Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 09:46 AM

880 posts, read 531,965 times

Advertisements

I have zero sympathy for the 9yr old. My son was targeted on the bus in the beginning of kindergarten, 1st and 2nd, and developed such a huge fear around going to school in the mornings that i had to start driving him, I told his teacher that i would get on the bus if it continued, the school sorted it but it was still a horrible way to start the school year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2019, 09:48 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,630 posts, read 17,968,125 times
For those faulting the bus driver; this episode DID end, obviously.

I wonder how? The video I can see shows the 9 year old attempting the pummel someone - presumedly the kindergartner's mother.

Old 02-18-2019, 10:03 AM

4,992 posts, read 5,290,988 times
Most bus drivers will allow a known parent or guardian to stand on the bus steps to converse with the driver. The bus driver could not read that woman's mind. At the point where she had gone after the child, she had gone into psycho territory. We don't know the physical condition of the driver, all the bus driver may have been physically able to do is call the bus barn or 911.

Old 02-18-2019, 11:18 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,474,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
Most bus drivers will allow a known parent or guardian to stand on the bus steps to converse with the driver. The bus driver could not read that woman's mind. At the point where she had gone after the child, she had gone into psycho territory. We don't know the physical condition of the driver, all the bus driver may have been physically able to do is call the bus barn or 911.
Her bus. Her responsibility. It's up to her to defend her actions.

Old 02-18-2019, 11:48 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Adults don't wail on anyone's children for any reason. Period! End of story.

I'd fire that bus driver too. Where was he while the child was being beaten down by that enraged, uncivilized monstrosity?

I can't even believe what passes for human today. I demand a recount.
The bus drivers are helpless. This kind of thing has been going on for decades. Even rapes have taken place on school buses, and the drivers can't do anything. That's why some schools have adult chaperones on the buses, but a video went viral a few years ago, of some kids spending the bus ride being verbally abusive to the chaperone just sitting quietly in her seat. It's too expensive for the schools, apparently, to equip the buses with a phone or radio to the police.

Old 02-18-2019, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
If the driver could call 911, why didn't he, when the older child was punching the younger kid? This type of violent behavior on school buses has been a national scandal for a long time, and still no solution has been found or implemented.

Old 02-18-2019, 12:25 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,474,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The bus drivers are helpless. This kind of thing has been going on for decades. Even rapes have taken place on school buses, and the drivers can't do anything. That's why some schools have adult chaperones on the buses, but a video went viral a few years ago, of some kids spending the bus ride being verbally abusive to the chaperone just sitting quietly in her seat. It's too expensive for the schools, apparently, to equip the buses with a phone or radio to the police.

I'm afraid you're right, Ruth.

Back in my day, the bus driver only needed to pull the bus to the shoulder and wait for us to settle down. And all we were doing was talking too loud for safety's sake. None of us ever had to worry about being raped or beaten or abused in any way. I can hardy fathom the issues and problems of today, and sadly nobody has a solution.

Old 02-18-2019, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
I'm afraid you're right, Ruth.

Back in my day, the bus driver only needed to pull the bus to the shoulder and wait for us to settle down. And all we were doing was talking too loud for safety's sake. None of us ever had to worry about being raped or beaten or abused in any way. I can hardy fathom the issues and problems of today, and sadly nobody has a solution.
I've been on board city transit, when the driver (unjustifiably, IMO--long story) pulled over, locked the doors, and called police, because one passenger got anxious and upset about missing his stop. So the city buses do have some kind of communication equipment for emergencies. They didn't used to, when I was a kid, but it seems they became a necessity. However, school budgets and school buses operate in their own world, under their own conditions, so.... there's no solution in sight.

And yes, times have changed. Kids don't sit fairly quietly in their seats in school for the most part, anymore, either.

Old 02-18-2019, 12:51 PM

50,815 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
Adults can't hit (other people's) kids. Period. Full Stop.

No surprises here. And what the hello kind of bus driver allowed this to happen???
You're right on target.

The only people who should ever be on a school bus are the driver, the kids, and school or public officials.
Writing as a retired principal, no parent should be allowed to get on a school bus for any reason. So number one, the bus driver needs to go.

Number 2, the parent who hit a non-related child should be arrested and charged.

Old 02-18-2019, 12:53 PM

50,815 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
The mother of the 9-year-old is right. That dame had no business putting her hands on anyone else's child. And why did the bus driver allow her to get on?

The allegation that her kid hit that woman's child doesn't excuse it, either. One thing has nothing to do with the other.
Dame?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events