Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2019, 12:38 PM

13,714 posts, read 12,427,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Who cares? An armrest doesn't prevent the massive shoulders from encroaching another passenger's space.

Is there really doubt in anyone's mind that this woman was crowded beyond reason by those two? Even they didn't sit next to each other.
The armwrest and the seatbelt are the two measures used by most other airlines (United has a more ambiguous policy.) Again, it comes down to a disagreement over what one is entitled to in terms of space and comfort on an economy airline seat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2019, 12:53 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,429,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Actually, a lot of people in this thread have said they feel the seats are too small. They just don't want to pay the increased ticket price that would be needed to increase the width of the seats in Economy class. Which is fine by me! If they want to take the chance of being very, VERY cozy with the stranger seated next to them, let them. That's the chance they took when they decided to fly Economy, and accordingly I don't feel a bit sorry for them. (And no, the airline isn't going to do anything about it t fix the situation. Why should they? It will cost them money, and their margins are tight enough as it is.)
Economy class in different airplanes differ. In some I am perfectly comfortable in others even skinny people are uncomfortable due to not the size of the seat but the closeness to the back of the other seat especially when the rude person in the seat in front lowers their seat back all the way. By the way, the increased price on a so called "larger" economy class ticket is not seat width it is leg room on most airlines. Jet Blue I see does have larger seats and Delta is introducing wider seats on some planes but this isn't all planes so it is not always possible without either paying for Business class if available or paying for First class.

Sit next to a man who works out and has a large chest/shoulder size can be just as uncomfortable as sitting next to a person of size especially when he does the damn man spread. Just be kind people because some day it all comes back on you.

Old 01-31-2019, 12:53 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,984,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccernerd View Post
Are they really that common though? Links?

I haven’t witnessed someone be so big that they were spilling into another seat in probably 2 years, and I haven’t had to sit next to someone who was spilling into my seat in probably 10. I fly about 12 economy segments a year.
I'm looking for something more current that gives actual hard data, but according to this article from back in 2009, 9 out of 10 complaints Southwest received were about passengers being seated next to a "customer of size." https://www.news.com.au/travel/obesi...4a3c40c38580c1 I can't imagine hat the problem has decreased over the last 10 years.

This CNN article has a nice graphic at the top which shows how Economy class seat size has changed over the years, as well as what the average female and male passenger weighed during that time period: https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/f...eat/index.html

Old 01-31-2019, 12:55 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,429,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
There was a picture floating around somewhere showing the two of them together.

Page 4 in this thread.
Thanks, I didn't see that either on her twitter or facebook page.

Old 01-31-2019, 12:59 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,092,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Actually, a lot of people in this thread have said they feel the seats are too small. They just don't want to pay the increased ticket price that would be needed to increase the width of the seats in Economy class. Which is fine by me! If they want to take the chance of being very, VERY cozy with the stranger seated next to them, let them. That's the chance they took when they decided to fly Economy, and accordingly I don't feel a bit sorry for them. (And no, the airline isn't going to do anything about it t fix the situation. Why should they? It will cost them money, and their margins are tight enough as it is.)
Sure, they're too small, but someone like you seems to be the type of person that will incessantly complain and write letters and some of us are simply replying to you: generally, it's not that big of a deal. change your perspective in life. you probably find that you're usually unhappy with a lot of situations and by letting go, your whole life will become easier.

Old 01-31-2019, 01:02 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,378,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
Wait a minute, based on I assume color and size you are assuming the two in the window and isle were together? I saw no report they were together nor does it show this on her facebook page. The man wasn't rude.
It seems they were together, a couple. That's what I've read everywhere.

Old 01-31-2019, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
Economy class in different airplanes differ. In some I am perfectly comfortable in others even skinny people are uncomfortable due to not the size of the seat but the closeness to the back of the other seat especially when the rude person in the seat in front lowers their seat back all the way. By the way, the increased price on a so called "larger" economy class ticket is not seat width it is leg room on most airlines. Jet Blue I see does have larger seats and Delta is introducing wider seats on some planes but this isn't all planes so it is not always possible without either paying for Business class if available or paying for First class.
Yes. JetBlue has some of the widest Economy class seats. Southwest has some of the smallest. So do the smallest regional jets (which also don't offer a true First class section). So a person may fit in the Economy seat on one airline and not fit on another.

One of the most frustrating things is that Boeing deliberately designed its new 787 Dreamliner to accommodate wider Economy seats, fitted out in a 9-across configuration. But many airlines ordering the plane have ordered it to be fitted out with 10-across seating, necessitating narrower-than-average Economy seats - in a plane specifically designed for trans-Atlantic and trans-Pacific long-haul service! https://runwaygirlnetwork.com/2017/1...rowest-of-all/ https://www.airlinereporter.com/2016...st-in-economy/

All Economy class is not the same! If you'er going to fly Economy class, do your research first and you may end up with a significantly more comfortable experience.

Old 01-31-2019, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llowllevellowll View Post
Sure, they're too small, but someone like you seems to be the type of person that will incessantly complain and write letters and some of us are simply replying to you: generally, it's not that big of a deal. change your perspective in life. you probably find that you're usually unhappy with a lot of situations and by letting go, your whole life will become easier.
I don't complain. I fly First class. Why should the mooing of the cattle in the back bother me? Back when I first started flying, an Economy class ticket cost what a First class ticket costs today, and most of the whiners back in steerage simply wouldn't have been on the plane at all.

Old 01-31-2019, 01:12 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,555,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llowllevellowll View Post
Maybe he's morbidly obese and it's an actual problem rather than a comfort complaint? Or maybe he's expecting first class comfort for economy class prices?
The fact is for your typical length flight, most people are fine with today's seats. It's not about maximum comfort, it's about being adequate to get you where you're going without feeling all tied up in knots.

Old 01-31-2019, 01:26 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,330,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
The armwrest and the seatbelt are the two measures used by most other airlines (United has a more ambiguous policy.) Again, it comes down to a disagreement over what one is entitled to in terms of space and comfort on an economy airline seat.
I've had people in my row on a plane (I always fly economy), sometimes next to me, that had to ask the flight attendant for a "seatbelt extender" because they couldn't buckle the normal seatbelt provided!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events