Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 12:14 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,367,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I wish they would impose that everywhere, I don't see any reason for anyone to buy soda whether they are rich or poor.
Maybe because some people like the taste? Just sayin'.

Old 01-21-2019, 12:43 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,449,930 times
Federal contributes in part to state funds of the snap program. My state has Trimmed enormously the conditions and time line for remaining a participant.
When at my poorest...I was allotted 23$ to get me thru.
Sure I was grateful. That was once upon a time my taxed wage that came back during hard times....I paid in for 30 years... (something the arm chair judgemental person forgets!)
With 20% being contributed by fed...I'm sure it's a hit to the families.....to lose that little bit....

How audacious to come off with the I'll tell you how to buy food...since it's my .40 cents that helped pay for your benefit.
I bought ginger ale since it soothed my stomach stress...and I assure you ...any snarky comment was met with....where can I send your two cents to ?

Old 01-21-2019, 12:44 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,131,896 times
I am very disappointed to see all the judgement going on in this thread. It is not the duty or the right of cashiers to be passing judgement on what people buy. one thought is suppose your family was used to eating a certain way before you had need of SNAP, you kids ate much like their friends, so suddenly they are being given peanut butter and bread, cheese, eggs, beans and rice etc.
Most of them will not eat it and if they do will feel bad about themselves and be made fun of by friends.

Some of you sound like you will be happy when we have a government agent at each cash register, to approve or disapprove whatever you are trying to buy.

It is too bad that the SNAP program doesn't issue a card that cannot be identified as such, so cashier has no reason to judge the purchaser or their purchases.

Also any Corner stores or any store for that matter that facilitates cigarettes and beer purchase with food stamps which is illegal should be reported.

Old 01-21-2019, 12:50 PM

6,114 posts, read 4,606,165 times
Not technically SNAP, but it speaks to many of the issues in the post above. ^^^

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omID7kRLRw8

Old 01-21-2019, 12:52 PM

3,677 posts, read 2,560,123 times
Quote:
I wish they would impose that everywhere, I don't see any reason for anyone to buy soda whether they are rich or poor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
You may be buying things others don't agree with, though.

Like bottled water?
Quote:
I don't buy bottled water, but I understand the point you are making. My issue with soda is that it has zero nutritional value. Even diet soda is bad for your teeth and has a lot of salt. I don't want to turn this into an argument, and I respect differing opinions, I just think our diets would be better if we drank less soda and a soda tax has been proven to discourage consumption.
Again, you have to not look at it as so linear. Yes, soda has no nutritional value but when you are on a very very limited budget, a lot of times you don't think that way.

for example, I was in Shoprite yesterday. 2 regular 52 oz sizes of oj were on sale 2 for 5 bucks. Now if you have 3 kids and 1 adult that orange juice may last you two days. compare that to the same 5 bucks will get you 5-2 liter bottles of soda. if you are on food stamps, and chronically poor what choice do you think you are going to make.

So let me say, what I am trying to do is not make excuses but more so is to get you to ask yourself, "why do they make the choices they make"?

Now I love soda but when my kids were growing up it was a treat usually reserved for pizza night but again, I could do that because in the back of my mind I knew my kids were getting healthy stuff.

now again the problem I have with luxury taxes is that it usually affects the people who it's supposed to help. here in philly we are finding out consumption is not really going down but people of means like myself simply are not purchasing it in the city anymore. I work in delaware, I simply buy my groceries out of the city now.
So the people who are paying this tax are poor people because they have no options.

it's a vicious cycle.

Old 01-21-2019, 01:11 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
I don't qualify for SNAP or any other benefits, and I've noticed that the first part of the month is really busy in the local grocery store, so I just stay out of it then. Nonetheless, just because someone is loading up their cart doesn't mean they're spending unwisely. I don't make a habit of going through other people's carts to make sure I approve of what they're buying, but I can understand the value of being stocked up. Everyone wags their finger at SNAP recipients, but it seems to me that it would be far more wasteful to go to the store every couple of days than to get a cartful of stuff that's going to last for awhile.

Old 01-21-2019, 02:01 PM

16,554 posts, read 10,621,516 times
Why do SNAP benefits only come out once a month? Why can't the cards be reloaded every week? That way, people wouldn't have to face the "blowing the windfall" issue that, unfortunately, some tend to do.

Old 01-21-2019, 02:12 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Why do SNAP benefits only come out once a month? Why can't the cards be reloaded every week? That way, people wouldn't have to face the "blowing the windfall" issue that, unfortunately, some tend to do.
Because with the exception of certain perishables, there is absolutely no reason to do a major shopping trip once per week.

Loading up on staples and nonperishables once a month or so and then shopping for perishables as-needed seems like a pretty responsible way to shop to me.

Old 01-21-2019, 02:28 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
I am very disappointed to see all the judgement going on in this thread. It is not the duty or the right of cashiers to be passing judgement on what people buy. one thought is suppose your family was used to eating a certain way before you had need of SNAP, you kids ate much like their friends, so suddenly they are being given peanut butter and bread, cheese, eggs, beans and rice etc.
Most of them will not eat it and if they do will feel bad about themselves and be made fun of by friends.

Some of you sound like you will be happy when we have a government agent at each cash register, to approve or disapprove whatever you are trying to buy.
It's not always 'judgement' as such, but it IS tough to feed your family for a month on snap/ebt. Unfortunately a lot of people with (and without) benefits programs don't know how to shop or cook in order to make the limited amount of groceries last an entire month, but if that's all you have you NEED to make it last. What your kids think about what you're feeding them doesn't much matter when the alternative is to go hungry for a week or more.

Old 01-21-2019, 02:47 PM

19,803 posts, read 9,353,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post

It is too bad that the SNAP program doesn't issue a card that cannot be identified as such, so cashier has no reason to judge the purchaser or their purchases.

Also any Corner stores or any store for that matter that facilitates cigarettes and beer purchase with food stamps which is illegal should be reported.
Oh, for goodness sake. People have the right to make observations and form opinions. Are you really so self-righteous that you have never formed a negative opinion of someone's decisions?

If you are, then maybe you can take pleasure in that, in being so much better than the majority of humans. But, then, that is what you are complaining about, isn't it?

And, btw, I do NOT approve of "shaming" anyone and making them feel bad by words or actions. What I am talking about is silently forming judgments/opinions -- and, btw, I have been recognized many, many times for being polite and friendly to everyone.

Oh, and also btw, good parents do not raise their kids according to what other kids think when it comes to their health and well-being; and I think that most kids will eat healthy stuff if it is a choice of doing that or going hungry. But, oh, no -- there I go being all judgmental and forming opinions again.

Last edited by katharsis; 01-21-2019 at 02:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events