Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 05:10 PM

3,658 posts, read 2,562,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Hunting isn't a sport.
Opinions vary. ESPN outdoors and millions of people might disagree with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2019, 05:16 PM

37,608 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I eat meat and I am not some wacko PETA person, not by a long shot. I would respect this old woman a lot more if she was doing something that actually improved things in some way than just shooting deer. That goes for anyone at any age.

There is a difference between understanding the necessity that animals have to die for one to survive and glorifying the act of killing animals through sport.
She was NOT "killing for sport".

We eat venison every winter. You think they just walk up to the door and lay down?? Our hunter friends graciously give us several cuts every year. It's delicious!

Old 01-21-2019, 05:49 PM

2,264 posts, read 1,483,680 times
I killed two deer at once - but I used a Ford Tempo, not a rifle.

First two I ever bagged, but not the last (got that one with my Nissan Altima).

Old 01-21-2019, 06:29 PM

30,153 posts, read 11,783,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
Where do you get your meat? Are you a vegan? No one seems to want to answer this question.

Have you ever gone fishing? Do you eat fish?

People who hunt and fish and process their catch are doing it for consumption. We just don't think the food fairy miraculously provides food. Enter a slaughterhouse and tell me your observations. Will you still eat meat after that or will you just not look into this and feel good eating your burger and turning a blind eye as to how that meat was processed.
Growing up in California I fished for rainbow trout that were stocked by a local hatchery. In Texas I fished for redfish that were also hatchery raised. So the fish I caught were raised for the sole purpose of eventually being caught and eaten.

I would put slaughterhouses in the same category as hatcheries. The animals are raised their for the purpose of being killed and sold as food. I buy as much as I can from local raised livestock when I am at my summer home which is surrounded by farms. I know a lot of the local ranchers and know what I am buying and how they do their whole process. I stay away from supermarket meat.

Their is no sport in raising and killing livestock in slaughterhouses. Unlike hunters. The animals they kill are just unlucky enough to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. And if the hunter fails to kill the animal it suffers a horrible slow death. Again, slaughterhouses have a 100% success rate at killing their livestock.

If we get to the point where lab grown meat can be grown and sold at competitive prices I would switch to that.

The point that myself and some others are making is that there is a necessity to killing animals for food. We used to do it as hunters and gatherers and now do it as a business with slaughterhouses. Hunting no longer is a necessity and not at a sport any more than bull fighting is. And in my opinion glorifying killing mammals for sport is wrong.

Old 01-21-2019, 06:40 PM

3,366 posts, read 1,605,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Growing up in California I fished for rainbow trout that were stocked by a local hatchery. In Texas I fished for redfish that were also hatchery raised. So the fish I caught were raised for the sole purpose of eventually being caught and eaten.

I would put slaughterhouses in the same category as hatcheries. The animals are raised their for the purpose of being killed and sold as food. I buy as much as I can from local raised livestock when I am at my summer home which is surrounded by farms. I know a lot of the local ranchers and know what I am buying and how they do their whole process. I stay away from supermarket meat.

Their is no sport in raising and killing livestock in slaughterhouses. Unlike hunters. The animals they kill are just unlucky enough to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. And if the hunter fails to kill the animal it suffers a horrible slow death. Again, slaughterhouses have a 100% success rate at killing their livestock.

If we get to the point where lab grown meat can be grown and sold at competitive prices I would switch to that.

The point that myself and some others are making is that there is a necessity to killing animals for food. We used to do it as hunters and gatherers and now do it as a business with slaughterhouses. Hunting no longer is a necessity and not at a sport any more than bull fighting is. And in my opinion glorifying killing mammals for sport is wrong.

By that logic, people should abandon learning and teaching all the artisan, single craftsman technologies and skills of the past, because you "feel we should".

To choose to completely lose the appreciation and ability to exercise basic and fundamental life skills is a massively naive and idiotic move.

Old 01-22-2019, 05:51 AM

30,153 posts, read 11,783,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo302 View Post
By that logic, people should abandon learning and teaching all the artisan, single craftsman technologies and skills of the past, because you "feel we should".

To choose to completely lose the appreciation and ability to exercise basic and fundamental life skills is a massively naive and idiotic move.

So you are comparing metal working, wood working, etc to shooting animals? If its all about becoming a good marksman the target can be a bullseye not a helpless animal. On top of that if one wants to get the feel of actually hunting game there are lots of video games that fill that void.

Old 01-22-2019, 06:27 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,449,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo302 View Post
Yet you keep buying your prepacked meats at the grocery.
Your "hogwash" statement simply shines a light on your ignorance.
Assume much? Hmm...
The fact is killing for sport under the guise of doing a public service for nature...is hypocrisy.
I rest easy in my years knowing I did not plot or savor killing just to slap a head with antlers on a mantle. Barbaric ritual.

Old 01-22-2019, 06:32 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,378,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
Opinions vary. ESPN outdoors and millions of people might disagree with you.
They can certainly disagree but it's not a sport. And it doesn't surprise me that a 101 year old woman can still point, aim and shoot the trigger. It's not that hard. A little child could do it.

Old 01-22-2019, 06:39 AM

3,658 posts, read 2,562,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
They can certainly disagree but it's not a sport. And it doesn't surprise me that a 101 year old woman can still point, aim and shoot the trigger. It's not that hard. A little child could do it.
I bet the child could not take down two deer with one shot.

Old 01-22-2019, 07:36 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,276,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
So 101 and still good at killing and destroying life. Lovely.
I think if I were her at 100 years old I'd be very proud that I could still participate and provide food for my family.
Any one who eats meat has to realize that a life was killed...or destroyed as you like to say.
She's amazing....good for her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events