Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 09:44 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docendo discimus View Post
So, a 1, 4 and 6 year old.

The NBC article says "The mother of the 4-year-old told investigators..."...so it seems the 3 children are not all siblings, and 2 of them were being babysat, I guess.

I can maybe (big maybe) see leaving a 6 year-old outside alone for 2 minutes while you run inside for a quick pee. But a 1 year old?? I would think that if someone asked you to watch their kids, you'd be super extra careful. The sheriff says in the video that the woman went inside for 10-20 minutes. WTF.
Right? I get nervous if my little dog gets out of my sight at the dog park! Sounds fishy. And very sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2019, 05:12 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
Wow. If you're going to be that half-assed about it, at least roll it over so the door is against the ground.
Either that or tie it up with duct tape.

Old 01-16-2019, 06:25 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docendo discimus View Post
The below is from the Suwannee County Sheriff's Office Facebook page:

Suwannee County Sheriff’s Office Investigators conducted interviews with all of the adults present at the home during this incident, and the preliminary investigation has revealed that the three children, age 1, 4, and 6 years old were playing outside in the yard, when for unknown reasons they climbed inside of a chest freezer that had recently been brought to the residence, but was not yet plugged in or brought inside, when the adult female went inside of the residence to use the restroom.

The freezer was not tossed by a neighbor. It belonged to the residence. And like someone already posted, they had installed a padlock hasp on the lid.

The statement above from the Sheriff's Office makes it sound like they hadn't had a chance to bring the freezer indoors yet. However, after watching a video that shows the property grounds, I don't think these people meant to bring it inside at all. The yard is the eyesore type, full of all kinds of abandoned looking trash including big plastic bins, wood scraps...even a washer.

https://www.wfla.com/news/florida/3-...nty/1701602950
Looking at the video that padlock hasp had been on for a very long time. Chances are that they bought the freezer or, more likely, were given the freezer with the hasp on.

The one thing that is not clear is the relationship between the woman and the kids? I did not hear the term 'mother' used. I'm not sure if this was a babysitter or mother? My condolences to the family. It sounds as if they will go after the woman for having a freezer with a lock. If she is the mother; I would not think that we could punish her more than the punishment she already inflicted on herself.

Refrigerators and freezers are not the only death traps for young kids. Our vehicles can also be death traps because they can overheat of freeze trapped children.

Old 01-16-2019, 06:43 AM

7,778 posts, read 10,162,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
This is also the law in California and I assume other states. I am not sure about Florida. If it is, who ever tossed the freezer could be facing serious charges.
The video in the link you shared shows the FL statute making it illegal and says they are considering charges.

Old 01-16-2019, 07:53 AM

5,464 posts, read 5,710,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidepod View Post
Maybe they should have said something, but there is no reason for three kids 6 and under to not be supervised by their parents. It is way too dangerous these day. The blood is on the parents hands for not monitoring their kids.
They were watched by a FloridaWoman, it is a species of woman who has kids with FloridaMan.
And we all know what FloridaMan is like...

Old 01-16-2019, 07:58 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,630,343 times
Default Suspicious indeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
It was a chest freezer. The children were 1, 4, and 6. Is it even possible for kids that small to raise the lid of a chest freezer and then climb inside?

I've never in my life owned one, so I don't know. I initially thought it was an upright freezer with an outward swing door.

Very sad story, and a bit suspicious to me.
My question is if she just went in to use the bathroom, she wouldn't have been gone long enough for them to suffocate. If she had come out right away, say a minute or two, she would have discovered them. I would think that was the first place to look. I don't know, the whole thing is suspicious. A tragedy indeed.

Old 01-16-2019, 08:10 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,027,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Looking at the video that padlock hasp had been on for a very long time. Chances are that they bought the freezer or, more likely, were given the freezer with the hasp on.

The one thing that is not clear is the relationship between the woman and the kids? I did not hear the term 'mother' used. I'm not sure if this was a babysitter or mother? My condolences to the family. It sounds as if they will go after the woman for having a freezer with a lock. If she is the mother; I would not think that we could punish her more than the punishment she already inflicted on herself.

Refrigerators and freezers are not the only death traps for young kids. Our vehicles can also be death traps because they can overheat of freeze trapped children.

The mother of the 4 yr. old was supposed to be watching the kids. She was the one that went inside to use the bathroom.

The other 2 children belonged with the grandmother.

Both women lived together in the same house, and were friends.

Old 01-16-2019, 08:18 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,027,035 times
Another thing that makes me shake my head...

The kids were playing on a trampoline when the woman went inside to use the bathroom. They showed the trampoline...and there's no netting around it.

I'm thinking "really? You walked away from the trampoline with a 1 yr. old baby on it? I mean...maybe a 6 yr. old would be fine. Maybe a 4 yr. old would be fine...but a 1 yr. old baby?" It sure seems like some negligence to me.

Old 01-16-2019, 10:07 AM

1,415 posts, read 1,188,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlelu View Post
My question is if she just went in to use the bathroom, she wouldn't have been gone long enough for them to suffocate. If she had come out right away, say a minute or two, she would have discovered them.
I've never known a woman to spend less than a half-hour in the 'powder-room'. Kids were doomed!

Old 01-16-2019, 10:19 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,198,053 times
The state of Florida is a strange creature indeed. Just about every law I ever grew up learning in Massachusetts is either not a law down here or isn't followed. I am always smh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events