Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 06:09 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,015,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I completely agree with you, and I will add. There are some cold callous and ignorant people in the United States. How could any person be so uncaring. Its obvious Govt workers are looked down upon by these types. I guess they don't know or care. That air traffic controller, or the TSA Employees working those stressful jobs. Are doing so without any pay, and being forced to work. As are all the other employees.. Right now those employees don't give a rat's rear end, they will eventually be paid. They have bills today to pay, and have no idea when money will come in.

So I say to those smug callous people. Maybe they could try and think, what it would be like to be in such a horrible situation.
As one of those feds working....I thank you.

Old 01-11-2019, 06:13 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,561,198 times
Quote:
That air traffic controller, or the TSA Employees working those stressful jobs. Are doing so without any pay, and being forced to work.
In that light, maybe not flying right now would be good, adding stress to the people keeping planes from crashing seems like a bad idea for the passengers too

wonder how many have taken 2nd jobs and are coming in sleep deprived, to jobs meant to ensure "your" safety? Saw Miami closing one of their terminals due to call outs

thinking about the train accident last year where driver fell asleep, now have the traffic controller fall asleep

Old 01-11-2019, 06:15 AM

2,306 posts, read 1,707,813 times
Quote:
I completely agree with you, and I will add. There are some cold callous and ignorant people in the United States. How could any person be so uncaring. Its obvious Govt workers are looked down upon by these types. I guess they don't know or care. That air traffic controller, or the TSA Employees working those stressful jobs. Are doing so without any pay, and being forced to work. As are all the other employees.. Right now those employees don't give a rat's rear end, they will eventually be paid. They have bills today to pay, and have no idea when money will come in.

So I say to those smug callous people. Maybe they could try and think, what it would be like to be in such a horrible situation.

I think it's jealousy turned to hate. I know that I am a bit jealous of federal workers (they have much better benefits than I do), but I don't hate them for it. I am also jealous of federal contractors (who get paid a lot more than I do), but again, I don't hate them for it. Honestly, it sounds like despite the benefits in one case or the pay in the other, a lot of those jobs are stressful, boring, not fun to go to every day. I might have a lower paying job with shoestring benefits, but I like what I do and am not as miserable about work as some of my friends who work for the federal government or are contractors.

I also think some people who hate the government (in general) hate those who work for it without putting much thought into who those people are and what they do for us, the American people. They say, "fire them all" and it boggles my mind. I kind of like that there are people out there warning me when a hurricane might hit, I like that there are people out there keeping planes from crashing into each other, I like that there are men and women on the high seas stopping drug smuggling and rescuing people in need, etc.

Old 01-11-2019, 06:43 AM

9,531 posts, read 9,855,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
TSA workers earn about 40 k/yr. Often these are families that are living paycheck to paycheck. They don't have a 6 month reserve fund, or even a 6 week reserve fund. They're going to get evicted. Their cars will be repossessed. They'll have huge penalties applied to their credit card bills when they can't make their monthly payments.

It's expensive to be poor. Two missed paychecks for working class families can push them right over the edge financially, and it can take them a long time to come back from that.
This is a bit over dramatic. While eviction, repossession or credit card fees could happen, it takes time. Some courts may even sympathetic and offer extensions. If they contact their lenders, many will waive fees or even a payment or two until they can catch back up.

I agree this is stressful for them and many are in a no win situation.

Old 01-11-2019, 07:23 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,488,396 times
Certain government jobs would dictate to a prudent person to prepare in advance for a shutdown. This shutdown isn't the first and it won't be the last. If the sky is already falling for some, it shouldn't.

This isn't a local standoff. It's a nationwide condition and everyone knows about it. I don't believe that creditors will be holding a government worker's nose to the grind stone. The nation won't stand for abuse of that kind. (Just my opinion)

Old 01-11-2019, 07:23 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,701,246 times
Not affected in any way, shape or form.
Fund the wall and the shutdown will be over. It's that simple.
If these workers that are affected by the shutdown after only a few weeks, it's their own fault. Every household should have at minimum, a years worth of savings set aside.

Old 01-11-2019, 08:04 AM

11,404 posts, read 4,097,502 times
Better arrive early if you're flying out of Miami....

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1083736797618814978

Old 01-11-2019, 08:51 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,219,447 times
Please leave off political satements. Otherwise mods will close the thread.

I am interested in hearing how the shutdown has affected you. This is about your experiences, not your opinions.

Thanks.

Old 01-11-2019, 08:52 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,219,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joee5 View Post
Not affected in any way, shape or form.
Fund the wall and the shutdown will be over. It's that simple.
If these workers that are affected by the shutdown after only a few weeks, it's their own fault. Every household should have at minimum, a years worth of savings set aside.
This is not the thread for opinions. This is a place to share experiences.

Old 01-11-2019, 08:55 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,567,629 times
The shutdown has not affected me at all yet.

I feel for these folks. No one should be forced to work with pay being withheld, even if they do get it at a later time. Not all companies that you owe money to are willing to wait for their pay from you without penalty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events