Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 05:31 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times

Advertisements

Quietude imagines:

"Which in no way counters that we have (far too many) poorly funded schools."

We pay more per student for education than any other nation. In my district it is $14,500 per year. We have a 4 year old program, pre-K and Kindergarten before they even hit first grade. That's 15 years of education before they are high school graduates. That is $217,500 per student in our little public school system.

What do we get for our investment? Out of the 36 industrialized nations we are dead last; 36 out of 36 and our academic system is in a steep decline. if we do not kill Common Core and drive a stake through its dvil heart we will soon be down there with Zimbabwe. The United States Department of Education is a giant bureaucracy. It has no schools and teaches nobody.

Next year when the non-essential employees in the federal government come back to work from their paid vacations, they should find many of their buildings padlocked and for sale.

(Pay no attention to the tag line that some spammer put up there under my handle. I have not been a real estate agent for more than a quarter century.)

Harrumph!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2019, 06:45 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
The article in the the OP's link said that the bus driver casually told the mom that the kid had been slapped. Someone please give me an example in quotes of that mind sound like and a quote of sounding genuine concerned for the kid's safety. On the other hand, while I agree that he should be sued or terminated from his job, at least he brought the slapping incident to Mom's attention.
That's not what happened. The bus driver never told the mother on their own. The mother asked the girl what happened to her face, the girl told her she was beaten up so the mother went to confront the bus driver, that's when she was told. That's why I said the driver needs retrained or fired.

Old 01-06-2019, 09:29 AM

50,783 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Pervthe article, a 9 year old also participated in the attack, he’s since been moved to a different bus. Don’t see how that solves the problem.

Old 01-06-2019, 11:45 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,760,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Quietude imagines:

"Which in no way counters that we have (far too many) poorly funded schools."
The amount of funding, particularly on a collective basis like "per pupil," has nothing much to do with poor funding - poor and misdirected use of those funds - at the classroom level. I see you passed math but failed economics and probably haven't attended a school meeting in a while.

I write as the only non(formal)-educator in a large family of educators, professors, department heads, and education consultants. And school parent of eight. And taxpayer at a very high bracket for most of the school years. This is not vague territory for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events