Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2018, 02:59 PM

587 posts, read 423,800 times

Advertisements

Terrible incident where the lady was stabbed by the panhandler she tried to help
Then rushed to hospital and died

Don't help crazy homeless panhandlers!

https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/03/us/ba...bed/index.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2018, 03:10 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,568,403 times
I struggle with this. Some I want to help. OR I at least don't mind if they are asking for change. Sure, change is no big deal, here. But one guy was so aggressive at my car window, that later I thought he could have just reached in and pulled the handle or anything else when I turned to GET the change.

There is a cat I go check on and give food to and his caretaker is a homeless man. I think. The store employees told me he isn't, I don't know.

He doesn't frighten me, but he annoys me. I feel rude or something giving to the cat and not him, but he wants beer. I mean. It would be just as annoying to be asked for anything every time, but for whatever reason asking for beer annoys me more.

I guess as beer is actually cheaper than food. Maybe I should look at it that way. IDK. I have to figure that out especially for holidays, BUT......

As sad as so many cases are, we would do well to remember that a lot of people are homeless due to having criminal records that cause them not to be able to get jobs, are on drugs and could be dangerous, or are mentally ill and could be dangerous. Most MI people are not, but some are.

Ideally, giving to local organizations that assist them is the safest way to help.

Old 12-03-2018, 03:21 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I struggle with this. Some I want to help. OR I at least don't mind if they are asking for change. Sure, change is no big deal, here. But one guy was so aggressive at my car window, that later I thought he could have just reached in and pulled the handle or anything else when I turned to GET the change.

There is a cat I go check on and give food to and his caretaker is a homeless man. I think. The store employees told me he isn't, I don't know.

He doesn't frighten me, but he annoys me. I feel rude or something giving to the cat and not him, but he wants beer. I mean. It would be just as annoying to be asked for anything every time, but for whatever reason asking for beer annoys me more.

I guess as beer is actually cheaper than food. Maybe I should look at it that way. IDK. I have to figure that out especially for holidays, BUT......

As sad as so many cases are, we would do well to remember that a lot of people are homeless due to having criminal records that cause them not to be able to get jobs, are on drugs and could be dangerous, or are mentally ill and could be dangerous. Most MI people are not, but some are.

Ideally, giving to local organizations that assist them is the safest way to help.
I used to struggle with it but I no longer do. The reason is people CAN do something to get out of a situation. Everyone deep down knows how to do the right thing. Too lazy too stupid too whatever. Sorry I dont lose any sleep over it.

As far as a criminal record ....they chose to steal rob beat someone up or whatever landed them in jail or gave them a record. That’s a choice you make. Anyone could of gone the criminal route yet a lot of people are law abiding citizens and didn’t choose a life of crime. You make your bed you lie in it. Dont expect me to feel sorry for you.

With children or animals...I have a soft spot. They get placed in situations they have no control over or know how to get out of them.

Old 12-03-2018, 03:53 PM

52,269 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Another reason why I'm glad I stopped giving money or whatever to homeless people directly. We give to local rescue mission here in my city that does a pretty good job of helping out the community.

You never know what's going on in people's heads.

Old 12-03-2018, 04:10 PM

17,204 posts, read 15,404,507 times
I've worked with some hard criminals in the past. They can get jobs. Plenty of places will hire them. A record is not an excuse.

Old 12-03-2018, 04:14 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,831,521 times
How sad.

Then there's the spokesmouth, urging people to be cautious, "though our crime rate is going down."

Maybe on the planet that he's from. But not in Baltimore.

Old 12-03-2018, 04:15 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,568,403 times
If I am asked for FOOD, I cannot say no. I can't. To me it's a sin. And even if I didn't believe in the Golden Rule from a God perspective, it's a good rule in general. How would I like it if I was hungry and no one would help me obtain food?

It is frustrating and complicated for me with drug addicts. And my good experiences outweigh the bad.

The best was a man who POLITELY approached at a FF place. Started to tell his long story. Didn't seem to be high or anything. I said you don't have to tell me your whole story. We all need help sometimes. Do you want a meal? (money would have been a no go, or very little. Like change)

'Yes, praise God, anything at all, I would appreciate'. OK, that attitude caused me to want to buy a whole meal, and he wasn't aggressively near my window. I appreciated that too. I asked what he likes on his burger and choice of beverage. He politely waited for me where I said to - the well lit part I would be able to drive out to after gaining the food.

I cannot repeat that everyday. I can't afford to-go food for myself everyday.

The next time was awful. This lady was cranked up. But she WAS asking for food. I said ok, but at that time, I was really, really short on money myself. What I was getting for myself was a $2 item and water.

I offered a BREAKFAST sandwich because they are cheaper, but hey, it's food, a little to get you on your way.

She ordered for herself a meal AND AN APPLE PIE. If Whataburger didn't trap us in the drive through, I might have cancelled the order and driven away. She stayed at my window the entire waiting time making my skin crawl. Back off me!

Then she runs off to the front to get a meal from someone else! Now I am buying her a second meal, and she is yelling at the lady who works there at her window that she didn't get enough gravy with her first meal. I was like OMG.

At this point I cannot cancel as it's unfair to Whataburger. The employee was like *I* paid for your meal out of my pocket and extra gravy costs extra. She ended up getting the extra gravy to make the woman go away. I was kinda mad. Did the $ amount hurt me? No, but it was a sacrifice. I have a small budget for eating out of any kind and it was so rude.

And that sort of behavior makes people wary of giving. I guess that is what I really hate. I don't have a crystal ball to know who is genuinely in need and who is taking advantage.

Another time at the same location, again mine is $2 and water. I had only taken $2 with me. But I was given a receipt with a survey to phone in for a free burger. I offered that which was met with rage.

I stopped going there for a long time because of that.

Most of my life people asking for food or anything at all were few and far between and quite easy to say yes.

Now there are hoards. For my own safety I am going to have to stay away. Perhaps budget an amount to give to a local org that helps people near me. The safe way to help. Because for me helping is mandatory.

Old 12-03-2018, 04:18 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,087,687 times
I don't give money to the homeless. IMO, if your immediate and/or extended family can't help you then that is a very telling sign. Either they don't like you or you don't like them.

Old 12-03-2018, 04:21 PM

17,204 posts, read 15,404,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
I don't give money to the homeless. IMO, if your immediate and/or extended family can't help you then that is a very telling sign. Either they don't like you or you don't like them.
I agree.

I'll offer food, if anything. Money? No.

Old 12-03-2018, 04:21 PM

45,396 posts, read 60,592,880 times
If you read the story it's a bit more involved than "panhandler stabs victim". It looks as though it was a scheme to do a purse snatch. Victim stops to give money, accomplice grabs purse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events