Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2019, 06:21 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times

Advertisements

Southwest does suggest options for "people of SIZE":
https://www.southwest.com/html/custo...R-CUSTOMER-COS

The standard rule applies. In coach, you own from the center of the armrests upwards in a plumb line.

I have spent many a flight - even with "normal" sized people - keeping my arms tightly held or laid in one direction. I think the key is to keep your unassigned coach flying to short flights.

These days they are flying small planes even coast to coast. A decade or two ago this was not the case - almost always had wide-body aircraft on long flights.

Airlines need to change based on the flying public. If the seats cost $10 more...well, we all use more gasoline also due to the weight (total) of our cars and the people in them. It costs more to take up more space.....any way you look at it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2019, 06:38 AM

37,593 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Yes, they were both rude. And the other passengers didn't offer to change places with the woman, so they should've just shut up. Most news outlets seem to have gotten it wrong, too, because it wasn't the whiner who was loud, foul-mouthed, ranting, having a meltdown, or any of the other words or expressions used for attention-grabbing headlines. It was the "award-winning nurse."

The most interesting thing here? The two obese passengers are partners, who are so fat THEY can't sit next to each other. Yet, it's perfectly acceptable to squeeze an unsuspecting passenger between them on a four-hour flight. Yeah, that's why she wasn't "booted" from the plane, but was accommodated with another United flight early the next morning--and why the obese woman's "complaint" went nowhere.

This is air travel today. Everyone else's issues have to be accommodated. It's United that needs more than their wimpy "obesity policy," which does nothing to address the comfort of passengers in their "friendly skies."

And they shouldn't try to squeeze passenger between two others who are already encroaching on the middle seat.

How do we know that they were traveling together? If they were and purposefully took those two seats, then they are worse than the woman that was squished between then. It should have been one of THEM that was kicked off the plane.

Ah...I found it. So these are the two, and yep they booked seats to allow them extra space. I can't even believe that they did that. How dare the nurse call the woman rude. They should have been placed in aisle seats - in different rows. I fault the airline as well. There’s no way they could expect someone to sit between those two people.
Attached Thumbnails
United Passenger Carps About Being Seated Between "Two Big Pigs"-capture.jpg  

Last edited by ChessieMom; 01-30-2019 at 07:11 AM..

Old 01-30-2019, 06:47 AM

4,991 posts, read 5,282,508 times
Originally, I thought the blonde woman was rude, but then I was reading some comments. The people in the window and aisle seat were traveling together and split their seating probably because they knew they could not comfortably sit next to each other. You have the possibility of them sitting like that and having a conversation through you which can be uncomfortable. Then there is the fact that not even a small person would fit there comfortably. It appears they are in a row with a door. Do you think those two can safely get you outside that airplane in case of an emergency? The airlines have some blame too because they keep shrinking the seats.

The woman was rude, but I think she gets off free in this case. She was calling them out on their premeditated bs.

Old 01-30-2019, 07:09 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

35,607 posts, read 17,927,273 times
This is something the airline should have handled, quietly.

Seeing that the couple KNEW what they were doing, and the gate crew could see there wasn't room for a third (also overweight) person to sit between them.

It might be hard to catch something like that when you board, but not impossible. The person taking the boarding passes would have been able to predict the problem.

Old 01-30-2019, 07:14 AM

2,306 posts, read 1,702,086 times
This is why I buy first class when I fly (and because of that cost, why I don't fly a lot). You can't control other people and you can't control who you might sit next too. At least first class seats are bigger and spaced father apart. When I can, I book a first class seat all by itself.

Sure it costs a lot more money, but let's be honest, airfare is dirt cheap when compared to what it used to be. If you want to fly as comfortable as people did in the 1980s, you got to pay the price equivalent of the 1980s to do so.

Old 01-30-2019, 07:16 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
I got stuck on a plane one time in the middle seat between two incredibly obese people. The literally had to lift their rolls of fat to let me sit down and then plop them back down on top of me (apologizing the whole time). I could not move. there were no open seats on the plane. At least it was warm.

Old 01-30-2019, 07:28 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Since most airline seats are in sets of three, those two heavyweights could have split the cost of the middle seat. The airline should have a "girth limit". No excuses. If you weigh "XX" number of pounds you either pay for two seats, share the cost of a middle seat with another heavyweight or stay the hell off the plane.

Somebody's disgusting habit of overeating beyond commonsense doesn't trump our right to the seat/space we've paid for.
I have to agree. This is when political correctness goes too far. Literally. If a person is of normal weight, they should not be crowded out of their seat by an obese passenger. Flying is uncomfortable enough as it is. And no, skinny people should not have to pay more for a wider seat. It should be the reverse.

Old 01-30-2019, 07:39 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,371,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
Originally, I thought the blonde woman was rude, but then I was reading some comments. The people in the window and aisle seat were traveling together and split their seating probably because they knew they could not comfortably sit next to each other. .
If that's really true, then they deserved the humiliation.

Old 01-30-2019, 07:40 AM

9,523 posts, read 16,503,270 times
The 3 of them have no class at all. However its another sign of people fed up with the public. The woman in the middle should not be crushed in between like that. These 2 should be buying double seats, and the airline knows this. Its not fair to put a passenger in such An uncomfortable situation. Its just this political correctness is so out of hand. That bad behavior is now acceptable. Meaning the 2 oveweigts have more rights than the woman kicked off.

Still the woman told to leave, should not have behaved so poorly. The Airline should have enforced the 2 heavy people buy double seats. That purchase would have prevented the whole mess.

Old 01-30-2019, 07:48 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
So those even 2 didn't want to sit next to each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events