. I still struggle with this, having fallen off the wagon during the holidays after 5 months without smoking. That was the longest I’ve ever been able to get, with multiple methods tried through the years. I was dismayed to find that even after that amount of time, I was still craving cigarettes. Not just once in a while. Every time I smelled smoke or saw people smoking, I wanted one desperately. The actual physical cravings, not just the psychological ones. I can’t tell you how dissapointed I was by this, and I was jealous of people who quit and hated the smell of smoke, because my brain’s pleasure centers lit up from it, even after 5 months.

My point is only, addiction is complicated both physically and psychologically, and not everyone has the same experiences that there can be any one blanket solution. If “just try abstinence” were effective for the majority of the population, there would be no need for AA, Weight Watchers, Gamblers Anonymous, and nicotine patches.

Old 12-30-2018, 11:58 AM

Quote:

There is no one size fits all. But it is mental illness. Many people get addicted to alcohol over so called social anxiety disorder. Have a few drinks and its gone, why should all the natural extroverts get all the ladies and popularity ? It almost always starts with self medication.

This will work for the larger percentage of addicts who aren't mentally ill... I don't think there is any such thing as an addict who is not mentally ill.

It begins as psychological, but becomes a physical addiction quickly. In long term alcoholics the physical addiction becomes a physical dependence, thus the DT’s when they stop. Heavy long term Alcoholics can actually die from alcohol withdrawal, they have to be constantly medically monitored for the first few days.

Old 12-30-2018, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It begins as psychological, but becomes a physical addiction quickly. In long term alcoholics the physical addiction becomes a physical dependence, thus the DT’s when they stop. Heavy long term Alcoholics can actually die from alcohol withdrawal, they have to be constantly medically monitored for the first few days.

Alcoholics have it made though. Their drug is legal. The same scenario plays out with the people who get caught up in opiates but even if you have a prescription do something for example like innocently take your days pills with you in an unmarked container and get caught say hello to state sanctioned kidnapping (arrest) the PTSD from that experience, endless lawyer bills and your life turned upside down before getting coerced into a plea bargain.

A favorite of the state is get a drug charge even if you weren't anyplace near a car they take your driver license so you can't get to work. I think its 2 years. Then of course probation and reporting to programs but in a few weeks everyone gets tired of giving you a ride and you don't have much money cause you can't get to work.

Its designed that way. The system wants you depressed and in despair so you say "f-it" and do what always makes those feeling go away, drinking or drugs. Get caught again they pile on more and get more money.

Here is a real suicide note from a woman caught drinking on probation

She kissed her aunt on the cheek and told her, “I don’t think I’m going home with you. They are going to put me away.” Twenty minutes later — before any decision was made — Silvestri collapsed in the bathroom of Lowell District Court. As paramedics performed CPR, Silvestri was transported to a hospital, where she died. “She was under a lot of pressure, and she couldn’t handle the pressure,” Hickey told The Sun. Drug Court on trial in Lowell, as lawyer says it contributed to Tewksbury woman's death - Lowell Sun Online-

Its like they want you dead.

Old 12-30-2018, 01:33 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,820,464 times
Quote:

One comment - why do you divert the topic so often? You change from prison reform, to police abuse, to drug addiction. Do you have some attention span issues? My suggestion: Keep to one issue, create a new thread for another issue.

Now in regards to drug abuse. Can you tell us your history so this confusing thread has some context? You have some issues going in several directions. It seems perhaps you were in jail and are a drug addict. Now the thing is, many addicts end up in jail not because of drug addiction, not because of possession, but because the broke the law to feed there drug addiction. If it's just for possession, I can sympathize. If it's because you broke the law, particularly if you hurt someone, I have little sympathy. Now, drug addiction, or alcohol abuse, cannot be a free pass to break the law - driving DUI for instance. Breaking the law is not a social anxiety issue, it's because one is a criminal.

Current medical opinion is that drug addiction is a disease. But it occurs AFTER one becomes an addict: your brain is chemically altered so that you need the drug in spite of the harm it does to you. I understand that. However, that first decision to take drugs and to continuously misuse them to the point that you became an addict is all on you. You can blame society, but millions grow up deprived or in bad households and do not become addicts. Now, if one becomes an addict, one must seek treatment. No that treatment does not include a pity party and drugs provided to you at the taxpayers expense so the you can continue to be an addict. The point is this: you can continue to blame society, police, your jail sentence, etc for your drug addiction OR you can get help and improve your life. There are many treatment programs out there. There are local, state, and federal programs, free programs available. If you have insurance, they provide coverage for programs. Prison has treatment programs (and I am sorry, there treatment program does not include letting you bring in drugs to continue your addiction).

No, these programs are not Portugal or Spain where all drugs are decriminalized. You mentioned that at the beginning. Portugal seems to be a success, but even that county is cutting back on services to it's addicts because it's unsustainable. Spain still has problems, serious problems. Nevertheless what works n one country may not work in another, particularly the US with it's pharmaceutical opiates like Fentanyl widespread (and let's see what happens when that hits Europe).

You mentioned it as some sort of Eugenics program. That's just crazy. The origination of the increase in pharmaceutical opiates in North American is complex and a discussion topic of it's own (generally you can blame the medical industry for over-reliance on chemicals for pain relief) , but don't use some crazy conspiracy theory.

But again - the bottom line here - as much as we can diagnose your drug addiction as a deseise, the responsibility for getting help for your addiction is your alone. We won't support your addiction, we will however help you treat it. We give you the tools (treatment centers) - next step is yours.

Old 12-30-2018, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Alcoholics have it made though. Their drug is legal. The same scenario plays out with the people who get caught up in opiates but even if you have a prescription do something for example like innocently take your days pills with you in an unmarked container and get caught say hello to state sanctioned kidnapping (arrest) the PTSD from that experience, endless lawyer bills and your life turned upside down before getting coerced into a plea bargain.

A favorite of the state is get a drug charge even if you weren't anyplace near a car they take your driver license so you can't get to work. I think its 2 years. Then of course probation and reporting to programs but in a few weeks everyone gets tired of giving you a ride and you don't have much money cause you can't get to work.

Its designed that way. The system wants you depressed and in despair so you say "f-it" and do what always makes those feeling go away, drinking or drugs. Get caught again they pile on more and get more money.

Here is a real suicide note from a woman caught drinking on probation

She kissed her aunt on the cheek and told her, “I don’t think I’m going home with you. They are going to put me away.” Twenty minutes later — before any decision was made — Silvestri collapsed in the bathroom of Lowell District Court. As paramedics performed CPR, Silvestri was transported to a hospital, where she died. “She was under a lot of pressure, and she couldn’t handle the pressure,” Hickey told The Sun. Drug Court on trial in Lowell, as lawyer says it contributed to Tewksbury woman's death - Lowell Sun Online-

Its like they want you dead.
I agree with you. I get a newsletter from an organization called the Law Enforcement Action Partnership (formerly LEAP, Law Enforcement Against Prohibition) that is a PAC made up of former law enforcement professionals (many cops who are veterans of the drug war), prosecutors and judges who firmly believe the War on Drugs should be ended. They believe drug use and drug addiction should be the domain of health care, not the justice system. Here are their core beliefs: https://lawenforcementactionpartners...s/drug-policy/

The Law Enforcement Action Partnership believes that adult drug abuse is a public health problem and not a law enforcement matter.

The Law Enforcement Action Partnership does not promote the use of drugs and is deeply concerned about the extent of drug abuse and drug-related violence worldwide. However, both drug abuse and violence flourish under drug prohibition, just as they did during alcohol prohibition.

The Law Enforcement Action Partnership recognizes that drugs can be dangerous and addictive. Reasonable regulation should protect public health and include age restrictions on drug sales and use.

The Law Enforcement Action Partnership recognizes that currently illicit drugs pose different risks, requiring different models of regulation. We believe that U.S. states and other nations must be given the regulatory latitude to try new models that balance personal freedom and responsibility with the public health risks of death, disease, and addiction.

The Law Enforcement Action Partnership recognizes that it will take time to strike a proper balance, blending private, public, and medical models to best control and regulate currently illicit drugs. Our speakers advocate for a range of strategies in line with their own diverse experiences and political philosophies.

The Law Enforcement Action Partnership believes that government has a public health obligation to ascertain and clearly communicate to the public the risks associated with the use of each currently illicit drug.

The Law Enforcement Action Partnership argues that as the government ends prohibition, it should release drug offenders, expunge their records, and restore their civil rights. However, we believe that people using alcohol or other drugs must be held accountable for the harms caused to others while under the influence.

The Law Enforcement Action Partnership believes that individuals suffering from drug addiction who seek help should receive support, including drug treatment. We argue that the cost of expanding such services could be financed with a fraction of the criminal justice savings from ending drug prohibition.

Old 12-30-2018, 03:40 PM

11,981 posts, read 8,317,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
This didn’t work for me with cigarettes. I still struggle with this, having fallen off the wagon during the holidays after 5 months without smoking. That was the longest I’ve ever been able to get, with multiple methods tried through the years. I was dismayed to find that even after that amount of time, I was still craving cigarettes. Not just once in a while. Every time I smelled smoke or saw people smoking, I wanted one desperately. The actual physical cravings, not just the psychological ones. I can’t tell you how dissapointed I was by this, and I was jealous of people who quit and hated the smell of smoke, because my brain’s pleasure centers lit up from it, even after 5 months.

My point is only, addiction is complicated both physically and psychologically, and not everyone has the same experiences that there can be any one blanket solution. If “just try abstinence” were effective for the majority of the population, there would be no need for AA, Weight Watchers, Gamblers Anonymous, and nicotine patches.
Okay. I'm talking alcohol. Recovery long term is a complicated process but to begin with it's as simple as not drinking. Saying "no" is the start. Adding whatever else a person needs to keep saying "no" is the rest.

There are many paths a person can take to achieving abstinence. Some people can simply set down the bottle. But, as mentioned, alcoholism and drug addiction also has a psychological aspect to it which is in play even before physical addiction. So if "just say no" isn't working then I suggest an addict seek out a program to address thinking like an addict.

So right, seeking out a support group is a good idea. And not picking up that cigarette. The pain felt watching someone smoke is nothing compared to the pain of lung cancer. There's a thought. A group can teach you new ways to think about your habit and tricks of the abstinence trade.

And as far as mental illness goes I don't think any good psychiatrist should even diagnose until a patient has at least six month sober. Some people's crazy gets a lot better after they aren't drinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events