Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 11:42 AM

12,832 posts, read 9,029,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
As a retired middle school principal, assuming the story is as presented, this is just about the dumbest thing I've ever heard a school administrator doing. I think the principal should be demoted or fired.

Just to point out though, it is an in-school suspension.
Why would in school suspension be any less wrong?

And educators wonder why the public doesnt support them. Only when educators start policing their own and getting rid of dumb policies and poor performers can trust be regained.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2019, 12:12 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 1 day ago)

35,583 posts, read 17,927,273 times
I read several different articles and saw the parents interviewed.

This story really seems to be all there is to it - it doesn't appear anyone thought he knew it was counterfeit, or had created it himself.

Interesting that it's in the student code of conduct that possession of counterfeit money is against the rules. I don't think that's in our student handbook - it's not a problem.

The news story I watched said it's a big problem there, and had run a prior story of a girl passing counterfeit money. After her hearing, she was not punished.

So it does seem there's SOMETHING maybe more to this story?

Old 01-17-2019, 12:22 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,751,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
So it does seem there's SOMETHING maybe more to this story?
Just as there always, always, always is to the stories discussed in here, which stops no one from taking sides and vehemently arguing their faulty interpretation of the (sometimes purported) event.

Old 01-17-2019, 12:25 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,090,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
does it matter? isn't the entire purpose of school to educate the kids? if they stop that, school serves no purpose for that particular kid. the kid did nothing "disruptive" to warrant a suspension

parents if they can afford it, sue the school and then pull the kid and put him in a better school
I loved in-school suspensions when I occasionally received one growing up, lol I did my homework for days in advance and probably learned more in those 8 hours than I would have otherwise.

Old 01-17-2019, 12:30 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,534,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llowllevellowll View Post
probably learned more in those 8 hours than I would have otherwise.
then why go to class? sounds like school did a disservice to you by not making the best of the time you were there in doing their jobs as educators

Old 01-17-2019, 12:50 PM

13,705 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I read several different articles and saw the parents interviewed.

This story really seems to be all there is to it - it doesn't appear anyone thought he knew it was counterfeit, or had created it himself.

Interesting that it's in the student code of conduct that possession of counterfeit money is against the rules. I don't think that's in our student handbook - it's not a problem.
Given what happened at my HS, (this was going on 17 years ago,) two doofuses made counterfit money on a color printer. I don't recall the details of how they were caught, but the Secret Service did come to school for them. They were expelled (private HS) though they were allowed to come back the next year. They were Freshman, truly it was stupid kids dabbling in stuff they didn't know was as big of a deal as it was. If they weren't 14 I think they might have been in bigger trouble.

So I wonder if the school didn't have a problem with dingbats making fake money before.

Old 01-17-2019, 01:39 PM

50,762 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
does it matter? isn't the entire purpose of school to educate the kids? if they stop that, school serves no purpose for that particular kid. the kid did nothing "disruptive" to warrant a suspension

parents if they can afford it, sue the school and then pull the kid and put him in a better school
I can only speak for the in-school suspension in our school. The student was provided lessons by each of his/her teachers that followed along as closely as possible what was happening in the classroom. The teacher aide provided those students with assistance, as needed. So education was still going on. And typically, students begged to be suspended out of school, rather than in-school.

Old 01-17-2019, 01:41 PM

50,762 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Why would in school suspension be any less wrong?

And educators wonder why the public doesnt support them. Only when educators start policing their own and getting rid of dumb policies and poor performers can trust be regained.
I didn't say that. You said that.

I'm just pointing out that several posters are writing as if the child was sent home.

And by the way, just for the record, I agree about educators getting rid of dumb policies and poor performers.

Old 01-17-2019, 01:48 PM

2,306 posts, read 1,702,086 times
Sometimes schools suspend kids for dumb reasons. I was suspended in middle school because some other kid stole glue out of my school bag and put it in a girl's hair. Somehow, since it was my glue, it was also my fault (even though I didn't even know they took it out of my bag). I was an honor student too, never got in trouble for anything... aside from being a victim of theft.

Old 01-17-2019, 03:29 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,751,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I'm just pointing out that several posters are writing as if the child was sent home.
It doesn't matter if he was told to stand in the corner of each of his classrooms. There is absolutely no basis for the school to punish him, on any grounds, to any degree, at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events