Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 08:56 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,540,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Right, weight is not a protected class, but there are many who want it to be and think it should fall under the umbrella of "disability".
In nearly all cases, being a fatass is a choice, so is being a pervert. Gimme a break, protected class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2019, 11:08 PM

30,286 posts, read 51,804,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Right, weight is not a protected class, but there are many who want it to be and think it should fall under the umbrella of "disability".
Irrelevant. You said he would sue under the guise of discrimination, which isn’t possible unless the discrimination was of a protected class. Being severely overweight might lead to secondary disabilities, or vice versa (being disabled CAN cause one to gain weight) - but that’s different from what you were implying.

Old 01-29-2019, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
In nearly all cases, being a fatass is a choice, so is being a pervert. Gimme a break, protected class.
Not being a jerk is also a choice, which you might want to start exercising.

But as I said, weight is NOT a protected class... so what’s your point? Just flexing your bully muscles?

Old 01-30-2019, 08:53 AM

11,195 posts, read 9,029,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
I'm still waiting for the part where these women were "forced" to do anything.

After all, the passenger couldn't even wipe his own asinine, so what the hell was he going to do if they refused.

Yeesh.
He probably would have gone back with feces running down his legs to his seat. It would have caused a bigger issue.

Old 01-30-2019, 09:54 AM

2,660 posts, read 1,540,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Not being a jerk is also a choice, which you might want to start exercising.

But as I said, weight is NOT a protected class... so what’s your point? Just flexing your bully muscles?
I'm not being a bully, morbid obesity is extremly unhealthy, it's one of the most common preventable causes of death and a miserable way to live in general. It's a choice not a handicap. I view morbid obesity the same as extreme drug or alcohol adiction, these people should get help not protection as a class or emotional enabling.

Old 01-30-2019, 09:58 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,916,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
He probably would have gone back with feces running down his legs to his seat. It would have caused a bigger issue.
Yes, and I think it's a form of coercion. As people have already explained, part of it is a cultural thing, he knew they'd be more likely to give in to his demands. The FAs wanted to avoid further incidents that could spread to pissing off other passengers, so they feel forced to do what he wants, or risk a worse overall situation (him smelling and angering other passengers back in his seat, him not leaving the bathroom because he doesn't have help and the plane being down one bathroom which would anger and annoy other passengers). It's disingenuous to act like it's soooo obvious that they did not HAVE to do this, why are we saying "forced"? When someone is actually in that position, it is a lot more coercive than it seems.

Plus, the airline may say one thing but actually do another. The airline claimed its FAs do not have to give in to any customer demand, but in practice, is this actually true, or is it just a nice PR stance? Have FAs been fired or disciplined in the past for not giving into some ridiculous, demeaning customer demands? They may have been in fear of losing their jobs if they did not do what he asked.

Old 01-30-2019, 11:30 AM

11,195 posts, read 9,029,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Yes, and I think it's a form of coercion. As people have already explained, part of it is a cultural thing, he knew they'd be more likely to give in to his demands. The FAs wanted to avoid further incidents that could spread to pissing off other passengers, so they feel forced to do what he wants, or risk a worse overall situation (him smelling and angering other passengers back in his seat, him not leaving the bathroom because he doesn't have help and the plane being down one bathroom which would anger and annoy other passengers). It's disingenuous to act like it's soooo obvious that they did not HAVE to do this, why are we saying "forced"? When someone is actually in that position, it is a lot more coercive than it seems.

Plus, the airline may say one thing but actually do another. The airline claimed its FAs do not have to give in to any customer demand, but in practice, is this actually true, or is it just a nice PR stance? Have FAs been fired or disciplined in the past for not giving into some ridiculous, demeaning customer demands? They may have been in fear of losing their jobs if they did not do what he asked.
This guy walking with feces down his leg would have contaminated the entire plane. It's bio-hazard. It would have been a lawsuit in the skies.

Old 01-30-2019, 03:41 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,660,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
This guy walking with feces down his leg would have contaminated the entire plane. It's bio-hazard. It would have been a lawsuit in the skies.
Yes, anyone minimizing the pressures felt by service employees living paycheck to paycheck to do any and all that customers demand has had the good fortune to live in a protected bubble. This is a line that no one in their right mind would expect a flight attendant to cross, but the pressure would be there nonetheless.

Counting on people to be in their right mind is something that will disappoint half the time.

Old 01-30-2019, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
I'm not being a bully, morbid obesity is extremly unhealthy, it's one of the most common preventable causes of death and a miserable way to live in general. It's a choice not a handicap. I view morbid obesity the same as extreme drug or alcohol adiction, these people should get help not protection as a class or emotional enabling.
You referred to them as "fatasses." If that isn't bullying, I'd like to know your definition.

Even if someone does consciously choose to be unhealthy, it still isn't right to call them names, berate, or mistreat them. Maybe that's how you were raised, but I was taught to be generally respectful and considerate of other people - unless/until they give you a good reason not to be. And being a protected class only means you can't be overtly discriminated against (like an employer not hiring you for that reason alone), which applies to other choices like religious practices. Do you support that?

Finally, "choice" is a very loose term. It's your choice to put food in your mouth, but doctors who treat obesity don't just say STOP EATING. They address the issue from many angles, including all psychological and physiological factors that might be contributing. Trust me; as someone who has been on the weight loss journey (lost 60 lbs), it is much more complicated than simply not eating as much. I had to fix what was causing my problems from the inside first, and the rest just fell into place after that. Also, some folks are genetically predisposed to weight problems - which doesn't mean it's impossible, just that we have to work much harder than people who don't have that predisposition.

Old 01-30-2019, 05:26 PM

26,548 posts, read 36,452,887 times
This guy would be a creepy sick perv no matter if he was skinny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events