Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2018, 07:31 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,741,790 times

Advertisements

A new rule going into effect January 1, 2019, will require hospitals to post a list of their standard prices online and make electronic medical records more readily available to patients.

Hospitals will have to post prices online starting January 1 - Story | WTTG
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2018, 08:18 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,472,094 times
Our family medical records have easily been accessed online for a couple of years. It's a great tool. We use one particular hospital for tests and surgeries whenever possible, so "shopping around" isn't for us, but it may be very important for others who have no medical insurance.

Old 12-27-2018, 08:48 AM

1,415 posts, read 1,187,868 times
Quoted from the article:

Hospitals are already required to disclose prices publicly, but this change will put that information online in a machine-readable format that can be easily processed by computers.

It may still prove to be confusing to consumers since standard rates are like list prices and don’t reflect what insurers and government programs pay.

Patients concerned about their potential out-of-pocket costs from a hospitalization would still be advised to consult with their insurance company.

Sounds pretty meaningless to me.

Old 12-27-2018, 05:59 PM

7,774 posts, read 6,383,187 times
Will it include fees for surgeons and others?

How about the sneaky business of insurance not covering you if you are there for "observation" as opposed to "admitted"?

I have never chosen a hospital, the Doctor is the one that chooses.

Old 12-27-2018, 06:36 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,741,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
Will it include fees for surgeons and others?

How about the sneaky business of insurance not covering you if you are there for "observation" as opposed to "admitted"?

Actually what's bolded is the Hospitals or the group they belong to. Insurance companies call it the "23 hour rule". If a hospital is honest per se and have a staging area for the "23 hour rule" then a insurance company pays bills quickly as they come in. Bon Secours is known to be honest. On the other hand there is HCA who is known to be dishonest for numerous reasons, gets their billing rejected often which sometimes takes years to resolve.

Old 12-27-2018, 07:12 PM

22,660 posts, read 24,589,306 times
Brilliant.............I hope the Hospital-Industrial-Complex is feeling very furious and whiny.

This move may tamp-down on some of the outright scammery and make price-shopping a thing when it comes to picking a hospital.

Old 12-27-2018, 08:33 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,378,016 times
Good.

Old 12-27-2018, 08:57 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
I hope to see some positive change.

Here's how it went for me in 2018. My husband and I pay $1000 a month for medical coverage, with a $5000 EACH deductible (went up to $6500 each for 2019). I needed an MRI. Here's the crazy thing - if I hadn't had insurance, I would have paid about $1000 for the MRI. But that $1000 wouldn't have gone toward my deductible. I was pretty sure I was going to need surgery, which would certainly max out my deductible. Anyway, so the hospital does the MRI, and charges my insurance company (aka me, because I had that huge deductible to pay) $3000. OK, me - patient off the street paying out of pocket - $1000. Insurance company - $3000. Which in actuality I pay anyway.

But screw it, because the bottom line is that I was going to pay $5000 NO MATTER WHAT. I don't care how they label it, it's still $5000 out of my own pocket, not including the other $12,000 we paid in premiums, and my husband's $5000 deductible.

It just seems like a big shell game to me.

A few years ago I had to have surgery on my Achilles tendon. I have no idea what it cost insurance, but it cost me my deductible and then 20 percent of the remaining costs, so it ended up being about $8000 out of pocket for me for this outpatient surgery with no complications. A few months later, my uninsured yard guy injured his Achilles tendon. He had THE SAME outpatient surgery that I had, and he paid out of pocket for it. $3500.

Unbelievable.

Old 12-27-2018, 09:19 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,585,099 times
This will probably turn out to be as meaningless as those Cal Prop 65 warnings I see on virtually everything I buy.

Old 12-28-2018, 06:08 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
Quoted from the article:

Hospitals are already required to disclose prices publicly, but this change will put that information online in a machine-readable format that can be easily processed by computers.

It may still prove to be confusing to consumers since standard rates are like list prices and don’t reflect what insurers and government programs pay.

Patients concerned about their potential out-of-pocket costs from a hospitalization would still be advised to consult with their insurance company.

Sounds pretty meaningless to me.

I on't know about """meaningless"--but could be data overload for many people--

It makes me concerned it could lead to price-shopping for services and results that are less than average...
Doctors usually require priviledges to function at specific hospitals/systems
What do people do if the hospital their doctor uses is 15K more expensive for a procedure?
Get another doctor???

Will hospitals also post their rate of negative incidents--or lawsuits?
patients that develop post-op issues because of contamination from poor sanitary proceedures,
patients who have to be re-admitted because of complications after being sent home too soon...

Will they post their nurse to aide to patient ratios for different departments?

This is one of those abstract decisions that government thinks should be more helpful--
Like calorie count in fast food--that some people might pay attention to but that others likely don't
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events