Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 12:51 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,372,221 times

Advertisements

I'm 42 and it has never occurred to me to question if a bill is counterfeit. To expect that kind of savvy from a middle schooler is pretty insane. If they thought the kid or his family was somehow involved, it was the school's job to call the police. To suspend a student in good standing over a perfectly innocent mistake is reprehensible and unacceptable. I don't care that it was "just" an in-school suspension. For a conscientious student (as it is indicated this child is), it is a serious blow to receive an undeserved punishment and the humiliation that accompanies that. I honestly hope the parents sue. This is a policy that is both bizarre and potentially damaging.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2019, 02:39 PM

9,897 posts, read 3,429,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
As a retired middle school principal, assuming the story is as presented, this is just about the dumbest thing I've ever heard a school administrator doing. I think the principal should be demoted or fired.

Just to point out though, it is an in-school suspension.
Those are the worst kind; you still have to go to school.

Old 01-20-2019, 02:59 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,507,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Alot of counterfeiters today are producing fakes that can pass the pen test.
But the pens still catch many counterfeits, so as cheap as they are, they're an easy tool for businesses to have on hand.

Old 01-21-2019, 08:12 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,594,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
No, it wouldn't.

Producing counterfeit currency is expensive. There has to be a reasonable return on the investment in order to warrant the risk. Passing $1s and $5s is way too labor intensive unless the bills are made really cheaply, in which case they're even more vulnerable to being noticed as bogus at the transactional level. And all counterfeit currency that reaches the Federal Reserve is examined (by machine, then by hand if the machine detects anything untoward), regardless of denomination. Unless a counterfeiter is spending a fortune producing super-$1s and super-$5s (in which case they're losing money, period) then those bills are being discovered. And the more bills they produce (and the lower the denomination being passed, the more they have to pass to make a profit) they more data points the Fed is gaining, which helps them zero in on the source.

Only a very small percentage of counterfeit bills are $1s, and only a small percentage are $5s, because of these reasons. Even the $10 isn't much worth counterfeiting. The sweet spot is the $20, which can be passed in sufficient numbers to make it worthwhile while getting relatively little attention at the transactional level, while the $50 and the $100 get a fair amount of scrutiny. (and anyone dumb enough to try and counterfeit bills that are long out of circulation, like the $500, is probably too clueless to churn out a reasonable bogus bill)
You are forgetting that technology is making counterfeiting easier and easier, the old saying that the criminals are always one step ahead of the law, thats actually true, it takes awhile for LE to catch on.

Old 01-21-2019, 12:25 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,760,486 times
Quote:
You are forgetting that technology is making counterfeiting easier and easier...
No, not really.

Old 01-21-2019, 12:32 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
Quote:
You are forgetting that technology is making counterfeiting easier and easier, the old saying that the criminals are always one step ahead of the law, thats actually true, it takes awhile for LE to catch on.
It is harder now than ever to counterfeit.

Criminals are starting to explore less common currencies, that do not have the advance counter measures to prevent counterfeiting as countries like the US has, but it is difficult and next to impossible to move such currencies without everyone actually examining if they are counterfeit, and those countries are improving vastly by constructing out currency producing to venders who are well equipped in creating money that is difficult to counterfeit.

Old 01-26-2019, 09:56 AM

995 posts, read 509,948 times
Stories like this is the reason why I'm a huge advocate of home schooling, with taxpayer support. I support a universal voucher system as well, and the elimination of public school districts. Let the parents - and the children decide what kind of education they want, in the environment they decide is best.

Public schools are little better than prisons these days, especially for students of color. Had that kid been a rich white kid in a upper-class school, this would have never happened. Institutionalized racism at its best.

Old 01-26-2019, 10:55 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,347,290 times
Default The decision was reversed

The Superintendent corrected the obviously wrong outcome...

A 12-year-old honor student who was suspended in Henry County for unintentionally using counterfeit money to pay for lunch has returned to class on the superintendent’s order.
And better yet....

“The Superintendent found the assignment of punishment to lack the necessary discretion given the evidence produced that the student was completely unaware,” the statement said. “Additionally, she has directed the immediate examination of the entire Code of Conduct and the process for assigning consequences for student infractions.”
https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/hen...line/905598610

Old 01-26-2019, 12:58 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,884,678 times
An early lesson for the child about our criminal justice system.

Guilty until proven innocent.

There is no way to prove intent with a single counterfeit $20 bill. If an organization tried to say I intentionally used a fake bill (90% of the time I get my cash directly from the ATM if it's $20 or over) I would sue them into oblivion and end up owning the business if they didn't end with arbitration, because I know no such case would ever hold up in court of law.

Old 01-26-2019, 01:01 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,884,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I'm 42 and it has never occurred to me to question if a bill is counterfeit. To expect that kind of savvy from a middle schooler is pretty insane. If they thought the kid or his family was somehow involved, it was the school's job to call the police. To suspend a student in good standing over a perfectly innocent mistake is reprehensible and unacceptable. I don't care that it was "just" an in-school suspension. For a conscientious student (as it is indicated this child is), it is a serious blow to receive an undeserved punishment and the humiliation that accompanies that. I honestly hope the parents sue. This is a policy that is both bizarre and potentially damaging.
We're in a new kneejerk America. This is why I laugh when people ask me when I'm going to have kids? What for? To subject them to this crap? This entire culture and society is completely dysfunctional.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events