Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2019, 03:14 AM

8,299 posts, read 3,811,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadLessTraveled2015 View Post
https://news.yahoo.com/school-superi...061123606.html
and
https://fox59.com/2019/01/23/court-d...her-insurance/

She was charged with insurance fraud. Not sure how I feel about this. She was trying to help a student who clearly needed help.
What do you mean you're not sure how you feel about this? About the teacher trying to help the student? Or about the teacher committing insurance fraud? There's nothing wrong with the teacher paying for the student's medical needs. But tricking the insurance company to pay for it when it's not supposed to is a crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2019, 07:05 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,960,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
What do you mean you're not sure how you feel about this? About the teacher trying to help the student? Or about the teacher committing insurance fraud? There's nothing wrong with the teacher paying for the student's medical needs.
Actually, there is.

Do you have a child? Would it be OK if I decided of my own volition to take your child for medical treatment — or for any reason — without telling you?

Old 01-26-2019, 07:10 AM

2,020 posts, read 1,123,947 times
Funny how the family is stepping up now when they basically ignored this kid. He lived with his grandmother. I guess now there is money involved via a lawsuit.

She was dead wrong, but I don't believe she is an evil person up to no good. The woman turned herself in prior to any one even knowing about the event. I guess she got nervous when the kid blabbed about it. The school district is standing behind her because they say she has helped a lot of kids/families in the past. She is going through a diversion program to avoid prosecution.

On another note, the prescription she paid for (using the insurance) cost a whopping $233! Unbelievable.

Old 01-26-2019, 07:13 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,306,076 times
This superintendent has shown me that she has poor judgment. If there was a medical emergency an ambulance should have been called to transport the child to a hospital emergency room where they would have been required to treat him. If it was not a medical emergency, the parents should have been contacted and told the child should be taken to the doctor for a possible strep infection.

I have to wonder about her judgment in other situations.

I also have to ask the question how a school superintendent gets to know a young child this closely. I would assume the work of a school superintendent primarily involves talking to school principals, teachers, administrators, and clerical support staff for the district. I'm surprised superintendents interact on any significant level with individual elementary school students.

The crime in this situation doesn't overwhelm me, but her overall lack of judgment needs to be seriously scrutinized.

Old 01-26-2019, 07:16 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,629 posts, read 17,961,729 times
There's a lot going on here. She had previously given him clothing, and even cleaned his house. She was afraid to report neglect because he'd be likely placed in foster care.

I'm curious how the child feels about the nature of their relationship.

Anna - the Rx didn't cost $233. That was the total cost - the doctor visit, lab work, and the Rx.

I know school employees who, when they learn a child has a terrible home, have found them very cheap garage apartments, and paid for them, or in a couple cases where the employee/administrator/teacher even takes them into their own family home.

I'm not convinced there's more to this story than a very caring but misguided administrator.

Old 01-26-2019, 07:20 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,960,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Yes, but knowing the school district has a clinic, it makes sense that she would take him there first. And it also makes sense thst a Yahoo article wouldn't name the specific clinic, and instead just say that she took him to "a clinic".

Yahoo isn't known for the depth of its reporting, I agree. So I went to the source: The hometown newspaper.

https://www.heraldbulletin.com/news/...bd5c714ff.html

Quote:
Smitherman took the student to a Madison County health clinic, but because he’s younger than 18 and she is not the guardian, they would not see him, she said.

Smitherman then took the student to St. Vincent Immediate Care, 7408 W. Ind. 28, Elwood, where she signed the student in under her son’s name.

Old 01-26-2019, 07:24 AM

2,020 posts, read 1,123,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I know school employees who, when they learn a child has a terrible home, have found them very cheap garage apartments, and paid for them, or in a couple cases where the employee/administrator/teacher even takes them into their own family home.
I did a lot of volunteer work at a school and I can vouch for what you say. There are some kids who are so neglected that you do the best you can to help them out. It is heartbreaking.

Old 01-26-2019, 07:29 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Yahoo isn't known for the depth of its reporting, I agree. So I went to the source: The hometown newspaper.

https://www.heraldbulletin.com/news/...bd5c714ff.html
Thank you for posting that. That's what I've been saying all along - she couldn't have gotten him seen by a doc and paid for it out of pocket - she's not his guardian.

It doesn't seem anyone - her peers, the community, the court - think she had any kind of inappropriate relationship with him except this case of insurance fraud and overstepping.

Old 01-26-2019, 07:34 AM

So I googled the school clinic mentioned earlier in this thread. This was really a missed opportunity on her part.

The child can be seen by a nurse, and a doctor is teleconferenced in, from the school campus.

The first ailment listed, as appropriate to treat, is strep throat.

They'll bill insurance, or in cases of inability to pay, a sliding scale fee will be assessed, which I'm guessing she could have paid out of pocket if desired.

It appears the guardian does have to be notified, but it seems likely they would have approved.

http://www.elwood.k12.in.us/popular/...nic-flier/file

Old 01-26-2019, 07:50 AM

1,397 posts, read 1,146,189 times
I still say the superintendent was wrong for what she did. There is a reason why we have rules and protocols and she clearly crossed a line. As a teacher I have dealt with many sad situations over the years and there are always ways to get a student proper help without breaking the law. Buying that student clothes and cleaning his house are two added pieces of information that make me still think this relationship was not normal. I will say it again, if this was a male superintendent who bought a teen girl clothing and cleaned her house and then claimed her as his daughter for medical care, the response would be way different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events