Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2019, 08:43 AM

3,941 posts, read 5,140,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samiamnh View Post
Airlines should charge by the pound.....how about $10 lb
A 100lb person flies for $100...…..300 lbs pay $3,000
Problem solved
Your math is off. The 100lb person would pay $1000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2019, 09:07 AM

13,441 posts, read 15,394,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
I'm exactly like you!

Why have reclining seats if you don't use them? It isn't like the seat in front of you is laying across your knees, and the tray fits just fine when it's down.

Maybe for someone obese the tray would be a tight fit on a big gut. Dunno?
I already said the reason - I’m taller than average with a short torso and long legs. I don’t have a gut. The seatback is slammed against my kneecaps. It is uncomfortable especially if I am unable to get an aisle seat. But I deal with it.

Old 02-03-2019, 12:35 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,751,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hackwriter View Post
It's the fault of the airlines for packing people in like sardines.

This is true, too. United definitely contributed to this, and they know it. That's why the whiner wasn't "booted" from the flight, but was accommodated by United, the next morning. In addition, United has a hell of a lot of nerve seating two obese passengers in the emergency exit row, to impede everyone's ingress snd egress should there be an emergency.

And if anyone thinks that those two "frequent travelers" don't employ this as a strategy for THEIR comfort--You take the aisle, I'll take the window-- hoping that no one will sit there and, effectively, giving them an additional seat for free, think again.

Old 02-03-2019, 01:06 PM

51,595 posts, read 25,609,840 times
Two incredibly large people cannot sit in two adjoining seats. They wouldn't fit.

They need a skinny person between them for this to work.

Old 02-03-2019, 02:06 PM

9,471 posts, read 9,335,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Two incredibly large people cannot sit in two adjoining seats. They wouldn't fit.

They need a skinny person between them for this to work.

It would be fun to see 3 huge people sit in adjoining seats! LOL

Old 02-03-2019, 04:11 PM

3,354 posts, read 1,174,852 times
At barely 5'3", I have to control the food desires to stay a good bit under 150 and that's quite overweight. I just don't see the point of being obese if one can do something about it. We cannot tell people how/what/when to consume, but geez, even I would have wanted to switch seats if I'd been sitting between them.

Old 02-03-2019, 04:16 PM

30,286 posts, read 51,807,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I don't think I have ever flown when I did not recline, as well as the person in front of me. That has never bothered me. Seats just don't recline that much - I've never understood why anyone would be bothered by that. But having someone beside me that so large that they are overflowing their seat into mine - THAT I have a problem with.
Because some of us have long legs (I'm only 5'5" but have ridiculously long legs for my height), and my bad knees don't like being slammed by your chair? Also, one time I was using my laptop on the tray table when the passenger in front of me suddenly reclined - causing the tray to close and BREAK my expensive computer. I tried stopping him as it was happening, just so I could remove the laptop first, but he ignored me like I didn't even exist. That's just plain rude and inconsiderate, no matter how you spin it.

I don't recline my seat unless it's a really long flight, because I'm (perhaps overly) aware of the comfort of other people. It also causes a chain reaction, and I'd hate to be the one jerk who started it. Personally I think they should take away the reclining option, at least until they manage to increase the ridiculously small amount of legroom.

Old 02-03-2019, 04:19 PM

30,286 posts, read 51,807,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aileesic View Post
At barely 5'3", I have to control the food desires to stay a good bit under 150 and that's quite overweight. I just don't see the point of being obese if one can do something about it. We cannot tell people how/what/when to consume, but geez, even I would have wanted to switch seats if I'd been sitting between them.
Key words in bold. It is rarely impossible to lose weight, but often much more difficult for some than others... otherwise almost everyone would be thin! And using yourself as an example is pointless, since everyone has a different body type/metabolism/etc. That's why I try to refrain from judging unless I know the person and their situation.

Old 02-03-2019, 05:01 PM

3,354 posts, read 1,174,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Key words in bold. It is rarely impossible to lose weight, but often much more difficult for some than others... otherwise almost everyone would be thin! And using yourself as an example is pointless, since everyone has a different body type/metabolism/etc. That's why I try to refrain from judging unless I know the person and their situation.

I've been at the point of not being able to do anything about my weight and could happen again, but doesn't mean that I would not want to at least try to work on it for health reasons. I did indeed say "If one can do something about it." Yes, it is difficult, but maybe not everyone would be thin or would want to be (that's getting into Western beauty standards which is a whole other topic). Guess I'm wrong for seeming to judge but I've been around too many people who enjoy glorifying "bigness" in a way that puts others down in about the same way as those who will body shame them for their size. It's just more of the "my way or no way" attitude, and there was plenty of that going around in this particular instance.

Old 02-03-2019, 06:16 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,079,054 times
Fascinating thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events