Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 12:05 PM

50,415 posts, read 36,051,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
This is just as bad as child left in an auto on a hot summer day. Are charges pending?
Charges for what? Daring to go to sleep at night? Little kids manage to get out sometimes no matter how good the parenting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2019, 01:06 PM

16,385 posts, read 12,383,944 times
I probably won't last long in this thread, as I'm already getting whiffs of the "perfect parent posse" ...

On a FB discussion about this story, so many are saying that the parents should have installed a deadbolt or chain. That deadbolt or chain is really no help once the kid figures out how to pull a chair over to the door. Someone else suggested a double-cylinder deadbolt and hiding the key (can you say "fire hazzard"?)

But it reminds me of a program I watched long ago about the Octomom. She had two doorknobs on every external door. The one at the normal height, and one near the top of the door. Both had to be turned simultaneously in order for the door to open. I thought that was pretty ingenious (and I admit I was a little shocked that she thought of something so smart!)

Old 01-15-2019, 02:07 PM

32,944 posts, read 3,910,528 times
I know someone who installed, in his home, a couple of the Door Chime Alerts like they use in stores and other businesses. You install one part over the door(s) and then plug in the other part that has the chime, into any outlet in any room you want. That's the kind they used, but I see there are many to choose from online. I heard it, it could be set pretty loud.

For ideas and options google: Business Door Chimes.

Old 01-15-2019, 02:20 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,984,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geebabe View Post
I know someone who installed, in his home, a couple of the Door Chime Alerts like they use in stores and other businesses. You install one part over the door(s) and then plug in the other part that has the chime, into any outlet in any room you want. That's the kind they used, but I see there are many to choose from online. I heard it, it could be set pretty loud.

For ideas and options google: Business Door Chimes.
This exactly. It's another reason we have a home security system with door chimes (self installed). You can hear when someone comes in/goes out and we have an option to set the system "at home" so if anyone opens the door to leave the alarm will go off.

Old 01-15-2019, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluch View Post
This exactly. It's another reason we have a home security system with door chimes (self installed). You can hear when someone comes in/goes out and we have an option to set the system "at home" so if anyone opens the door to leave the alarm will go off.
Growing up, we had one of these alarm systems. And the control panel was in my parents' bedroom.

Sucked when we were teenagers ... There was no sneaking out in the middle of the night. LOL!

Old 01-15-2019, 02:41 PM

16,826 posts, read 15,110,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Growing up, we had one of these alarm systems. And the control panel was in my parents' bedroom.

Sucked when we were teenagers ... There was no sneaking out in the middle of the night. LOL!
I used my room window.

Old 01-15-2019, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I used my room window.
All the windows had sensors.

(In my parents' defense, we had been burgled twice)

Old 01-15-2019, 06:29 PM

1,415 posts, read 1,176,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
But it reminds me of a program I watched long ago about the Octomom. She had two doorknobs on every external door. The one at the normal height, and one near the top of the door. Both had to be turned simultaneously in order for the door to open. I thought that was pretty ingenious (and I admit I was a little shocked that she thought of something so smart!)
First of all, she didn't think of it. Second, think about it for a couple seconds...

Old 01-15-2019, 07:04 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,181,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Are charges pending?
Aaaah, yes. Think first of blame and vengeance. Start throwing people in prison, that'll fix 'em.

Old 01-15-2019, 07:04 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,950,751 times
"Police Chief James Burroughs said they took the temperature at the scene, and it was 8 degrees below zero. Later, Burroughs said the child died as a result of 'exposure to the elements and hypothermia which are consistent with the autopsy results.'"

Good god. Barefoot and only in a nightgown in 8 below New England weather. What a torturous way to die. Especially for a 2 year-old.

I'm inside a heated house right now, wearing a giant hoodie, over a fleece, over a thermal shirt, over a regular shirt, and sitting in front of a space heater...and I'm still not as warm as I'd like to be. I am procrastinating going outside to bring the garbage cans back in because I don't want to go outside in the cold (24 degrees here). Can't imagine 8 below zero. Barefoot. And in a nightgown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events