Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2019, 01:21 PM

193 posts, read 69,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I believe I saw that one of the local farmers markets here gave some sort of bonus or incentive for people to use their benefits at the farmers market this past summer for fresh produce. It would be interesting to see if, and how much difference that made to the recipients and if it was utilized to any significant degree.
This is one of the reasons I think vs giving people free money on an EBT card to buy junk I.E cookies, cakes, soda & potato chips they should be given food vouchers for basic grocery items like the WIC program (assuming that's how WIC still works anyway). If they want to buy junk food then they should be spending their own money instead of spending everyone else's.

Old 01-23-2019, 02:20 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,583,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Yes... But there's a difference between buying junk with money you earned from work, versus buying junk with money given to you for free under the impression that you absolutely need it to survive. SNAP/EBT should be treated the same as one would treat his/her last dollars while food shopping.

If you remove your moral view on it their purchasing trend isn’t very far off from the norm, that’s what I was pointing out

Old 01-23-2019, 02:37 PM

50,783 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixlets82 View Post
This is one of the reasons I think vs giving people free money on an EBT card to buy junk I.E cookies, cakes, soda & potato chips they should be given food vouchers for basic grocery items like the WIC program (assuming that's how WIC still works anyway). If they want to buy junk food then they should be spending their own money instead of spending everyone else's.
Again however many poor areas do not have grocery stores easily accessible. Sometimes you have to just get what you can get.

Old 01-23-2019, 02:39 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,134,528 times
I think the stalemate will be broken once food benefits cannot be funded any longer without the Government reinstated. Once people run out of the ability to put food on the table, with no quick relief in sight it will get ugly fast. No way there won't be looting and unrest. TPTB know this. All that chaos shows less power over people depending on them, not more.

Old 01-23-2019, 02:48 PM

19,803 posts, read 9,357,559 times
In reading this thread and others like it, it seems to me that there are two predominant thoughts on this whole SNAP "issue" (meaning SNAP recipients in general, and not the present possibility of a temporary end to benefits).

Opinion No. 1: 'Most SNAP recipients have made bad choices in life, and should suffer the consequences of making bad choices by not having as many privileges as those who earn enough money to buy all their food without having government/taxpayer assistance.'

Opinion No. 2: 'Most (or all) SNAP recipients are simply victims of circumstances over which they had little or no control, and so it is not their fault that they must have SNAP assistance in order to live, and so they should not be penalized for something that is not their fault.'

It seems to me that most people have one of those two opinions, and I cannot think of any solution that would satisfy people on both 'sides'.

(However, I take a somewhat middle view in that I do think that in most cases, the parents and environment a child is born to has a lot to do with whether or not someone ends up needing SNAP or other kinds of government assistance, but that individual choices made as an older teen or adult play a large part, too.)

Last edited by katharsis; 01-23-2019 at 03:51 PM..

Old 01-23-2019, 02:58 PM

193 posts, read 69,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Again however many poor areas do not have grocery stores easily accessible. Sometimes you have to just get what you can get.

Some WIC programs will also deliver food directly to recipients homes. I actually think this would benefit people more then EBT cards, I'm assuming if people aren't working or are considered working poor where they cannot afford groceries then spending money on gas and transportation to get to the store must be difficult, so why not move everyone to this type of program where they are getting healthy food delivered right to their door or can go to a more convenient central distribution center for it?? People who get WIC seem to do just fine with these programs.

"A few State agencies distribute the WIC foods through warehouses or deliver the foods to participants’ homes. Different food packages are provided for different categories of participants."

"WIC foods include infant cereal, iron-fortified adult cereal, vitamin C-rich fruit or vegetable juice, eggs, milk, cheese, peanut butter, dried and canned beans/peas, and canned fish. Soy-based beverages, tofu, fruits and vegetables, baby foods, whole-wheat bread, and other whole-grain options were recently added to better meet the nutritional needs of WIC participants."

Old 01-23-2019, 03:42 PM

16,072 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Quote:
For some people it's free money, for others it's money they've paid into for years, are probably still paying if they are some of the working poor that use the program as a temporary stop gap, like I had to.
Do you you think you should have the right to control every participant because some of them make bad choices?

Old 01-23-2019, 03:52 PM

50,783 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
Some WIC programs will also deliver food directly to recipients homes. I actually think this would benefit people more then EBT cards, I'm assuming if people aren't working or are considered working poor where they cannot afford groceries then spending money on gas and transportation to get to the store must be difficult, so why not move everyone to this type of program where they are getting healthy food delivered right to their door or can go to a more convenient central distribution center for it?? People who get WIC seem to do just fine with these programs.

"A few State agencies distribute the WIC foods through warehouses or deliver the foods to participants’ homes. Different food packages are provided for different categories of participants."

"WIC foods include infant cereal, iron-fortified adult cereal, vitamin C-rich fruit or vegetable juice, eggs, milk, cheese, peanut butter, dried and canned beans/peas, and canned fish. Soy-based beverages, tofu, fruits and vegetables, baby foods, whole-wheat bread, and other whole-grain options were recently added to better meet the nutritional needs of WIC participants."
I think delivery would be cost-prohibitive to everyone, especially when you get into poor rural areas, but that’s a good idea. Maybe they can even have warehouses with the food in areas people actually live in. Maybe they could provide jobs locally as well in the stores.

Old 01-23-2019, 06:03 PM

15,420 posts, read 9,075,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
because they spend it all at one time. Maybe buy so much that some goes bad and has to be thrown out.

Its like when I was in the military. People had a tendency to say "wait for payday". We made decent money - not hard to save. But for some, that paycheck hit and it was lets go shopping time.
Seriously do you have nothing better to do with your life, then worry about how often other people go shopping? I just don't get this authoritarian obsession with controlling other people's lives.

Old 01-23-2019, 06:23 PM

15,420 posts, read 9,075,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I think delivery would be cost-prohibitive to everyone, especially when you get into poor rural areas, but that’s a good idea. Maybe they can even have warehouses with the food in areas people actually live in. Maybe they could provide jobs locally as well in the stores.
Hey, I'm all for it. It would save me a 40 mile round trip to shop at any store that doesn't have convenience store prices. Bring my groceries to me. It sound great. I don't think it's ever going to happen, but it sounds great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events