Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 11:40 AM

17,115 posts, read 15,334,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Define THIS. Which side are taking your anger out on?
This "story" of "fat-shaming."

People supporting her for reading a man's personal text messages.

I am definitely not "siding" with her.

And I'm in no way angry. Just slightly annoyed with this whole "body shaming" terminology, and everyone getting up in arms anytime anyone says something about fat people and unhealthy habits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2019, 07:01 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Mom calls out man who fat-shamed her on flight: 'I'm only sorry I couldn't take up more space'
Her attitude is the problem. What if three overweight people like her had to sit three in a row? Fat people can really only fit if they are flanked by skinny people.

If anything, she should be mad at the airline for the width of their seats. IMO fat people should get wider seats, but have to pay more for their tickets, since they weigh more.

Old 02-05-2019, 08:16 PM

1,286 posts, read 1,480,235 times
wonder how she would feel if she were seated between two morbidly obese people. hopefully she'd remember that they can take up as much space as they want, too, even if it bothers others.
Quote:
Because I will take up as much space as I want.
Quote:
We have nothing to be ashamed of. Our bodies help us accomplish incredible things and that is always worth celebrating.
celebrate your fat body being a burden on others, ya'll! Poor lil snowflake.

Old 02-05-2019, 08:38 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,397,206 times
I get that there are people who have health conditions like some form of diabetes that result in more body fat. However, taking up two seats is not cool. If you didn't pay for extra seats, darn you. Also, darn the fact that the FB post in the Yahoo article says "Sorry, this content isn't available right now".

Old 02-05-2019, 09:39 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
I guess it's too hard to understand that the issue here wasn't that she was crowding the crashing boor in question.

Old 02-06-2019, 02:43 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,755,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
They vary. The widest, on Frontier, are now 19.1" (only on some aircraft, through, and it's a middle seat).
The narrowest are on United, which has a few seats that are only 16.1" wide. Most airlines average 17-17.5". (For comparison, the average office chair or movie theater seat is 20-24" wide; that's the size of First Class on a domestic airline flight.)

Seat pitch (the distance between two rows of seats) varies a lot, too. You can have anything from 34" to a mere 28" in Economy.
What about people like me. I am big boned, and 6'2" tall.. My waist is 35 inches Doctors weight charts define my ideal weight to be 197 pounds. I vary, but stay within that ideal weight, by 2 pounds 1 way or another. I am not fat in any way, and my doctors do not want me to lose any weight.

My shoulder width is is 22 inches. Their is no way I will not overhang the seat.

Where I was raised, a lot of men were my size and taller. Being loggers,were muscular but not overweight due to hard work in redwood forests. I was raised on a large cattle ranch, and due to hard work, I was muscular, and have always been that way, and always just about doctor's charts for ideal weight. Yes I hang over both sides of the seat.

Some posters seem to think anyone not fitting into current seats should have to pay for 2 seats, that are designed for midgets, and other little people. In the past we had no problem with airline seats. I think we all should pay a little more and the airlines bring back seats that everyone can fit into, not seats made so small only little people people fit them.

Old 02-06-2019, 02:51 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,621,220 times
The airlines need to Quit making these coach seats smaller and smaller. There was a time when coach seats weren’t so narrow. Airlines are Putting profit over comfort. Some of these flights are too long to be that confined.

Old 02-06-2019, 07:03 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,297,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
This lady is seriously demented. What a stranger says about her in a private text is none of her business, as his opinion of her. None of her business. For her to confront this stranger about texts she spied on that were none of her business is crazy. For her to be so upset that he ignored her the rest of the flight is crazy. Her trying to confront him publicly after this non event has passed is, well, insane.
She needs a shrink.
As I see it her self esteem is low right now because she just had a baby, hasn't lost the baby weight and feels bad about herself. She should have just let it go instead of trying for her 15 minutes of fame.

Old 02-06-2019, 07:10 AM

17,262 posts, read 21,991,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
As I see it her self esteem is low right now because she just had a baby, hasn't lost the baby weight and feels bad about herself. She should have just let it go instead of trying for her 15 minutes of fame.
The more I think about it, was this all a publicity stunt as in the guy never sent the text? Maybe she dreamed up this scheme to get people to feel bad for her?

Old 02-06-2019, 07:11 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,369,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I think she realizes she's not as attractive to men any more and that can be a devastating moment in an insecure woman's life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events