Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 07:45 AM

6,556 posts, read 8,386,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina14 View Post
I read about this elsewhere. It's heartbreaking. The parents must be devastated.

I do wonder how the next-door neighbors heard the child crying and the child's parents did not.
From the article in the link, it sounds like the neighbors are on the ground floor while the parents are in an upstairs apartment. That, and because it was 4:00am makes me believe that is why the neighbors heard the child crying but not the parents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2019, 08:00 AM

2,259 posts, read 4,751,066 times
The couple we bought our house from had a two year old who would bolt every chance he would get. They had baby gates everywhere, and had all the doors leading outside, and his bedroom door latched at the top, and even tacked his windows shut.

Old 01-15-2019, 08:31 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,483,047 times
That's a tough one. I had an escape artist for a while once one of our sons figured out how to unlock the door. Problem was he also had a habit of waking up in the middle of the night and roaming around. Had to install some latches on each door up high to prevent him from doing so. But it did keep me up at night thinking about what would happen if he snuck out on one of these 10 degree nights and we forgot to latch the door. Needless to say, I used to get up a lot to check.

Old 01-15-2019, 08:48 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,058,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
This is just as bad as child left in an auto on a hot summer day. Are charges pending?
There is a world of difference between a child getting out and a child being left in a car. I like to think this could not have happened to me but you never know.

Old 01-15-2019, 08:49 AM

211 posts, read 117,885 times
These are the stories that hit you right in the gut. I've never lost a little one, heck I don't even have kids, but the thought of a little one trying to make their back inside because it's too cold and not being able to really does some damage to my emotions.

Old 01-15-2019, 10:32 AM

4,991 posts, read 5,284,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
This is just as bad as child left in an auto on a hot summer day. Are charges pending?
If you haven't been around little children,you probably don't realize how incredibly tricky they can be. They get ideas that you have never thought of. Combine that with motivation and the ability to problem solve and they are going places... often in the wrong direction, but they will do it. No one is a perfect parent. It is impossible to anticipate everything a little kid will do.

Old 01-15-2019, 10:48 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,782,018 times
WMUR-TV reported a woman and her boyfriend who lived next door heard cries around 4 a.m. Monday but didn't see anything. They went back to bed and the woman later found the girl at the bottom of the stairs leading to the child's apartment.

I hear cries I am going OUTSIDE to find out what is making them.... But that's me.....

Old 01-15-2019, 11:22 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,776,759 times
I would hate to be the neighbor who heard the crying at 4 am. She must feel so guilty.

Well, I guess this is one of the advantages of being the lightest sleeper the world has ever seen. Our kids' bedrooms have always been very close to ours in any house we lived in, and that was deliberate. I wake and hear them if their feet touch the floor, sometimes even if they roll over in bed! I don't think there's any way I could have slept through the door to the house being opened.

When I read this, I did wonder if the parents had been under the influence of alcohol or marijuana or narcotics when this occurred.

Old 01-15-2019, 11:42 AM

17,148 posts, read 15,357,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
I would hate to be the neighbor who heard the crying at 4 am. She must feel so guilty.

Well, I guess this is one of the advantages of being the lightest sleeper the world has ever seen. Our kids' bedrooms have always been very close to ours in any house we lived in, and that was deliberate. I wake and hear them if their feet touch the floor, sometimes even if they roll over in bed! I don't think there's any way I could have slept through the door to the house being opened.

When I read this, I did wonder if the parents had been under the influence of alcohol or marijuana or narcotics when this occurred.
Same. When I was married, we had a two-story, 4 bedroom house with two bedrooms downstairs and the master bed upstairs next to another bedroom. The kids shared the bedroom upstairs. No way were we going to give them rooms on a separate floor. Kids CAN be tricky. Although I was more concerned with burglars than the kids leaving.

Old 01-15-2019, 11:47 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,748,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
That's a tough one. I had an escape artist for a while once one of our sons figured out how to unlock the door. Problem was he also had a habit of waking up in the middle of the night and roaming around. Had to install some latches on each door up high to prevent him from doing so. But it did keep me up at night thinking about what would happen if he snuck out on one of these 10 degree nights and we forgot to latch the door. Needless to say, I used to get up a lot to check.
One of my sons is an escape artist and I do find myself getting up and checking the doors at least once a night, just in case, and I've been known to wake up randomly and go around the house making sure I have "eyes on" all of the kids. I'm not paranoid really but my one son is autistic and I hear of them escaping and dying of exposure a lot, even when they get older. It happened to a teenager not too long ago in this area. He keeps getting better at escaping the older he gets too. He's 7 now and we've just reached the point where we can't put the locks high enough where he can't get to them. Not sure what to do from here!

I live not too far from where this latest incident happened and it certainly has been extremely cold the last few nights. Heart wrenching what happened to this poor girl. I can't imagine what her parents must be going though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events