Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 01:14 AM

725 posts, read 805,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
A Georgia middle school honor student received a 10 day in-school suspension for using a counterfeit $20 bill to pay for his lunch. His dad gave him the money and was not aware that it was counterfeit. Though the parents filed a police report and stated that they received the bill in a transaction at a fast-food restaurant, the school says that because the child was in possession of the counterfeit bill it is a violation of their honor code.

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/hen...line/905598610

Perhaps there is more to this story (though I don't think there is), but this seems like an unduly harsh punishment for an unknowing mistake.
Keep him home for 10 days and sue the school district. Let him pay video games and have a heck lot of fun. He is gaining nothing by being in school anyway aside from socializing. Let’s be honest: school beyond abcs or 123s is just a place where kids are fed biased and often useless information (sure knowing about the sack of Rome in the 400s or Dickens is going to help with life and career endeavors, yeah right) and programming kids with a thought process so all kids are boxed in and think the same way. It is an excuse so worthless teachers with literature and math degrees can have a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2019, 05:28 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,572,023 times
he shouldve held it up to the light:
https://www.reddit.com/r/mildlyinter...it_us_50_bill/

Old 01-19-2019, 06:09 AM

16,418 posts, read 12,502,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I am being serious and I wasn't refering to Monopoly money. That is just being obtuse. What I meant and obviously went over your head was that texture might be off or the face might be off. There are A LOT of small details that if you look, maybe you'd see a bill is counterfeit. Obviously there was enough for the lunchlady knew it was off and the child got in trouble for something that someone should have realized at some point.
The lunch lady didn’t recognize it as counterfeit. The only reason she knew is because she swiped it with a pen. Something she’s probably been told to do with all $20s.

Old 01-19-2019, 06:19 AM

185 posts, read 134,150 times
The child got the money from the parents. When I was a kid I never thought to check to see if money my parents gave me was real. Even his parents did not check as I suspect many people do not yet some wants to hold this kid to a higher standard. As has been pointed out, the lunch lady knew because she used the pen so this clearly was a good counterfeit.

Suspending him just because he had the money makes no sense if they had no past history with this child especially when reasonable explanations were given.

Last edited by miasth; 01-19-2019 at 06:29 AM..

Old 01-19-2019, 06:54 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,837,015 times
This story stinks to high Hell. A lot of us have unknowingly passed a bad bill, they are all over the place these days. I have made a deposit and they called me later from the bank and told me I had a bad bill in the mix. Every few months, we get a call from out bank at work, and they tell us our deposit had a bad $20 or $100 bill in last nights deposit, and WE SWIPE WITH THE PENS. Sometimes even the pen does not work.

I called that school and left a voice message for the principal, saying I thought what they did to that young man was wrong and inexcusable. He did nothing wrong, how was he or his dad supposed to know they got a bad bill? He could have gotten it as change at some store, and would have no way to know...…..none of us use a pen on every bill we get...…..I never check any of mine, why would I ?

I know schools need to have rules, but this is absolutely nuts.

Old 01-19-2019, 09:10 AM

6,558 posts, read 8,389,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
The kid did indeed pass the bill, that's not even questionable. He's absolutely "guilty" of that act.
Duh.

I’m also guilty of passing a bill this morning, it just so happened it wasn’t counterfeit. Or maybe it was and no one caught it. I’m 41 years old and I don’t know how to spot a fake.

Old 01-19-2019, 09:45 AM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
If this is all true then it's ridiculous. Who knows though.

Must have been a bad counterfeit though if the lunch lady could tell it was a fake.
That's what I was wondering; how did the school know it was counterfeit? And if it was that obvious, why didn't the parents notice it?

Old 01-19-2019, 09:49 AM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
Duh.

I’m also guilty of passing a bill this morning, it just so happened it wasn’t counterfeit. Or maybe it was and no one caught it. I’m 41 years old and I don’t know how to spot a fake.
I spoke to a business owner, who said he'd gotten counterfeits from a bank. That's a bit surprising. But they say, that most counterfeits distinguish themselves by the finer precision of their print. Most come from North Korea; Customs officials have found entire containers full of them, coming in.

Old 01-19-2019, 09:57 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,191,547 times
Quote:
If it is blatant countefeit, yes. What kind of kid hasn't seen a $20 and various version by the time they are 12? I mean if they don't recognize it, that is a different story altogether. But most know what 20s should look like. I know from being a cashier that you do have people either knowingly or unknowingly scam the cashier with countfeits. I hope it was the unknowingly but this will teach child and parent a lesson.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
The kid did indeed pass the bill, that's not even questionable. He's absolutely "guilty" of that act.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
there was a study years ago that most money in washington, d.c. has traces of cocaine:
https://latimesblogs.latimes.com/was...ngton-d-c.html
Most cashiers also have trace amounts of cocaine on their hands too, from handling money, especially those rolled up tight bills people would hand me and I'd have to unroll to put in the register.

Old 01-19-2019, 10:05 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,489,451 times
Quote:
The thing is with using counterfeit tender, places don't know if you are using it for bad means or got it by accident and it would be easy to lie about it if you used it. Like if I used a counterfeit $20 myself, all I had to do is lie and say"Oh I got that from the last cashier I went to" and I could get off. For a school to allow lying to get a student off is asking for trouble.

True. But the first thing anyone should do when they get a counterfeit bill is call the feds. Let them figure out whose story has merit and whose doesn't. That's their job.

If the Feds discover that the kid did know, suspend him then. Give him double time for passing counterfeit bills plus lying about it. The instant justice craze of firing or suspending at the first suggestion of impropriety without any investigation is getting out of hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events