Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2019, 09:52 AM

50,192 posts, read 35,879,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Yes, I know it's possible. I knew someone whose food budget for a while was $125.00 a month -- this was six years ago, though -- and although there wasn't a lot of variety, to say the least, at least he didn't starve. His diet consisted almost entirely of just cereal, bread, milk, eggs, bananas, frozen vegetables, inexpensive meats, and peanut butter -- and a LOT of Ramen noodles (four for a dollar back then) and the cheapest boxes of macaroni and cheese.
Well, he must not have been a smart shopper, because people on this thread could have that $125 and use it only for healthy items including lean cuts of meats and fresh vegetables. He must just be to lazy to cook��

Maybe he should have hung out with more experienced folks, who can take that same $125, make it last a month AND buy steak and lobster. Oh, and $4.00 Starbucks coffees.

Old 01-27-2019, 10:02 AM

42,748 posts, read 25,957,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Well, he must not have been a smart shopper, because people on this thread could have that $125 and use it only for healthy items including lean cuts of meats and fresh vegetables. He must just be to lazy to cook��

Maybe he should have hung out with more experienced folks, who can take that same $125, make it last a month AND buy steak and lobster. Oh, and $4.00 Starbucks coffees.
Not to mention, shame on him for not buying 40 pound bags of rice and beans even though he had nowhere to cook them. Or for failing to go to bars that serve peanuts to their customers and picking the discards up off the floor and making their own peanut butter. Or better yet, search dumpsters for sour milk and make your own buttermilk /sarc

Old 01-27-2019, 11:09 AM

19,531 posts, read 9,055,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post

Sorry, I ALMOST missed your sarcasm , but FWIW:

My husband and I average about $120.00 a WEEK for our low-carb diet (and this is only for food and not things like shampoo), which allows us almost everything but breads, most fruits, cereals, rice, and sweets of any kind (except VERY dark and low sugar chocolate, which isn't very sweet at all). If one divides the $120 a week in half, that would be a per person monthly budget of about $240.00 a month, which is quite a bit more than $125.00 a month, of course.

Btw, although being on this diet costs us about 60% more than our before-diet budget of about $75 a week, it is worth it because we have both lost weight, feel much better and more energetic, and my blood pressure has dropped from about 135/80 to about 115/70. It has been stated many, many times that one of the main reasons poor people are more obese (as a group), compared to those who are affluent, is because sweet, processed, high-carb and high-calorie foods cost a LOT less than low-carb foods, generally speaking. In fact, I think that it might be worth it in future health costs to offer coupons for "free" healthy food to the poor and people with SNAP benefits in addition to their regular allotment.

P.S. The reason our prior weekly grocery bill of about $75.00 a week was so low compared to many other people is because (1) we get all of our meats on sale, except for bacon, and then stock up (yes, we do have a freezer), and (2) because we cooked almost all our meals from scratch. As others have pointed out, many poor people are not able to do this because they don't have a stove and/or don't have a freezer or adequate storage space.

Old 01-27-2019, 11:20 AM

50,192 posts, read 35,879,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Sorry, I ALMOST missed your sarcasm , but FWIW:

My husband and I average about $120.00 a WEEK for our low-carb diet (and this is only for food and not things like shampoo), which allows us almost everything but breads, most fruits, cereals, rice, and sweets of any kind (except VERY dark and low sugar chocolate, which isn't very sweet at all). If one divides the $120 a week in half, that would be a per person monthly budget of about $240.00 a month, which is quite a bit more than $125.00 a month, of course.

Btw, although being on this diet costs us about 60% more than our before-diet budget of about $75 a week, it is worth it because we have both lost weight, feel MUCH better and more energetic, and my blood pressure has dropped from about 135/80 to about 115/70). It has been stated many, many times that one of the main reasons poor people are more obese (as a group), compared to those who are affluent, is because sweet, processed, high-carb and high-calorie foods cost a LOT less than low-carb foods, generally speaking. In fact, I think that it might be worth it in future health costs to offer coupons for "free" healthy food to the poor and people with SNAP benefits.

P.S. The reason our prior weekly grocery bill of about $75.00 a week was so low compared to many other people is because (1) we get all of our meats on sale, except for bacon, and then stock up (yes, we do have a freezer), and (2) because we cooked almost all our meals from scratch. As others have pointed out, many poor people are not able to do this because they don't have a stove and/or don't have a freezer or adequate storage space.
There are also consequences of that poor diet that we pay for on the back end. This is especially true for diabetics, who subsist on a low cost diet of white breads, pastas, etc. They often end up in nursing homes 20-30 years below average age of entry due to blindness and amputations. Rather than nutrition education and stipends for healthy foods, which people complain cost too much, we instead pay thousands per month for a decade or 2 for long term care. I think it makes more sense to provide enough money to eat better and to be able to get health care and medicines, and maybe avoid that nursing home for another ten years. It would cost far far less in the long run.

The average age in nursing homes in the wealthier areas I work is somewhere in the 80’s. In the two low income areas (both relatively rural, one very mixed and the other almost exclusively Caucasia Asian which I only mention to discredit false beliefs) the average age is closer to mid-60’s. That result is tens of millions of dollars to our country every year. I believe they call that being penny wise and pound foolish.

Old 01-27-2019, 02:06 PM

16,826 posts, read 15,040,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
OK, then please explain how you distinguish between the blue Florida EBT card and blue bank cards issued by Chase and Bank of America.
There are huge letters and a giant logo on it that say what it is. And no, you don't have to be staring at it to notice it.

Are you just arguing for the sake of it?

Old 01-27-2019, 03:48 PM

15,798 posts, read 21,318,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Because with the exception of certain perishables, there is absolutely no reason to do a major shopping trip once per week.

Loading up on staples and nonperishables once a month or so and then shopping for perishables as-needed seems like a pretty responsible way to shop to me.
It also anticipates the kind of storage space that many low income people simply don't have.

At my poorest, I had half a shelf in a shared, apartment size (read: tiny) refrigerator and about 1 square foot of cabinet space. I had to shop once, sometimes twice a week because I only had space to hold a few day's worth of food. At my next apartment, we didn't even have cabinets above the two tiny counters we had, but luckily were able to haul in a rickety old bookcase someone else was tossing that three roommates used to store their food.

One of the biggest money-saving things I've been able to do is stock up when things are on-sale. I am able to buy a huge package of chicken for under $1 a pound every blue moon, and I can repackage in single servings and use for the next few months. I have a 20 lb bag of rice in the cabinet that was cents on the dollar compared to a smaller container. I have enough spices that I never have to turn to a pre-made, more expensive spice blend. But all of that requires space, know-how, and money to afford the initial outlay.

Old 01-27-2019, 03:54 PM

26,516 posts, read 36,390,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
It also anticipates the kind of storage space that many low income people simply don't have.

That's true, but people were complaining about people who fill their carts at the first of the month. I'm guessing those who do so have adequate storage space for what they're buying.

Old 01-27-2019, 04:21 PM

42,748 posts, read 25,957,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
There are huge letters and a giant logo on it that say what it is. And no, you don't have to be staring at it to notice it.

I dunno...I know what a California EBT card looks like but I have never stood in line checking to see what kind of card a person uses to pay for their groceries, it just sounds a bit weird to be that obsessed with what other people are doing

Old 01-27-2019, 04:30 PM

26,156 posts, read 21,402,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post

I may catch it on a rare occasion but that vast majority of people checking out in front of me say 95%+ I couldn’t tell you what card they paid with unless it’s the platinum Amex

Old 01-27-2019, 04:31 PM

26,156 posts, read 21,402,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I dunno...I know what a California EBT card looks like but I have never stood in line checking to see what kind of card a person uses to pay for their groceries, it just sounds a bit weird to be that obsessed with what other people are doing
In reality it’s probably something that was seen once or twice and has now been grossly exaggerated
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events