Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2018, 02:04 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,138,602 times

Advertisements

I wish there was a law about doctors and surgeons needing to be in network for every insurance the actual hospital takes.

There are many stories about people going to the hospital and needing emergency surgery. Intake assures the family the hospital is in their insurance network. But later on the patient receives a giant bill from a surgeon (who happened to be on call) who was not in network for that insurance. Some patients are out $30k+ for their bills. Then there's the ongoing investigation of similar happenings at small "emergency rooms" where someone goes in for a broken arm and ends up with a 5 figure bill from a doctor not in network.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2018, 03:12 PM

23,709 posts, read 30,647,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradomom22 View Post
I wish there was a law about doctors and surgeons needing to be in network for every insurance the actual hospital takes.

There are many stories about people going to the hospital and needing emergency surgery. Intake assures the family the hospital is in their insurance network. But later on the patient receives a giant bill from a surgeon (who happened to be on call) who was not in network for that insurance. Some patients are out $30k+ for their bills. Then there's the ongoing investigation of similar happenings at small "emergency rooms" where someone goes in for a broken arm and ends up with a 5 figure bill from a doctor not in network.
Depending on the Insurance Company one uses, one pays an additional fee to the Insurance Company that covers Out of Network situations. Anthem does, don't know about others.

Old 12-29-2018, 07:34 PM

34,914 posts, read 31,045,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
here in usa EVERY PERSON breathing..or having blood running thru them are mandated by LAW to have insurance. Otherwise Uncle Sam penalizes you....That aside.....

The urgent care I visit has visa/mc set up to pay upfront for the visit and then they decide afterwards what to upcharge for paying via card verses insurance. ( which my insurance doesn't cover urgent care ).

This supposed Transparency in medical fees is not crystal clear.

My area has two hospitals....and many more morgues to compensate...You do the math on why that is...
You just have to pay a penalty if you do not have coverage. Many times the penalty is going to be less than the cost of medical insurance.

Old 12-29-2018, 08:13 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,543,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
You just have to pay a penalty if you do not have coverage. Many times the penalty is going to be less than the cost of medical insurance.

You also must not have gotten the memo. The Obamacare penalty for not having health insurance is gone. It's dead. It's history. It doesn't exist anymore. If you want health insurance, get it. If you don't, no IRS penalty.

Old 12-29-2018, 11:45 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,052,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
A new rule going into effect January 1, 2019, will require hospitals to post a list of their standard prices online and make electronic medical records more readily available to patients.

Hospitals will have to post prices online starting January 1 - Story | WTTG
I am getting a HIPAA-like dejavu for some reason with this news. Another “really great idea that nobody asked for nor voted on�

I guess it’s too early to tell but I’m pretty sure there will be a “punch line†delivered eventually.

Old 12-30-2018, 11:03 AM

736 posts, read 453,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
Will it include fees for surgeons and others?
Surgeons aren't employees of the hospital. Thier billing is seperate.

Old 12-30-2018, 11:59 AM

3,682 posts, read 2,388,895 times
Quote:
A new rule going into effect January 1, 2019, will require hospitals to post a list of their standard prices online and make electronic medical records more readily available to patients.

Hospitals will have to post prices online starting January 1 - Story | WTTG
That's good news for us consumers.

We can more readily know how much we're getting squeezed.

Old 12-30-2018, 12:26 PM

5,843 posts, read 6,142,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PesachSeder View Post
Surgeons aren't employees of the hospital. Thier billing is seperate.
Surgeons, and other physicians, absolutely can be (and increasingly are) hospital system employees. However, as you point out above, their billing is always separate. Most often what you'll see is that physicians fall under a physician/faculty practice plan legally separate from the hospitals as their official employer and billing entity.

In some hospitals, all, or nearly all, of the physicians will be system employees, while in other hospitals, the medical staff is still a mix of hospital employed and private practice.

Old 12-30-2018, 12:33 PM

14,229 posts, read 29,959,936 times
I hope this works! We have needed this for a long time.

Several years ago I had a dental infection and no insurance. My dentist told me I needed IV antibiotics. Should be simple, right? A bag of fluids with antibiotics added. With an IV set. All simple items medical service providers use every day.

I could not find out what this was going to cost. They refused to tell me citing 'privacy rules'. Baloney! I wanted to know what it was going to cost me. I was not asking what they had charged someone else. There was no privacy issue involved. They all offered me the same solution. Just come in, get it done, and then find out what it costs. Great. Buy the car and find out what it costs AFTER you accept delivery. Not acceptable!

I finally called my dentist and told them I would have to just take the pills because I couldn't get anyone to give me a price.

Old 12-31-2018, 05:38 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,610,676 times
Quote:
Depending on the Insurance Company one uses, one pays an additional fee to the Insurance Company that covers Out of Network situations. Anthem does, don't know about others.
My marketplace insurance plan pays 0% for out of network physicians and services.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events