Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2019, 06:11 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,620 posts, read 17,948,343 times

Advertisements

So here's the thing I don't get about people claiming they've been publicly shamed.

Often, they are NOT publicly shamed, but for some reason they call national attention to it.

Such is the case with this woman.

Only her seat mate knew he had said something unflattering about her. The guy he was texting did not know her at all and presumedly had no idea what she looks like.

So she takes it national, and puts her picture out there and states he said she weighs 2 tons. Who's shaming her? She is, actually.

Everyone who reads her outrage sums up her appearance in her bathroom photo, and tries to guess whether she could actually fit in an airplane seat, or whether she was spilling out of it into the seat mate's space. Everyone wonders if she's going through post partum that caused her to read a stranger's text message over his shoulder and try to pick a fight about it.

(Reminds me of that story a few years back of a plane full of passengers and suddenly they had to remove one of the checked suitcases out of the belly of the plane. There was a buzzing sound coming from a piece of luggage. On the tarmac, the security opened the suitcase in question and produced a vibrator, which had somehow switched to "on" in the suitcase, and they got a laugh out of it while the passengers on board the plane watched out their little windows. The woman whose suitcase it was made a big federal case out of it, how embarrassed she was, bla bla bla, but REALLY. NO ONE on that plane knew whose bag it was, and she wouldn't ever see them again anyway even if they some how called her to the front to account for her buzzing bag. As it turned out, she went public with how humiliated she felt and EVERYONE SHE KNOWS now knows she carries a vibrator with her on vacation. Geez)

In my day, if you were shamed, you tried to cover it up and hope no one would notice or remember.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2019, 06:35 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,555,181 times
This is just a non-story with a sad woman, this thread should go nowhere from here.
right?

Old 02-02-2019, 06:35 PM

19,423 posts, read 15,236,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
So here's the thing I don't get about people claiming they've been publicly shamed.

Often, they are NOT publicly shamed, but for some reason they call national attention to it.

Such is the case with this woman.

Only her seat mate knew he had said something unflattering about her. The guy he was texting did not know her at all and presumedly had no idea what she looks like.

So she takes it national, and puts her picture out there and states he said she weighs 2 tons. Who's shaming her? She is, actually.

Everyone who reads her outrage sums up her appearance in her bathroom photo, and tries to guess whether she could actually fit in an airplane seat, or whether she was spilling out of it into the seat mate's space. Everyone wonders if she's going through post partum that caused her to read a stranger's text message over his shoulder and try to pick a fight about it.

(Reminds me of that story a few years back of a plane full of passengers and suddenly they had to remove one of the checked suitcases out of the belly of the plane. There was a buzzing sound coming from a piece of luggage. On the tarmac, the security opened the suitcase in question and produced a vibrator, which had somehow switched to "on" in the suitcase, and they got a laugh out of it while the passengers on board the plane watched out their little windows. The woman whose suitcase it was made a big federal case out of it, how embarrassed she was, bla bla bla, but REALLY. NO ONE on that plane knew whose bag it was, and she wouldn't ever see them again anyway even if they some how called her to the front to account for her buzzing bag. As it turned out, she went public with how humiliated she felt and EVERYONE SHE KNOWS now knows she carries a vibrator with her on vacation. Geez)

In my day, if you were shamed, you tried to cover it up and hope no one would notice or remember.
Well, yes, this whole story is just ridiculous.

Old 02-02-2019, 07:38 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,066,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHNot4Me View Post
Every airline seat should be equipped with one of these: CREATE-A-SPACE
They'd be even better if they were shoulder height. Problems solved. :-)
If the guy reasonably thought what he was texting was private, then it's all on her for "eavesdropping" by looking at his device. That being said, I do wish people would try and be a little kinder to one another. Does this guy not have a sister or mother whose face he could mentally superimpose over this woman's, giving him some empathy as to how he would feel if someone shamed one of his loved ones? Her response of "wishing she could take up more room" was silly; why, maybe next time she flies, she could eat four bowls of Cheerios and a big can of baked beans four hours before the flight, so she could REALLY be offensive. Let's hope that we don't all eventually resort to responding to meanness with even more meanness. Gandhi was right, "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind".

I'll be the first to admit that air travel today sucks. It's a matter of time before airlines start putting us in capsules shaped like giant bullets, and then load us into the plane with mechanized equipment. Heck, it might even make a crash more survivable, who knows.

But until that happens, I have a solution: The "porcupine" sweatshirt. Hundreds of 1" long quills sewn into the shoulders and arms, guaranteed to keep people out of your space. Only problem is, if they made them in XXL, "people of size" would use them to claim space that is not theirs to begin with. Maybe, prosthetics that you can apply to your arms and shoulders such that it appears you are on your way to see Dr. Pimple Popper would do the trick. They could even be used as conversation starters, such as "Does this look infected to you?", or "I hope that big one doesn't burst when the cabin changes pressure!".

To quote Professor Farnsworth, "I don't want to live on this planet anymore"

Old 02-02-2019, 07:42 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,620 posts, read 17,948,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
If the guy reasonably thought what he was texting was private, then it's all on her for "eavesdropping" by looking at his device. That being said, I do wish people would try and be a little kinder to one another. Does this guy not have a sister or mother whose face he could mentally superimpose over this woman's, giving him some empathy as to how he would feel if someone shamed one of his loved ones? Her response of "wishing she could take up more room" was silly; why, maybe next time she flies, she could eat four bowls of Cheerios and a big can of baked beans four hours before the flight, so she could REALLY be offensive. Let's hope that we don't all eventually resort to responding to meanness with even more meanness. Gandhi was right, "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind".

I'll be the first to admit that air travel today sucks. It's a matter of time before airlines start putting us in capsules shaped like giant bullets, and then load us into the plane with mechanized equipment. Heck, it might even make a crash more survivable, who knows.

But until that happens, I have a solution: The "porcupine" sweatshirt. Hundreds of 1" long quills sewn into the shoulders and arms, guaranteed to keep people out of your space. Only problem is, if they made them in XXL, "people of size" would use them to claim space that is not theirs to begin with. Maybe, prosthetics that you can apply to your arms and shoulders such that it appears you are on your way to see Dr. Pimple Popper would do the trick. They could even be used as conversation starters, such as "Does this look infected to you?", or "I hope that big one doesn't burst when the cabin changes pressure!".

To quote Professor Farnsworth, "I don't want to live on this planet anymore"
Maybe he doesn't have anyone heavy in his family, not his mom, or his sisters. Maybe he's just tired of not having a comfortable flight if someone heavy is seated next to him. *shrug* I don't fly all that much, but maybe he flies all the time and is tired of being squished by people taking up his seat, and felt very frustrated that she clearly was going to be in that seat?

Old 02-02-2019, 08:15 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,694,537 times
I like fat people who shame themselves and have no problems joking about their weight.

Old 02-02-2019, 09:35 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,376,656 times
Her exact words:

"You did not even acknowledge my existence throughout the remainder of the flight. That’s fine. I do not need your validation."

She does need his validation. Because here's what else she said:

"She admitted that seeing the man express his hate made her feel “totally broken”.

This man was not her husband or boyfriend. They weren't on a 'date'. They just happened to sit next to each other on a plane and then went their separate ways. She's a real nutbag to expect anything out of him.

“He certainly did keep his distance from me deplaning…”

She's crazy. I wonder if she's going to stalk him.

Old 02-03-2019, 01:42 AM

1,142 posts, read 1,142,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I agree, but post-partum women are often touchy about their shape as well as just about everything else. Hormones, lack of sleep, all that adds up.
Then take it out on your hubby, or your baby daddy ( like my wife did), not some random stranger.

Old 02-03-2019, 10:06 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,314,963 times
It's a real estate issue imo. When you're big enough to have your own zip code....
If she read his text she should have tried to suck it in!
What a moron. It's miserable on a couple+ hour flight being even more cramped than normal.

Old 02-03-2019, 10:09 AM

11,049 posts, read 6,637,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
The whole "sacred mom" thing...don't get it. My sister does it and it drives me nuts. She's the same self-absorbed woman she was before she duplicated. Since when did producing viable offspring raise any female to one-step-lower-than-the-angels status???
LOL, "duplicated"--that's a good one. I don't get it either. But then I can't relate to desiring motherhood or achieving it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events