Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 06:13 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,952,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
I also must admit I cynically thought something more was to this relationship between her and the teen when I first heard the story. Sucks to have become so jaded because of the multiple stories about improper relationships between school personnel and students.
Can we be certain there isn't?

One of her justifications for committing insurance fraud was that she didn't want the boy to go to a foster home. That's not her determination to make -- he may well be better off in a foster home.

But she wouldn't have access to him there.

Even if it's something as innocent as her relationship with her own son having broken down, so she hopes to feel needed by "helping" this boy, it's still wrong and inappropriate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2019, 06:35 AM

2,306 posts, read 1,702,590 times
I think her heart was in the right place, but her judgement is off. For the life of me I can't understand why she just didn't go with the parents (and the boy) to an Urgent Care clinic. Sure, they are expensive (I've been to them and they cost about $100 just for a visit. Not sure how much a strep test would have been). But like others said, as a superintendent, she should be making a decent salary to afford about about a $150 urgent care visit and may (tops) $50 for the antibiotics. Then the parents would have been there to consent and no fraud would have taken place.

Old 01-25-2019, 07:24 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,274,049 times
typical example of no good deed goes undone.
She was just trying to help the boy get antibiotics which he needed....THEN...not later.
For THAT she will be punished.

Old 01-25-2019, 08:19 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,130,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMBGBlueCanary View Post
I think her heart was in the right place, but her judgement is off. For the life of me I can't understand why she just didn't go with the parents (and the boy) to an Urgent Care clinic. Sure, they are expensive (I've been to them and they cost about $100 just for a visit. Not sure how much a strep test would have been). But like others said, as a superintendent, she should be making a decent salary to afford about about a $150 urgent care visit and may (tops) $50 for the antibiotics. Then the parents would have been there to consent and no fraud would have taken place.
A few years ago my uninsured/unemployed daughter went to a clinic for strep and I believe the bill was around $400 when all was said and done. I'll add that they refused to treat her at that clinic again until that bill was paid in full.

Old 01-25-2019, 09:55 AM

48 posts, read 29,341 times
Well, what about those instances where some kid suffers an asthma attack, another kid gives them their inhaler to use which saves their life, and then the kid gets expelled/suspended for administering/providing medication?

What is good for the goose is good for the gander.

Superintendents and schools boards work together to come up with codes/standards of conduct for parents and students to follow. Oftentimes, their interpretation of these codes/standards is black and white, and there is no application of common sense and pragmatism. Superintendents should abide by these same codes/standards to the same black and white interpretation.

So, if this superintendent violated a code/standard of conduct, she should suffer the consequences. It does not matter if her heart was in the right place.

Old 01-25-2019, 10:26 AM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Find a way that doesn't require committing a crime.
And it was so easy. Pay the bill out of pocket.

Old 01-25-2019, 11:09 AM

2,306 posts, read 1,702,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
A few years ago my uninsured/unemployed daughter went to a clinic for strep and I believe the bill was around $400 when all was said and done. I'll add that they refused to treat her at that clinic again until that bill was paid in full.

That's a lot more than I would have guessed. I suppose that would be the equivalent today as well (or close to it). Average salary for a school superintendent is $110k, I would think that would be enough to pay a $400 bill or at least put it on a credit card. But then again, I don't know her actual salary (could be a lot less) or her financial situation.

In any case, at least this has a happy ending of sorts. The kid got the treatment he needed and the woman who helped him, while charged with fraud, isn't facing a harsh sentence. She just has to not get arrested in the next year. Since she's gone most of her life without being arrested, it should be an easy thing for her to do I would hope. Again, I think she meant well, but the but she should have used a more honest means to get to the ends.

Old 01-25-2019, 11:18 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 3 days ago)

35,609 posts, read 17,940,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
If she felt like playing hero she should have just paid the doctor visit herself. Antibiotics are often free at some pharmacies.
Here's the problem with that - and my guess is, she'd have just taken him to a minute clinic and be done with it EXCEPT he's a minor and she doesn't have authority to seek treatment for him.

To get him treated, she'd have had to make his parent or guardian take him to the clinic, which may have been very hard to do.

I say make her pay back the insurance company, and open a neglect case against the guardian.

Old 01-25-2019, 11:22 AM

10,226 posts, read 6,312,506 times
When my husband was out of work, had no insurance, and needed medical treatment, my daughter tried to put her FATHER on her insurance, and they would not let her do it for any sum of money.

This was between blood relatives. Try that one.

Old 01-25-2019, 12:22 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 3 days ago)

35,609 posts, read 17,940,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
When my husband was out of work, had no insurance, and needed medical treatment, my daughter tried to put her FATHER on her insurance, and they would not let her do it for any sum of money.

This was between blood relatives. Try that one.
He's not a dependent.

She could have given him money to pay for his insurance, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events