Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 07:53 AM

50,783 posts, read 36,486,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I will not quote Shakespeare's 'The quality of mercy' but there are some cases where the letter of the law does not sever the general good of the people. It' like the boyfriend that is one month older than the minor and we charge him with statutory rape because in the eyes of the law; he is an adult.

I grew up in the country and I was always outside and had many close calls. Just like the previous poster stated that they did not know how they survived; but we did. But I don't blame my parents for my close calls; I got what I wanted and that was 'freedom'.

So you want to fine these women or imprison them? What good will that serve - other than making you feel better? We have had Presidents that left out drug pushers and worse; I would have been happy if they served every last day of the sentence and then some. This was a tragedy and I am sure they are not celebrating.
I couldn’t agree more. Somethings simply are accidents. We had a case in Philadelphia about 10 years ago where a grandfather who was in his late 80s accidentally forgot his granddaughter in the back of the car and she died. The prosecutor wanted to prosecute him! The poor man was already distraught and was never going to forgive himself. It was simply an accident. The outcry from the public was so loud and so constant that they ended up dropping the charges. What is the point of putting an 88-year-old grieving grandfather in prison? I feel like some people see prison as a form of revenge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2019, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I can't assume to know what I would do in this situation, but a question - when did PSAs about freezer and refrigerator danger end? I can't say that at 31 it was ever something that I was warned about. As a result of this tragedy, I've seen mention of a "very special episode" of Punky Brewster, but that was off the air when I was a baby.

In a panic, I don't know that I would necessarily think of a freezer as being a danger compared to concern about the kids running off or being abducted. Granted, I can't imagine spending 30-40 minutes searching for a 1 year old without calling the police.
It used to be a very big thing in the 60s and 70s when I grew up. You’re right I don’t recall seeing any PSAs about this in the recent past.

Old 01-19-2019, 08:20 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I couldn’t agree more. Somethings simply are accidents. We had a case in Philadelphia about 10 years ago where a grandfather who was in his late 80s accidentally forgot his granddaughter in the back of the car and she died. The prosecutor wanted to prosecute him! The poor man was already distraught and was never going to forgive himself. It was simply an accident. The outcry from the public was so loud and so constant that they ended up dropping the charges. What is the point of putting an 88-year-old grieving grandfather in prison? I feel like some people see prison as a form of revenge.
Thank you! I know that we take opposite sides on many issues. But, unless I would see evidence that these women placed their kids in that freezer; I just feel sorry for their loss.

I could picture the women panicking and overlooking the freezer. Maybe they just watched a kidnaping on TV and totally overlooked the real danger?

We are humans and we do make mistakes. Hopefully we will never make a mistake that cost anybody, let alone a loved one, their life or serious injury.

Old 01-19-2019, 04:17 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
I'm sure the families are gonna work with the lawyers to sue the mfg for negligence. That's what this country is good at, blaming others for their own stupidity and responsibility.

Old 01-19-2019, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I'm sure the families are gonna work with the lawyers to sue the mfg for negligence. That's what this country is good at, blaming others for their own stupidity and responsibility.
Everyone doesn’t go this, in fact the majority of people don’t. Why don’t we wait to see what they actually do rather than lament and criticize what we imagine they will do?

Old 01-19-2019, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Judging from the looks of the freezer; the company could have been out of business for many years. Besides; the hasp looked like it was put on by maybe the original owners and not by the company. I don't even think any company would offer one with a hasp for a lock?

Old 01-19-2019, 05:47 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
We do not know the health or mental well being of these two women. We have never legislated proving mental competency to become a parent. Also all of our attention is focused on the women; what was the responsibility of the fathers? I would bet that the father/s were the one/s responsible for bringing the freezer home. Should they not be blamed, if that is the case, for providing this lethal trap? Or should we blame the person that sold or gave the freezer away with the hasp already mounted? The original owner could have removed the hasp before they gave it away.
The people watching the kids are always the ones responsible for the kids. I'm trying to say the women watching the kids were probably ignorant to the fact that kids get into freezers and die. Maybe it's the fact that there were 3 of them and it's more unusual to think 3 kids would have climbed in, I don't know, but opening things up to look seems like something most reasonable people who do.

Old 01-19-2019, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
The people watching the kids are always the ones responsible for the kids. I'm trying to say the women watching the kids were probably ignorant to the fact that kids get into freezers and die. Maybe it's the fact that there were 3 of them and it's more unusual to think 3 kids would have climbed in, I don't know, but opening things up to look seems like something most reasonable people who do.
We were not there and maybe you're right? I simply want to give the women that chance to respond. You are innocent until proven guilty and I am just questioning if justice will be served by going after these women? Many on this thread simply want to throw the book at the women. That will not bring back the children and it could make us responsible to need of these women for years in a prison. My feeling and I could be wrong; is that they are suffering more than the system could ever make them suffer. They will be questioning their actions until they die.

Old 01-29-2019, 04:22 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,017,461 times
https://www.foxnews.com/us/no-charge...er-authorities

Quote:
No charges filed in deaths of 3 Florida children found ‘trapped inside’ of a freezer: authorities
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events