Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 11:50 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,777,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
Yeah, I'm pretty sure they all know each other up there.
I have long had family in the area, and yes, they pretty much DO "all know each other up there".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2019, 11:58 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
I have long had family in the area, and yes, they pretty much DO "all know each other up there".
Truth. I was actually being sort of facetious with that comment to Erik, but Alaska is a big state that's like a small town.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 01-29-2019 at 12:33 AM..

Old 01-29-2019, 05:56 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,392,751 times
alaska doesnt play. I know an alabama man that shot a bear from a boat, they came and got his butt, he lost his license for life and had to pay dearly in cash

Old 01-29-2019, 06:03 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,335,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Only wishing they could be visited with the same treatment and pain they caused the bear family.
Wild creatures don't have "families", and it is this Disneyesque over-sentimentalization which causes a lot of us who farm or work in other affected sectors of the economy, to lose respect for the so-called "animal rights" movement.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 01-29-2019 at 06:25 PM..

Old 01-29-2019, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
alaska doesnt play. I know an alabama man that shot a bear from a boat, they came and got his butt, he lost his license for life and had to pay dearly in cash
Alaska plays. Ask Ted Nugent, who got nothing but a slap on the wrist for bear-baiting.

Old 01-29-2019, 06:10 PM

2,264 posts, read 1,484,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Alaska plays. Ask Ted Nugent, who got nothing but a slap on the wrist for bear-baiting.
I thought that was in California?

Oh, wait -- that was an entirely separate Nugent-poaching event!

https://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs...ons-california

Old 01-29-2019, 06:12 PM

45,380 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
It was my understanding that bear baiting, within some limits to area and permitting, was legal.

Old 01-29-2019, 06:12 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,629 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Wild creatures don't have "families", and it is this Disneyesque over-sentimentalization which causes a lot of us who farm or work in other affected sectors of the econmy, to lose respect for the so-called "animal rights" movement.
Yes, they do. You sound like someone who says "cats don't feel pain".

You've desensitized yourself to this fact, because you are in a job where you separate animal families and kill them. (Which, I get it, we are carnivores, and want to eat meat.)

But you need to realize that humans aren't the only social animals, that animals of other species besides human grieve and feel horrific pain. Which is hard to do if you're in an industry that pretends that's not true, so we can all sleep at night.

I think this will be the next generation's "WHAT"? moment.

Just like we've been astonished at the past horrors of slavery, child labor, child abuse, civil rights violations, abuse of homosexuals, the next generation will be in shock that we pretended animals aren't sentient, and don't suffer, and don't feel affection and love and bonding.

In this era of so many cameras, so much sharing, you can't ignore that even cross-species, there are animals who risk their lives to save animals of another species, animals who beg humans for help saving their off spring, animals who work out ways to save or feed each other although they are not related.

Old 01-29-2019, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
I thought that was in California?

Oh, wait -- that was an entirely separate Nugent-poaching event!

https://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs...ons-california
Right. There have been several.

Old 01-29-2019, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
It was my understanding that bear baiting, within some limits to area and permitting, was legal.
Bear Baiting: Rules & Requirements - Hunter Education, Alaska Department of Fish and Game

Quote:
Bear baiting regulations can be complex and may change from year to year.
It's also specific to individual F&G districts.

But I misspoke in a prior post — he wasn't convicted of bear baiting. Guess I got mixed up with some of his other hunting violations. He reached a plea deal and I can't recall the original charges, but there was a lot of local talk about the guide who took him out doing illegal bear-baiting. I think it's legal in that particular district, or it was, back then, but there's a few hoops to jump through — can't just go set up a bear stand.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 01-29-2019 at 06:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events