Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 02:55 PM

720 posts, read 501,079 times

Advertisements

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/loc...227434344.html

Conor McGregor snatched and broke a fan's cell phone because he was taking pictures of him. As a result, he was arrested and charged with two felonies.

Not to minimize but am I the only person who thinks this isn't such a big deal? I get it. You can't break people's stuff, even if they're antagonizing you. Especially when you're a public figure, you have to know how to let stuff like that go. I'm not saying it's okay for fans to do that, but you have more to lose if you lose it.

On the other hand, dude, just buy the guy a new phone and call it a day. It's crazy to me that you would even antagonize an MMA fighter, but especially one known for being aggressive out of the octagon. I think he should be reimbursed for his property, but I don't feel bad for him. Celebrities are people too. Nobody would want some random idiot taking pictures of them while they're out. It's annoying and creepy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2019, 02:59 PM

17,206 posts, read 15,412,961 times
It's basically an issue made out of nothing. 2 felonies? Really? I agree: buy the person a new phone. Maybe throw him into an Anger Management class or two. A single night in jail to calm his nerves at the most.

Old 03-12-2019, 03:25 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,834,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
It's basically an issue made out of nothing. 2 felonies? Really? I agree: buy the person a new phone. Maybe throw him into an Anger Management class or two. A single night in jail to calm his nerves at the most.
That didn't help when he was sent to anger management classes as part of his plea deal last year in NYC.

In that case, felony charges resulting from his throwing a dolly through a bus window (and injuring people due to broken glass--nice) were dropped in exchange for those classes and community service.

What a joke. The guy's a loose cannon. If he went off the deep end (again), this time because a fan took a picture of him in his car, he must've really had to control himself when he was released from jail, amid dozens of reporters--and fans--snapping pics of that.

He's a jerk.

Old 03-12-2019, 03:31 PM

17,206 posts, read 15,412,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
That didn't help when he was sent to anger management classes as part of his plea deal last year in NYC.

In that case, felony charges resulting from his throwing a dolly through a bus window (and injuring people due to broken glass--nice) were dropped in exchange for those classes and community service.

What a joke. The guy's a loose cannon. If he went off the deep end (again), this time because a fan took a picture of him in his car, he must've really had to control himself when he was released from jail, amid dozens of reporters--and fans--snapping pics of that.

He's a jerk.
Ah. I don't follow him. I did not know that this was a reoccurring thing. Being that it is, yeah... He deserves a harsher punishment.

Old 03-13-2019, 10:56 AM

21,868 posts, read 25,161,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmil View Post
https://www.miamiherald.com/news/loc...227434344.html

Conor McGregor snatched and broke a fan's cell phone because he was taking pictures of him. As a result, he was arrested and charged with two felonies.

Not to minimize but am I the only person who thinks this isn't such a big deal? I get it. You can't break people's stuff, even if they're antagonizing you. Especially when you're a public figure, you have to know how to let stuff like that go. I'm not saying it's okay for fans to do that, but you have more to lose if you lose it.

On the other hand, dude, just buy the guy a new phone and call it a day. It's crazy to me that you would even antagonize an MMA fighter, but especially one known for being aggressive out of the octagon. I think he should be reimbursed for his property, but I don't feel bad for him. Celebrities are people too. Nobody would want some random idiot taking pictures of them while they're out. It's annoying and creepy.
Not really, no. It's theft and assault and he was charged with such. I bet if I walked up to you and assaulted you and stole your phone, you wouldn't be too happy about it. You'd probably want something done about it even.

As an isolated incident it's the kind of criminal behavior that quickly is plead out for a minor fine, a few hours of community service, and maybe an anger management class like the last time. Problem is there's less leniency for repeat criminals. Eventually the courts run out of patience. It won't be this time, but if he keeps it up eventually they will throw the book at him.

I don't feel sorry for the fan. He just hit a nice windfall.

Last edited by Malloric; 03-13-2019 at 11:11 AM..

Old 03-13-2019, 11:02 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,519,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmil View Post
It's crazy to me that you would even antagonize an MMA fighter, but especially one known for being aggressive out of the octagon. I think he should be reimbursed for his property, but I don't feel bad for him. Celebrities are people too. Nobody would want some random idiot taking pictures of them while they're out. It's annoying and creepy.
Since when is taking a picture (out in public where it's legal and there's no expectation of privacy for anyone) considered antagonistic. Isn't it fairly normal when you see a celebrity to snap a picture? (What's the popular saying ... "pictures or it didn't happen"?) Now I think paparazzi are completely different level because there's usually more hounding and harassment going on. But wasn't this just a random guy who tried to take a picture because he saw someone famous?

Old 03-13-2019, 11:21 AM

17,326 posts, read 22,065,118 times
He just needs to hire this guy as his double! Yes is was a prank and nobody realize it wasn't actually Colin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-srTvXH5bo

Old 03-13-2019, 11:23 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,477,592 times
How about we respect people's personal space by not photographing them without their permission?

Respect for other people's personal space. Boy, that's a lost concept today.

Old 03-13-2019, 11:42 AM

8,342 posts, read 2,967,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
How about we respect people's personal space by not photographing them without their permission?

Good idea but not gonna happen. Someone will always try to sucker some rich guy into doing something stupid. They'll likely settle for thousands. Connor's got to be ready for clowns like this guy that was likely trying to antagonize him and learn to blow it off and walk away.

Old 03-13-2019, 11:48 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,329,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post

Celebrities are just in that line of work. The press used to make an effort to publish only positive pictures. Look how protective they were of President FDR. Now it seems the dirtier the better. I get that you have no privacy but you're also out in public in a major city. And your fans are important to your success. Get over yourself. Lots of celebrities live low-profile lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events