Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 07:13 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,751,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Oh, but he's an army veteran, and that makes him deserving of special consideration. Army veterans are not like the rest of us, subject to the ordinary rules and limitations of conduct, and enjoy special privileges. Like, they get to sing the national anthem before ball games.
Says the ex-pat, bravely.

The only bearing his veteran status has on the issue is that he's trained and conditioned to deal with conflict and physical confrontation... and it must have been that much harder for him to resist doing something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2019, 07:40 PM

265 posts, read 258,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Says the ex-pat, bravely.
+1 Not the one I want covering my back.

Old 01-29-2019, 07:51 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,814,475 times
Quote:
Oh, but he's an army veteran, and that makes him deserving of special consideration. Army veterans are not like the rest of us, subject to the ordinary rules and limitations of conduct, and enjoy special privileges. Like, they get to sing the national anthem before ball games.

Your disdain for veterans comes through, loud and clear.

We get the picture.

Old 01-30-2019, 10:09 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times
Quote:
No, not deserving of special considerations, but a vet would know how to do something like this without getting hurt too.

Old 01-30-2019, 12:57 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,425,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
While the guard may have had good intentions, his actions clearly went against policy. As we have seen the past years, corporations do not look kindly upon employees acting like heroes, and their reasoning is perfectly understandable. At least the guy realizes what he did and doesn't blame Best Buy for being let go, unlike what others might have done (trying to 'shame' a company for being let go).

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/army...224439982.html
They reversed their decision but I have to wonder why they have a security guard if he can’t do anything? I understand not allowing cashiers and other employees, but what good is he if he can’t do his job?

Old 01-30-2019, 01:08 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
They reversed their decision but I have to wonder why they have a security guard if he can’t do anything? I understand not allowing cashiers and other employees, but what good is he if he can’t do his job?
I wonder this too. What then is the point of a security guard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
How unusual.
LOL. And agree that him being a vet, would be that much harder to stand by and do nothing.

Old 01-30-2019, 01:22 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,751,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
No, not deserving of special considerations, but a vet would know how to do something like this without getting hurt too.
Well, maybe. Basic doesn't make you bulletproof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I wonder this too. What then is the point of a security guard?
There's a difference between being a visible symbol of security, acting to stop an active threat to staff and customers on the premises, (to a lesser degree) acting to stop property damage and loss on the premises... and chasing someone who is fleeing and thus no longer a threat.

And if I read the original story right (noting it's in my old home town)... this was a completely unrelated public incident that at most occurred in the store's parking lot. None of the guard's business while standing there in store employ, and a huge potential liability - just suppose the perp was innocent or the wrong guy, and the guard seriously injured him while "helping"?

I don't like any of this and I'm glad the store reconsidered. But this is not the flagrant pro-crime, anti-intervention, namby-pamby-lib'ral etc. case it's made out to be by some.

Old 01-30-2019, 02:18 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,193,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
People are so out of touch.
Yes. Time to leave house and the computer and venture outside.

Old 01-30-2019, 04:15 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,815,964 times
Maybe the police department he helped should hire him.

Old 01-31-2019, 08:01 AM

5,716 posts, read 4,682,005 times
As an Army Veteran with 20+ years of service, I personally can't understand what his status has to do with any of this.

We aren't trained to chase bad guys in a combat situation. You shoot them. But the whole issue I have with this story is that the guy was given specific instructions on how to perform his duty. Period. He didn't follow his orders and, as such, would be worthless to me as a Soldier.

Every Soldier knows, or should know, their 3 General Orders. This dude forgot all 3.

1. I will guard everything within the limits of my post and quit my post only when properly relieved.

2. I will obey my special orders and perform all of my duties in a military manner.

3. I will report violations of my special orders, emergencies, and anything not covered in my instructions to the commander of the relief.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events