Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 03:49 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,752,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
The only things I know about this case are what's in the linked article, but I have to ask - why is this a good thing?

That poster's glib "thumbs up" says a lot.

The governor is only half-right: This case IS tragic (for her victim) but there's nothing complex about it. She shot a man in the back of the head, then robbed him. This was no self defense, so those unfamiliar with this case should get the idea that hers was somehow an unjust conviction right out of their minds.

There's a place for mercy in our justice system. But there was only ONE victim here--and it wasn't Cyntoia Brown.

Old 02-04-2019, 03:51 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,321,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
That poster's glib "thumbs up" says a lot.

The governor is only half-right: This case IS tragic (for her victim) but there's nothing complex about it. She shot a man in the back of the head, then robbed him. This was no self defense, so those unfamiliar with this case should get the idea that hers was somehow an unjust conviction right out of their minds.

There's a place for mercy in our justice system. But there was only ONE victim here--and it wasn't Cyntoia Brown.
Clemency isn't granted in an effort to say the person isn't guilty. Cyntoia was granted clemency based on the belief that she was rehabilitated in prison and can now be a contributing member of society. The governor who granted her clemency didn't think someone else shot that man.

Old 02-04-2019, 03:54 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,321,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nng View Post
If I was in Cynthia browns exact situation I would have done the same thing she did. She was forced into sex slavery; the pimps out there will force young girls to do things they don't want do by threatening to beat them, torturing them. Sickening how people want to make the victim Cynthia brown into the evil one. Some people are sick. My facebook friend who is white by the way, put a post which said if Cynthia was a white 16 yr old white girl defending herself from someone who was gonna force her to have sex against her will, then no jury would convict. I totally agree. You people actually think a 16 year old child would willingly prostitute herself, and there was no coercion involved??? I am disgusted by the people who are trying to make Cynthia into a willing accomplice of some sort. Thank goodness they set her free. I hope she sues.
I agree. The man she shot was a Christian "youth minister". I wonder what kind of ministering he really did for the youth or what his motives were in working with young people. Him taking a young girl into his home alone certainly was very questionable, at best. Anyone who works as a youth minister would or should know better than this. IMO, his intention was sexual in nature. He wasn't trying to help her as some others claim.

Old 02-05-2019, 10:07 AM

18,073 posts, read 18,732,081 times
Quote:
If I was in Cynthia browns exact situation I would have done the same thing she did. She was forced into sex slavery; the pimps out there will force young girls to do things they don't want do by threatening to beat them, torturing them. Sickening how people want to make the victim Cynthia brown into the evil one. Some people are sick. My facebook friend who is white by the way, put a post which said if Cynthia was a white 16 yr old white girl defending herself from someone who was gonna force her to have sex against her will, then no jury would convict. I totally agree. You people actually think a 16 year old child would willingly prostitute herself, and there was no coercion involved??? I am disgusted by the people who are trying to make Cynthia into a willing accomplice of some sort. Thank goodness they set her free. I hope she sues.
You would have murdered some guy while he was sleeping, then rob him, then go directly back to the guy you are claiming is pimping and trafficking you?

It would make more sense to kill the pimp then go straight to the cops, or even more sense to go straight to the cops since she was exactly being tied up or detained or anything.

She was not being forced into sex against her will, it is obvious you did not read a single thing from the testimony.

Old 02-05-2019, 10:58 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,752,946 times
Quote:

Had there not been a murder victim here, that would be funny.

Nothing in this clemency abolves her of guilt or overturns her conviction. That "sex slavery" gar-baghe was a desperate figment of her defense team's imagination--and it was rightfully rejected.

Cyntoia Brown shot that man in the back of the head, and robbed him. She also bragged about it to a guard when she threatened to do the same thing to her.

As for 16-year-olds not engaging in prostitution of their own volition, that's laughable, too.

There was one victim here--and it wasn't Cyntoia Brown.

Old 02-05-2019, 11:07 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,547,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
Lots of people are fine with victim blaming - as long as the victim is a man....

On the other hand I don't believe in life sentences for teens. Now let the governor find a man who was sentenced as a teen and give him clemency also.
nope, man or woman when a so called "victim" raps and beats me, I don't give a hoot whether he's sleeping or not, the first chance I get, I'm putting a few caps in his you know what.

Old 02-05-2019, 11:19 AM

10,496 posts, read 5,557,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
nope, man or woman when a so called "victim" raps and beats me, I don't give a hoot whether he's sleeping or not, the first chance I get, I'm putting a few caps in his you know what.
That didn't happen in this case.

Do you generally make stuff up to support your position when the facts alone are insufficient?

Old 02-05-2019, 11:35 AM

16,826 posts, read 15,105,230 times
Quote:
No such thing happened in this case. Did Facebook give you this false information?

Old 02-05-2019, 11:35 AM

18,073 posts, read 18,732,081 times
Quote:
Well, as the other poster said, that is not what happened. It is obvious you have read nothing of the case, let alone any of the testimony in court.

Old 02-06-2019, 07:48 AM

8,717 posts, read 4,977,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
"Brown will be released on parole supervision on Aug. 7, 2019, after serving 15 years in prison."

https://www.wsmv.com/news/gov-haslam...MGAlYp-r1HDs7Y
A little off topic, but who in the world, gives a rats azz, about what Kim Kardashian thinks. I could care less about her and her family. Tired of hearing about her, and what she thinks. Sorry about the rant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events