Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2019, 09:46 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,536,713 times

Advertisements

I like how he plays the victim here.
Quote:
At the moment, Memmo, who said he was released from jail after a few hours, is looking for a lawyer to handle his case. If found guilty, Memmo faces the prospect of up to 15 years in prison for the two charges, as well as thousands of dollars in fines and the various legal fees he expects to accrue as he goes about mounting his defense.

“Luckily, I have the money to take care of the situation,” he said. “But that’s my hard-earned money that I have to pay to defend myself for something that was delivered to my doorstep.”
It his dumbassery that got him in this mess. All he hd to do was the right thing, but at every chance he had to do that, he chose to lie or ignore calls from the police and delivery company.

A delivery truck mistakenly brought an 86-inch TV to his home — then the cops took him to jail
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2019, 09:51 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,250,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I like how he plays the victim here.

It his dumbassery that got him in this mess. All he hd to do was the right thing, but at every chance he had to do that, he chose to lie or ignore calls from the police and delivery company.

A delivery truck mistakenly brought an 86-inch TV to his home — then the cops took him to jail
There is no law that states you have to answer your phone. There is no law that states that you even have to have a phone.

Old 06-13-2019, 10:23 AM

50,838 posts, read 36,551,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
There is no law that states you have to answer your phone. There is no law that states that you even have to have a phone.
No but then the police show up at your door, which they did.

Old 06-13-2019, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
No there is no “except in the case of mistaken delivery” in any of the laws. Those words are not there anywhere. Please stop posting misinformation. I have quoted the laws in their entirety, multiple times, along with the links for everyone to see for themself, if you don't believe I'm quoting them correctly.

I know I'm batting my head against a brick wall, but I will post them again.

General Law - Part I, Title XV, Chapter 93, Section 43

39 U.S. Code § 3009 - Mailing of unordered merchandise _ U.S. Code _ US Law _ LII _ Legal Information Institute
[/quote]

I can’t do this again. It’s not applicable in this case. Again if local car dealership drops your neighbors new car in your driveway, you don’t get to keep it. Those laws are not about this type situation they are about unsolicited goods deliberately sent to you, not mistaken deliveries.

Old 06-13-2019, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
No but then the police show up at your door, which they did.
Seems to me a civil matter. The police aren't a collection agency. It doesn't even seem clear he broke any laws.

Old 06-13-2019, 10:26 AM

Quote:

I can’t do this again. It’s not applicable in this case. Again if local car dealership drops your neighbors new car in your driveway, you don’t get to keep it. Those laws are not about this type situation they are about unsolicited goods deliberately sent to you, not mistaken deliveries.

So what are the laws that cover this? If you dispute the ones posted, you need to provide laws to the contrary.

Old 06-13-2019, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Seems to me a civil matter. The police aren't a collection agency. It doesn't even seem clear he broke any laws.
The police were at his door multiple times. The local store where the tv was delivered from called after the guy repeatedly refused to give back a tv they were supposed to have delivered to another address. Of course it’s not civil, it’s theft. In the same category of trying to keep $5,000 the bank accidentally deposited in your account. It might be fun to think Finders Keepers is the law but it’s not.

Old 06-13-2019, 11:06 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,764,676 times
Quote:
He was charged with larceny and misleading a police officer. Those aren't civil matters.

Old 06-13-2019, 11:25 AM

Quote:
The police were at his door multiple times. The local store where the tv was delivered from called after the guy repeatedly refused to give back a tv they were supposed to have delivered to another address. Of course it’s not civil, it’s theft. In the same category of trying to keep $5,000 the bank accidentally deposited in your account. It might be fun to think Finders Keepers is the law but it’s not.
It might be but until the law that counters the only one posted is provided, at best it might be.

Old 06-13-2019, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
He was charged with larceny and misleading a police officer. Those aren't civil matters.
Being charged with something does not make it factual. He says he does not remember if he signed or not. He might be lying but prove it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events