Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 06:21 PM

2,578 posts, read 2,069,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
OK...I'm not an educator, let alone a special ed educator. But I have a son with Asperger's, and I used to have a close friend that was a Special Ed educator.

In my friend's case, she taught in a room completely dedicated to special education. In other words, ALL the kids in her class had special needs. A self-contained class I guess. In HER class, there was, within the walls of her classroom, a "calm down room". If a child was going to have a melt down, they would be led to the Calm down room. Sometimes my friend would call it the closet. (It wasn't a closet, but it was an enclosed space with limited stimuli. Often, the kids WANTED to go the room, as it DID help them calm down.

Now...our school district (that she taught in) is/was considered a 'good' school district...and these are the resources at that school. I wonder if the school in the video had similar accomodations? Cause I'm wondering why there was a need to drag this child through the halls.

To ME, it seems like an act of cruelty on the teacher's part. But that might be from my perspective, and having a child on the spectrum.
Agreed.

Perhaps the aide was having a bad day, or poorly trained or overworked. Stiil, no excuse for ever doing this or anything like it. Termination and charged with assault is entirely appopriate. With luck, she is never allowed to work with children again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2019, 07:54 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Plenty of folks have dragged their own children across the floor because they refused to stand up and walk. How is this different?
Uhmmm, because it's not THEIR own kid they are dragging? You can hit your own kids, you would NOT get away with hitting MINE.

Were there no teaching assistants to help get the child where they needed to go? There was no option other than drag them immediately down the hall? ...whatever, if nothing else, the optics are terrible and very difficult to defend.

Old 01-10-2019, 07:58 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,620 posts, read 17,953,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Uhmmm, because it's not THEIR own kid they are dragging? You can hit your own kids, you would NOT get away with hitting MINE.

Were there no teaching assistants to help get the child where they needed to go? There was no option other than drag them immediately down the hall? ...whatever, if nothing else, the optics are terrible and very difficult to defend.
In all fairness, I have to agree with Chessie.

It can't be a crime for someone to treat one child this way, but not a crime to treat another child this way.

That's not acceptable. That a behavior that rises to the level of an actual CRIME against one child, wouldn't be a crime against another child just based on who perpetrated it.

Your children aren't more precious than others, Renee, and deserving of better protection under the law than other people's children. What should be prosecuted as a crime against your children, should be prosecutable as a crime against any child.

Edited to add: I can see that a school would set down basic guidelines, and fire a teacher for this behavior. Or for a daycare to say, these are our discipline guidelines, and we will fire an employee for more aggressive discipline because that's not our standard. But for it to be a CRIME, legally prosecuted, where it's legal for a parent to do it, is not ok. A crime is a crime and anyone who commits a crime against children should be prosecuted regardless of whether it's a teacher or a parent or a stranger.

Last edited by ClaraC; 01-10-2019 at 08:28 PM..

Old 01-10-2019, 08:32 PM

2,578 posts, read 2,069,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
In all fairness, I have to agree with Chessie.

It can't be a crime for someone to treat one child this way, but not a crime to treat another child this way.

That's not acceptable. That a behavior that rises to the level of an actual CRIME against one child, wouldn't be a crime against another child just based on who perpetrated it.

Your children aren't more precious than others, Renee, and deserving of better protection under the law than other people's children. What should be prosecuted as a crime against your children, should be prosecutable as a crime against any child.

Edited to add: I can see that a school would set down basic guidelines, and fire a teacher for this behavior. But for it to be a CRIME, legally prosecuted, where it's legal for a parent to do it, is not ok. A crime is a crime and anyone who commits a crime against children should be prosecuted regardless of whether it's a teacher or a parent or a stranger.
Agreed.

Any coward who hits any child should be charged with assault.

Old 01-10-2019, 08:41 PM

37,607 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodburyWoody View Post
Agreed.

Any coward who hits any child should be charged with assault.
Yeah that's a whole other thread dude.

Old 01-10-2019, 10:28 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,099,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
My suggestion would be to call the parents immediately and have them come down to the school and deal with the disturbance, every single time.
Every single time? Maybe cap it off at twice a day? When Luke was in elementary school, I wouldn’t have ever been able to leave!

He never was sent to the Principals office for “disruptive behaviorâ€, however; what would that have even accomplished?

I’ve never seen a school SPED department that didn’t have a “Quiet Roomâ€. That’s usually a good intervention; a small but not cramped room with a door, dimmed lights & some bean bags & pillows, nothing breakable, etc ...

Old 01-11-2019, 06:41 AM

6,792 posts, read 2,904,212 times
Much ado about nothing as usual. Still, it brings out the armchair do-gooders who seem to have nothing better to do than to celebrate the messiness of people simply being human. "I wouldn't do that!" I hear you saying. For crying out loud, mind your own business and get on with your own perfect lives!

Old 01-11-2019, 07:28 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,022,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
Much ado about nothing as usual. Still, it brings out the armchair do-gooders who seem to have nothing better to do than to celebrate the messiness of people simply being human. "I wouldn't do that!" I hear you saying. For crying out loud, mind your own business and get on with your own perfect lives!

OR...

You could just quit forums and spare yourself the aggravation. LOL

Old 01-11-2019, 12:26 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Plenty of folks have dragged their own children across the floor because they refused to stand up and walk. How is this different?
Because it's not her kid. Plenty of parents also smack their children, but would you be okay with someone ELSE doing that to your child? I sure wouldn't.

Old 01-11-2019, 12:30 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
That is an interesting point you made. Just for general discussion --

Why ARE there different standards for teachers and parents?
Simple. Every parent has their own methods of discipline, and their own boundaries when it comes to punishment... some parents (like mine) will NEVER lay a hand on their child, while others think spanking and/or whipping is acceptable. It's not up to the teachers to undermine these family standards, which is why corporal punishment is no longer allowed in public schools. Just imagine if you had a strong moral stance against spanking, and found out your child's teacher had done it to them? I don't know about you, but I would be livid.

This is like asking why teachers can't teach Christianity, or any other specific religious beliefs in public schools. Again, because it's up to the PARENTS to decide how or if to raise their children with religion. Discipline falls under that category, and a good teacher knows how to control their students without physical force. I know many many teachers, and pretty sure none of them have resorted to hitting their charges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events