Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2019, 12:04 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,555,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I am 6'4" and weigh 235lbs and I fit just fine. Legroom is usually my issue.
Yeah, this couple was probably 350 each and 6" shorter, the fact this lady was able to fit between them at all tells us the problem isn't the seats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2019, 12:09 PM

8,052 posts, read 12,772,027 times
I always buy a first class ticket because of my height. I wish I could fit in economy but there isn't enough legroom for me.

I see no reason why someone who is morbidly obese should expect a fellow passenger to give up space they paid for. They have templates to see if your carry-on is within the size limit; they ought to do that with passengers too.

Old 01-31-2019, 12:15 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,472,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I did and it looked like aisle passenger had his armrest down.
Who cares? An armrest doesn't prevent the massive shoulders from encroaching another passenger's space.

Is there really doubt in anyone's mind that this woman was crowded beyond reason by those two? Even they didn't sit next to each other.

Old 01-31-2019, 12:20 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,984,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llowllevellowll View Post
I couldn't care less about this thread. I'm just here for the arguments, but this made me laugh. Since when is 6'0'' and 215 too large to fit in an airline seat?
Actually, since forever. The standard Economy class seat was designed to fit a male who is 5'9" and 140 lbs.

Old 01-31-2019, 12:21 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,428,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
The problem isn't their size, that's their business.
The problem is they selected 2 seats with a seat in the middle to give themselves more room, with absolutly no regard or concern for the person who bought the seat in the middle of them. This purchase showed exactly the character this couple has, and I honestly don't blame the woman for being so rude.
To make this debate about fat-shaming is completely missing the point and deflecting the real issue of how unbelievably RUDE this couple was.
Wait a minute, based on I assume color and size you are assuming the two in the window and isle were together? I saw no report they were together nor does it show this on her facebook page. The man wasn't rude.

Old 01-31-2019, 12:22 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,555,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Actually, since forever. The standard Economy class seat was designed to fit a male who is 5'9" and 140 lbs.
Nobody buys your argument that seats are unreasonably small, why do you keep bringing it? It's not like we don't have experience to judge for ourselves whether they are big enough for the avg passenger.

Old 01-31-2019, 12:23 PM

17,155 posts, read 15,373,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
Wait a minute, based on I assume color and size you are assuming the two in the window and isle were together? I saw no report they were together nor does it show this on her facebook page. The man wasn't rude.
There was a picture floating around somewhere showing the two of them together.

Page 4 in this thread.

Old 01-31-2019, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Who cares? An armrest doesn't prevent the massive shoulders from encroaching another passenger's space.
The airline doesn't care about that. If you have a waist that fits between the armrests, that counts as fitting the seat, even if you have 30" wide shoulders.

Old 01-31-2019, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
Nobody buys your argument that seats are unreasonably small, why do you keep bringing it? It's not like we don't have experience to judge for ourselves whether they are big enough for the avg passenger.
Actually, a lot of people in this thread have said they feel the seats are too small. They just don't want to pay the increased ticket price that would be needed to increase the width of the seats in Economy class. Which is fine by me! If they want to take the chance of being very, VERY cozy with the stranger seated next to them, let them. That's the chance they took when they decided to fly Economy, and accordingly I don't feel a bit sorry for them. (And no, the airline isn't going to do anything about it t fix the situation. Why should they? It will cost them money, and their margins are tight enough as it is.)

Old 01-31-2019, 12:32 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,213,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post

Is there really doubt in anyone's mind that this woman was crowded beyond reason by those two? Even they didn't sit next to each other.

Would be nice if there were solid privacy barriers that could be raised from seat cushion to top of seatback. Then these big guys who claim they fit can find out if they actually do when they are physically unable to extend beyond their space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events